Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

My calves are officially fat-less. Everything else is still medically considered well marbled.

Today is day 1 low carb and my wife already says I sound like an angry miserable foil of myself.

Am I doing it right?

For the smuggled dullcote, I think I am going to have to figure out how my colleague got a box shipped to him. But if anyone is bringing some by Airdrie, Alberta I know a guy who needs many.

That guy is me.

• Like 9

I ended up using Sir Guy Malagent - retired villain of the old school, as a talking head to get the PCs up to date with what is going on.

My 'problem player' was also very helpful - and filled people in on Big Blue.

He also found the idea that the club was trying to recruit Big Blue as a 'retired villain' hilarious.

Good times, good times. ::):

The Auld Grump - I did have the 'problem player' change one thing in his summer write up - the Deputy Medical Examiner is well aware that he helped talk her boss down from turning dark, and would not have complained.

So, we created sergeant in the other shift to be his nemesis instead.

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, Adept Legacy said:

My calves are officially fat-less. Everything else is still medically considered well marbled.

Today is day 1 low carb and my wife already says I sound like an angry miserable foil of myself.

Am I doing it right?

For the smuggled dullcote, I think I am going to have to figure out how my colleague got a box shipped to him. But if anyone is bringing some by Airdrie, Alberta I know a guy who needs many.

That guy is me.

Some people take really well to low carb. Some don't. Give it two (unruly) weeks and see what happens. If it's right for you you'll feel better, if it isn't then you'll get all itchy and/or you'll stay all mad. Also, keto flu is often a salt loss issue and tends to be mitigated by extra salt, bacon in the morning tends to help.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, TripleH said:

The same fools that rolled out Mac N Cheese in the various Cheetos flavors?

Little known fact. Mac N Cheese is one of the four recognized Canadian food groups.

The other three being maple syrup, doughnut holes, and poutine.

1 hour ago, Adept Legacy said:

Am I doing it right?

Considering that the high-carb Canadian food groups are no-nos, being angry and miserable is to be expected.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3
  • Haha 11

Sir Cyr took a while of being grumpy on no carb then ended up feeling good on it. However, he had horrid death-breath from the ketosis.

Not sure how well a veggie no-carb thing would go (pondering for myself). Can definitely do a better-carb thing.... but none? That would be horrid. Glad I can kinda slam as many carbs as I'm inclined to do in the first place. Then again, lentils and avocados are kinda rad, and with those you nail the protein and fat sooooo.... maybe?

NAH. I'm keeping my veggie burgers on buns and whatnot. May need to switch things up if Sir Cyr goes low/no carb again though, because he eats MY food, and I need my glorious carbs and always have. The real hit to me would be my breakfast toast. He likes to steal my breakfast bread, and my breakfast bread is my daily dose of saturated fat via butter (too much saturated fat is bad, too little is bad for brain). I guess I could switch to fried eggs... more protein is good....

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

Little known fact. Mac N Cheese is one of the four recognized Canadian food groups.

The other three being maple syrup, doughnut holes, and poutine.

Considering that the high-carb Canadian food groups are no-nos, being angry and miserable is to be expected.

Reading this made me think about this skit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TnWIICkBeE

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Brain weasels ahead

Spoiler

My older cat (18 or 19 years old) has been dehydrated. We've been taking her once a week to the vet for a while to get fluids in her. Well the vet decided she needs more fluids than they can give her in one go. So we've been instructed to give her subcutaneous fluids twice a week. Tonight was supposed to be the first night. We rigged up the bag of fluids on a hanger and hung the bag from our ceiling light so gravity could do most of the work. Well...getting the needle in was harder than expected. The first try it didn't go in at all and we got saline all over the cat, she's not too miffed by this but she is still wet. Then the second time it may have gone in but not deep enough and fluids didn't go in that time either. So we stopped so we wouldn't traumatize the cat and are going to look up videos on how to do it (I dunno why that didn't occur to us sooner). So Friday we try again. It perks her up quite a bit so it's worth it I just don't want to hurt her in the process.

• Sad 17

2 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Brain weasels ahead

Had to do that with one of my older cats years ago. It does help, once you get the hang of it. Mine didn't seem to mind. 

22 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Not sure how well a veggie no-carb thing would go (pondering for myself). Can definitely do a better-carb thing.... but none? That would be horrid. Glad I can kinda slam as many carbs as I'm inclined to do in the first place. Then again, lentils and avocados are kinda rad, and with those you nail the protein and fat sooooo.... maybe?

