Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

16 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

if I ever am allowed to travel across the border again, hopefully I can smuggle some cans across the border for my fellow Canadian painters!

but if I get arrested for trafficking in contraband artistic materials, its going to be difficult to explain to my boss!

14 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

For those that can't get enough Pumpkin Spice in their life... Canadians are getting a treat from Kraft. That's right pumpkin spice KD... 

No, that's not purple, or meant to be. 

Now we know what happened to the Dullcote of Canada...Kraft has declared war upon The Great Pumpkin! Perhaps the Dullcote shortage is merely a side attack against the Forumites there, perhaps it is a needed ingredient of the foul blasphemy meals being produced...

I dimly recall a long while back there was talk on the forum of perhaps having to smuggle Bones orders over the border due to some mishaps going on with the Canadian postal service or something. While nothing concrete ever came about, I do remember having a plan forming in the back of my mind...

Seeing as how Canada is stuffed full of necromancers, it wouldn't be too difficult for them to summon the spirits of the Purple Gang who ran bootlegging out of Detroit and use them to "distract" the border guards whenever someone trucks the Dullcote in. Resist the urge to have zombies carry it under the lakes, cause then the mermaids will get involved, either demanding a cut "for protection" as they did in the 30s, or simply eating the zombies if they're fresh enough.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Brutus takes his antibiotics well, he's the only dog i ever had that just eats it when I put it in his food.

His predecessors alwaus found ways to spit it out ( even when stuffed in cheese, I had one who ate three pieces of cheese the meds were in the second piece, swallowed all and then spit out the pill he had been hiding in his cheeks).

Now hoping it will really help this time, we will know end of next week.

That's the great thing about labradors: they'll eat just about anything. 3 out of 4 of my labrador companions over the years have been easy medicine takers; the 4th one was the kind who would spit it out no matter what and we'd have to put it in the back of her mouth, hold her mouth closed and massage her throat to get her swallowing reflex to trigger.

The bad thing about labradors: they'll eat just about anything. I did not learn until recently that many in the breed lack a gene that regulates how full they feel after eating, so they always act hungry. Except for Carly (pill-swallower mentioned above); she could walk away from her dinner with food still in it, so I imagine she had that gene.

Hoping Brutus will be ok!

• Like 9

9 hours ago, TGP said:

3) Research different Epoxies, find one with more durability, replace studs and hardware by bonding fiberglass with improved epoxy.

LOL! I seriously doubt anyone did any research. 

The epoxy used at first was recommended by the fiberglass supplier, it was what they used for products in other markets, and purchased through them.  It just couldn't stand up to the harsh environment of a car wash.  The epoxy used now is procured from Home Depot.   While there has been 15+ years of developments in epoxies, I doubt that a consumer grade epoxy is significantly better than the industrial grade one purchased back then. 

Here's what I think happened - the fiberglass supplier wanted to increase the price because embedding the studs in the fiberglass is labor intensive, and this was their reactionary way to cut costs. 

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

LOL! I seriously doubt anyone did any research. 

The epoxy used at first was recommended by the fiberglass supplier, it was what they used for products in other markets, and purchased through them.  It just couldn't stand up to the harsh environment of a car wash.  The epoxy used now is procured from Home Depot.   While there has been 15+ years of developments in epoxies, I doubt that a consumer grade epoxy is significantly better than the industrial grade one purchased back then. 

Here's what I think happened - the fiberglass supplier wanted to increase the price because embedding the studs in the fiberglass is labor intensive, and this was their reactionary way to cut costs. 

I have at least one person at work ask every week why we do a particular thing a certain way. My response every time is because we tried your suggestion and it didn't work, here is why. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Keianna said:

I have at least one person at work ask every week why we do a particular thing a certain way. My response every time is because we tried your suggestion and it didn't work, here is why. 

OTOH, I've seen that same idea stifle innovation and improvement.  Usually the attitude is more of "I don't like change" and "we've always done it this way", but sometimes the three of them can be hard to tell apart. 

Edited to add: You're not talking about @OneBoot and the stapling are you?  :lol:

Just had a call from someone who had a big problem a few days ago. I thought we had gotten it resolved, so when I saw his number on the Caller ID, I had to swallow the lump in my throat before answering. 

He was just calling to say "Thank you." 

Today just took a turn for the better. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Inarah said:

Veggies are carbs, and are the basis of most of the keto/low carb diets out there, though it is the meat that often get emphasized in the media.  You can usually eat as much of the green leafy and veggie stuff as you want.  Not sure about lentils, but cheese, eggs, and tofu are all low carb proteins. 

I don't think Sir Cyr would go back to the full keto diet he had before if he went low-carb again. His weight loss diet then was so strict he wouldn't even have a carrot. I think he survived on bacon, cheese, and avocado for that. If going for low-carb again, would probably not be so strict as to ditch all sugar containing veggies. Just the "unnecessary" carbs, like chowing down on breads and crackers and regular beer (sip a whiskey instead). No breakfast cereal when scrambled eggs are an option. Stuff like that. Keto and super low carb diets aren't really great in the long run, nor are any extreme diets - especially if combined with some of the veggie ones. Honestly, part of why I stopped at pescatarian and mostly-plant stuff for myself is nutrition based. It is hard to get a certain set of proteins and fats without some animal products, and even the high-iron veggies can be challenging (different chemical bonds in the iron found in plants are tougher to digest). Not too bad to go "low cow based" though, if eggs are around a lot instead. Eggs are kinda perfect-food-in-a-shell. Any "remove X component" diet risks removing something nutritionally good.

Asked Sir Cyr on it - seems like we'll ditch the cereal and toast, and he'll do the dishes if I make fried or scrambled eggs in the morning instead. And he'll stop chowing on my flat-bread buns so I can keep my veg burger with avocado.

Next doctor check-in I intend to 1) get a flu shot, 2) general physical exam to see how iron is. Been iron deficient before, and I don't think I am now but should check. Been a year since my diet switch. Feeling pretty damn good, but would like to know if I'm deficient in something before it is problematic, if so. You do **not** want to need iron supplement pills. Ewww.

• Like 6

On 9/21/2020 at 10:00 PM, Adept Legacy said:

Been to 7 hobby stores. It's time to make some poor coating decisions.

You got an airbrush?  Dullcote has been perpetually difficult for me to get forever, so I keep searching for alternatives.  I built a Monogram F-5F a few months back, and the kit dated from 1985 (as in, this actual boxing).  The decals, needless to say, were not exactly mint condition and in order to get them to behave I had to use a whole lot of micro-sol, which made them quite glossy.  I had some Reaper brush-on sealer, but then I remembered that if you thin it with water it gets more matte, and then I remembered that Reaper wash medium is brush-on sealer already thinned 50/50 with water.  So I drove that through the airbrush and it dried dead matte.  Took care of all the sheen, not a trace of it.  This is probably only a good option if you have an airbrush, I don't expect it would work as well brushed on over any sort of large area, but if you do have an airbrush I'd rate it as a very solid alternative to Dullcote.  

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

4wh4Yop.jpg

WOOF mourns the loss of Agent George Snowwalker.

We wish him and his new wife all the best for the future but we're sorry to see him go!

• Haha 13

18 hours ago, haldir said:

119922614_10159053331390763_336858093719

I believe the standard response to this is: if you saw a 6 inch tall, naked human run across the floor, you’d freak out too!

• Like 6
  • Haha 9