Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

6 minutes ago, Adept Legacy said:

Well, I bought some cheap sealing crap from my local michaels. Wish me luck. I guess that explains the $55/can price on Amazon for Dullcote.

Second day back in the office is significantly less heinous than the last.

if I ever am allowed to travel across the border again, hopefully I can smuggle some cans across the border for my fellow Canadian painters!

but if I get arrested for trafficking in contraband artistic materials, its going to be difficult to explain to my boss!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Inarah said:
13 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

So we're going to have him replace the whole panel, upgrade the fans with GFIC and wire a proper generator link.  Then when the power goes out while we're all trapped at home we'll be able to at least keep our freezer, fridge and furnace on.  Or we won't lose power and that will also be JUST FINE BY ME!!!  

I'm old enough, and living in a home that age, that this sounds cool and exciting.   I mean, what could be a better way to spend money than to have new wiring installed so there aren't any spontaneous electrical fires, all the lights work, and using the microwave doesn't blow the kitchen fuse every time?   Hope the job goes smoothly. 

It's a lovely dream... (in our case, it was, for a while anyway, cold-boot my computer; blow the breaker for Andi's office (what.). I no longer have my box on a UPS, so that doesn't happen anymore, but... it takes very little to blow that breaker, and I am terrified to contemplate why.

Also, just for something different, one of the cats left a mouse in the bedding, where I found it this morning. A once-living, little grey mouse, not a felt or otherwise fake mouse.

I don't know which cat was actually responsible; none of the three on the bed when I woke up would take credit.

Such mighty hunters... 

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Also, just for something different, one of the cats left a mouse in the bedding, where I found it this morning. A once-living, little grey mouse, not a felt or otherwise fake mouse.

I don't know which cat was actually responsible; none of the three on the bed when I woke up would take credit.

Such mighty hunters... 

That's more like a psychotic death threat... or they decided to make you an offer you can't refuse... ::o:

36 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

but if I get arrested for trafficking in contraband artistic materials, its going to be difficult to explain to my boss!

Tell him that art transcends all boundaries?

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

For those that can't get enough Pumpkin Spice in their life... Canadians are getting a treat from Kraft. That's right pumpkin spice KD... 

No, that's not purple, or meant to be. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

For those that can't get enough Pumpkin Spice in their life... Canadians are getting a treat from Kraft. That's right pumpkin spice KD... 

What in the hundred mortified hells?!

What depraved brain matter could possibly have been responsible?!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Sylverthorne said:
5 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

The same fools that rolled out Mac N Cheese in the various Cheetos flavors?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TripleH said:
4 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:
8 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

The same fools that rolled out Mac N Cheese in the various Cheetos flavors?

... What. the un-bifurcated. pantsless. *censored*??!

There are times I think humanity might be salvagable. And then somebody informs me that stuff like this exists, which tells me somebody thought this was a good idea, which ... *flail*

I am a simple goblin! I like my cheese fresh! Stinky is fine, as long as there are crackers! .. and maybe apples. And ham... mmh... now I want a cheese plate. Drat.

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

I'm wiped and my back is shot and all I did was fill the dishwasher. :unsure:

In other news, I'm getting the diorama going. I decided to add something else to fill some space. I /really/ want a mini, preferably plastic and in scale with Bones and is like 1920s-esque) that is kneeling down and inspecting the ruins I'm going to make. I already have a standing professor guy. 

Not a hard ask at all...

• Like 8

On 9/21/2020 at 2:56 PM, PaganMegan said:

That's not the sign of a New Englander.

That's the sign of an OLD New Englander!

And OLD Irish, too.

Well, middle-aged, anyway... lol.

But, true facts....

My maternal grandmother's side of the family have apparently been New England farm folk for a fair number of generations, although on my maternal grandfather's side I believe he was the first generation born here after the move from Sicily.

My dad's side of the family came over from Cork, Ireland sometime in the mid-1930's. My father is the youngest of nine kids, six of whom were born in Ireland.

21 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Ow, ow, ow!

I can taste it with my sinuses without putting my toungue in it.

13 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

If it tastes like you're drinking a buzzsaw, then it's made properly.

Good ginger beer burns the soul.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Ugghh.  Today's fight is not with a customer, but with my manufacturer. 

I came into this contract position because they bought out the company I worked for as service manager back in 2006. A lot of the sites I service now have had their equipment that long. 

One of my customer's needed a fiberglass part for an older discontinued model (but not obsolete), and the part came without mounting studs. 

The purchasing agent and production manager at the manufacturer now are trying to tell me that part does not and never did have a set of mounting studs, that it was glued in place.  It's true that it was originally designed to be glued in place, but the epoxy started failing after a couple years at many sites and it was redesigned to have mounting studs embedded in the fiberglass.  I know this because I was heavily involved in the redesign, and as the service manager at the time, I am the one who pushed for it by showing it was less expensive to redesign it than it was to continue warranty coverage for failing epoxy.  

So yes, when they bought out my old company, the part was manufactured with mounting studs, and it was for the two years after that before they discontinued it in 2008. There is a change order or revision that should be associated with the drawing, but they can't find it - it's been lost sometime in the intervening years. But because they can't find that change order, they're sticking to their guns that I'm remembering wrong. Even though all of the new equipment with fiberglass has mounting studs. 

I'm the reason that ALL of the fiberglass parts since 2005 now have mounting studs, and yet somehow I'm remembering it wrong?  Furthermore, even if I did remember it wrong, why just assume that a brand new replacement part should be glued instead of asking about the studs, when everything else uses studs? 

• Like 5
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, Adept Legacy said:

Well, I bought some cheap sealing crap from my local michaels. Wish me luck. I guess that explains the $55/can price on Amazon for Dullcote.

Second day back in the office is significantly less heinous than the last.

Good luck!

If it works decently well, make sure to let us know what it is.

• Like 7

Oh crap...

I was just informed that the factory has been gluing on the fiberglass for the last 18 months - they discontinued the use of studs.   That explains why they assumed no studs. 

It also means that if history is any guide, then the next 6-18 months will start to see a bunch of epoxy failures in the bond between the fiberglass and the stainless steel, and sites demanding warranty coverage. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 15