Veggies are carbs, and are the basis of most of the keto/low carb diets out there, though it is the meat that often get emphasized in the media.  You can usually eat as much of the green leafy and veggie stuff as you want.  Not sure about lentils, but cheese, eggs, and tofu are all low carb proteins. 

Am I doing it right?

You can expect to feel like crap for anywhere from two days to a week before the ketosis kicks in. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Brain weasels ahead

Hide contents

My older cat (18 or 19 years old) has been dehydrated. We've been taking her once a week to the vet for a while to get fluids in her. Well the vet decided she needs more fluids than they can give her in one go. So we've been instructed to give her subcutaneous fluids twice a week. Tonight was supposed to be the first night. We rigged up the bag of fluids on a hanger and hung the bag from our ceiling light so gravity could do most of the work. Well...getting the needle in was harder than expected. The first try it didn't go in at all and we got saline all over the cat, she's not too miffed by this but she is still wet. Then the second time it may have gone in but not deep enough and fluids didn't go in that time either. So we stopped so we wouldn't traumatize the cat and are going to look up videos on how to do it (I dunno why that didn't occur to us sooner). So Friday we try again. It perks her up quite a bit so it's worth it I just don't want to hurt her in the process.

That's rough. The one time I tried to give my dog a shot I wussed out. Despite growing up on a farm and all I am just not cut out for that sort of thing.

. . .

I have bad animal news: The wiener came home from the vet today, but just for the night. His bladder won't let him pee anymore. Wife wanted to say goodbye, and they're taking him back in in the morning. Pretty bummed. She's feeding him good things and loving on him.

Wife's doing well with the 'rona tho. Saw the doctor today, and, despite feeling a little rougher this weekend, x-ray was clear of pneumonia now. Looks like she's turned the corner.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 4
  • Sad 13

Am I doing it right?

Probably.

I went low-carb for two weeks once to drop a weight class for the Ruckus in Columbus (not the actual name of the event, but I want my Muhammad Ali moment). It was miserable, I hated every minute of it, and I am sure my pad-holders felt every ounce of it. Combined with a lot of cardio on top of diet and training, I lost the 10 lbs. And then ate a whole pound of pasta right after weigh-in. Spaghetti never tasted so good.

Good luck. Don't push the diet to extremes, all things in moderation and all that jazz (and know the symptoms of ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis = bad).

• Like 6

After at least 17 different test pieces, I think I finally figured out how to do the pattern on the rim of this glass plate commission I landed.  Doing a smaller test plate using all the same techniques I've got in mind for the real thing.  First pieces for that cut and into the kiln just now. 

• Like 14

I kinda wanna make marbles.

To replace those I've lost, obvs.

But also srsly tho.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Oh crap...

I was just informed that the factory has been gluing on the fiberglass for the last 18 months - they discontinued the use of studs.   That explains why they assumed no studs. 

It also means that if history is any guide, then the next 6-18 months will start to see a bunch of epoxy failures in the bond between the fiberglass and the stainless steel, and sites demanding warranty coverage. 

Sounds like you were one change order behind…

Perhaps there is hope that they did not go back to the original Epoxy?  Maybe they specified a new Epoxy with better long-term bond characteristics. Process looked like:

1)  Use Epoxy to attach fiberglass

• Problem: Bond fails

2) Use studs to attach fiberglass

• Problem: extra expense due to extra steps, extra hardware, fasteners, etc. if studs are used

3) Research different Epoxies, find one with more durability, replace studs and hardware by bonding fiberglass with improved epoxy.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Brain weasels ahead

Hide contents

I've been doing this for a couple of years for our Toothless Tigress.  It's daily at this point.  I normally just lay  her on her side in my lap on the floor, pull up the skin of her scruff to form a triangular pocket, and stab into that.  It does take some practice to keep from punching through one of the sides.  I'll often err on the side of caution and not stick the needle in all the way.  You'll get a feel for where the needle is after a while.  Giving treats afterwards has generally improved her attitude about being grabbed for the next session.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Brutus takes his antibiotics well, he's the only dog i ever had that just eats it when I put it in his food.

His predecessors alwaus found ways to spit it out ( even when stuffed in cheese, I had one who ate three pieces of cheese the meds were in the second piece, swallowed all and then spit out the pill he had been hiding in his cheeks).

Now hoping it will really help this time, we will know end of next week.

Youngest is going to be tested for the plague today. We will have to wait a few days for the results.

Hope it's just a cold or we will have to cancel a dinner appointment ( the first in months and we were really looking forward to it).

I wish 2020 was a person, I'm willing to do time for killing that one.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1