Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

We received a bill from the freight company for more than she made for the entire project - including what she charged the client for freight.  

44 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Sent all the paperwork over to my distributor, she's going to get it straightened out for us - I hope so, because otherwise we're $600 out of pocket, because at this point, the panel has been delivered, and I don't think we're going to be able to get the client to pony up the extra. 

That sucks so much. Sorry you're having to go through all that headache and worry.

9 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

Probably, I once went in for lint rollers and ended up buying a sofa, painting desk, double/single bunk bed and a side table :zombie:

DSCN3576.thumb.JPG.d97bcb51942a4265e7d5842b51a903b3.JPG

Looks like someone's called dibs on your painting desk, and the motion has found support. Time to go back to Ikea for another painting desk...

• Like 2
  • Haha 13
4 hours ago, kristof65 said:

My morning started off with a customer asking me how to wire a 24Vdc motor into a system that requires a 110Vac one. 

So, every time I get frustrated dealing with the idiocy at my job, you post something like this and I get to go "well, it could be worse".  

So thank you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12
2 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

So, every time I get frustrated dealing with the idiocy at my job, you post something like this and I get to go "well, it could be worse".  

So thank you.

And I get to read replies like this, which is why I still post these stories. 

So thank you. ::D:

I should fess up that I post these stories here because it's my release, and it's a relatively safe space to do so. At least until I finally run across a customer who shares my hobby and figures out the connection between my screen name and real name. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 7
On 9/20/2020 at 1:29 PM, Mad Jack said:

Dammit, I want my Ren Faire back... :devil::down:

I need corn chowder. And chicken and dumplings.

Signs I Might Be A New Englander:  I eat corn chowder for breakfast. Sometimes cold.

That's not the sign of a New Englander.

That's the sign of an OLD New Englander!

And OLD Irish, too. Granmum, Granda, and Grumpy, when we visited them in Minnesota.

• Like 6

I woke without hangover and scrambled some eggs. It was nice.

D&D memes I make have started circling back to the groups in which I initially shared them and are getting more likes than they did when I posted them in the first place. This is also nice.

I hope my parents are proud of all their baby boy has accomplished with his life.

• Like 13

Here you go @Dilvish the Deliverer- they get dumber. 

24Vdc motor guy doesn't understand why the electrical connector is different between the 110Vac version and the 24Vdc version.  Wants me to send him the "right" connector. 

I'm tempted to just do so, even though I know that it will likely cost him thousands to repair the damage he'll do. 

And now I've got another guy who bought brand new doors and controls and put them on used units that he bought from "some guy online" - he's now having all sorts of problems with the units, and somehow it's my responsibility to keep them running? 

Edited by kristof65
whoops - tagged wrong person
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 4
2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Looks like someone's called dibs on your painting desk, and the motion has found support. Time to go back to Ikea for another painting desk...

If he can make a dent in my mini backlog, then he's more than welcome to it!

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

Well, tonight is the first meeting of my homebrew club's 2020-2021 season. We cancelled the last of the 2019-2020 meetings due to Covid, and we cancelled the summer picnic due to same. Which is a real shame because the picnic is at a really nice and private gun club and it's the only time of the year I get to fire the 8mm Mauser grandpa brought back from Europe in the 40's (don't worry, the rule is no kegs tapped until all guns are put away). We're still not getting together in person, but no one is willing to let a 25 year old club become a victim of the virus, so we're meeting tonight virtually. I predict a lot of people drunkenly talking over one another until the club president finally mutes us all so he can go over business. I'm happy we're doing something, but am a bit disappointed I won't get to share a growler of my Pineapple IPA (version 2.0) with friends. But it's an awfully attractive beer, so at least it will look good on screen. And if anyone asks I can lie as say it tastes like the best beer they've ever had (always look on the bright side, right?). And as long as my wife doesn't rat me out no one will know any different! Cheers!

1454354152_IMG_20200920_010725233_HDR(1).thumb.jpg.e5924efafd182ef739dee62c805e68d1.jpg

• Like 18
14 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:
36 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

If he can make a dent in my mini backlog, then he's more than welcome to it!

can sharks see color?

In fairness to the shark, she never said they had to be painted well!

12 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

I'm happy we're doing something, but am a bit disappointed I won't get to share a growler of my Pineapple IPA (version 2.0) with friends. But it's an awfully attractive beer, so at least it will look good on screen.

1454354152_IMG_20200920_010725233_HDR(1).thumb.jpg.e5924efafd182ef739dee62c805e68d1.jpg

That does look good. Unless that's secretly a cup of your paint rinse-water... which still looks delicious.

How pineappley is the flavor? Do you recommend floating a round of pineapple on top of it, or is that just crazy talk?

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
5 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

That does look good. Unless that's secretly a cup of your paint rinse-water... which still looks delicious.

How pineappley is the flavor? Do you recommend floating a round of pineapple on top of it, or is that just crazy talk?

Thanks. That is indeed the beer. The paint water tends to resemble more of a brown ale. 

The pineapple flavor isn't really out front. It's brewed with a bunch of New Zealand hops added late in the process to avoid a lot of bitterness. Those hops have a very "tropical fruit" flavor going on when added late. So the idea is to make a beer where it starts with that crisp beer flavor you get in a pale ale, and then has a fruity finish where you can't tell if it's hops or fruit you're tasting. Which it does pretty well. You could perceivably add actual pineapple to it, but I think at that point it would become too fruity. Right now the fruit flavor is last in what you taste, with a pineapple slice it would be all you'd taste. As it stands it's kind of a refreshing  beer that goes down really easy. But with around 8% alcohol. 

• Like 9