Jump to content

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Zink said:

 

Statistically I'm convinced that there's complex life forms somewhere out there even though the similar planet search results haven't been encouraging lately. I'm not convinced that they are visiting us regularly to kidnap rednecks and hillbillies. Who knows what forms they might take because just look at the historical examples people have been sharing already. There's some pretty wierd stuff living with us already and I don't mean just my relatives. It would make me very sad to believe that we're the be all and end all of sentient life in the universe. 

You meant my relatives, didn't you? :devil:

I'm sad because the more they can see out there, the less probable that evidence that some means of FTL is possible will be found.  It was already an infinitesimally small possibility anyway, and it keeps getting smaller. 

That means even if there are other sentients out there, we're unlikely to ever be able to even say hello. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp. Gonna hop in the shower--I am filthy and smelly, ngl--and then I gotta gear on up and run my first session for Adventurers League. Still feeling pretty meh on it, but I reckon I'm prepared. Gonna run, time and possible disasters permitting, a couple episodes from that Icewind Dale intro adventure they were running at the con last weekend or whenever. Think it'll be all right. Still trying to nail down my female walrus voice though.

  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Zink said:

Statistically I'm convinced that there's complex life forms somewhere out there even though the similar planet search results haven't been encouraging lately.

 

Humanity as a whole is prone to hubris (not just the heroes in Greek myth); I for one don't think we're alone. I mean, this has to be true, right?

 

80105651_chuckberry.jpg.c10383274bb28778bcdecac1be8815d7.jpg

  • Haha 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

You meant my relatives, didn't you? :devil:

I'm sad because the more they can see out there, the less probable that evidence that some means of FTL is possible will be found.  It was already an infinitesimally small possibility anyway, and it keeps getting smaller. 

That means even if there are other sentients out there, we're unlikely to ever be able to even say hello. 

Just my seriously depreciated two cents worth on the FTL Civilization probability.

If there are civilizations out there that have FTL Technology they may have policies and prohibitions in place that restrict or prohibit the sort of contact with non FTL Civilizations that could cause detrimental effects to those civilizations.

Just look at the advances made on Planet Earth in the last 100 years.  In the 1920s, radio was a cutting edge technology, with broadcast radio being on a strictly local basis until late in the decade.  Film was silent until the VitaPhone System was introduced, again in the closing years of the decade. Aviation was in its youth, only slightly beyond the powered kite stage..

The entire world was analog, and a "computer" was the name for a guy sitting there with books of ruled paper and a hand cranked adding machine, doing accountancy.

The theory of Television had just been worked out and it took a lot of very expensive [for the time] and complicated "stuff" that had to be assembled and wired all by hand in order to make a blurry picture on a small monochrome Cathode Ray Tube.

Atomic Energy was still in the realm of Science Fiction.

Standing here today and looking back over the last 100 years of technological advancement and then turning and looking forward that same 100 years, the possibilities are just about beyond comprehension.  So FTL might just be possible, using some combination of technologies yet to be discovered or combined.

And consider this, what would a technologically conversant person of today dropped into the early 1920s have been able to do to advance the rate of progress in various areas, even through something like an inadvertent comment made to the right person?

GEM

Just spitballin'

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Just my seriously depreciated two cents worth on the FTL Civilization probability.

If there are civilizations out there that have FTL Technology they may have policies and prohibitions in place that restrict or prohibit the sort of contact with non FTL Civilizations that could cause detrimental effects to those civilizations.

Just look at the advances made on Planet Earth in the last 100 years.  In the 1920s, radio was a cutting edge technology, with broadcast radio being on a strictly local basis until late in the decade.  Film was silent until the VitaPhone System was introduced, again in the closing years of the decade. Aviation was in its youth, only slightly beyond the powered kite stage..

The entire world was analog, and a "computer" was the name for a guy sitting there with books of ruled paper and a hand cranked adding machine, doing accountancy.

The theory of Television had just been worked out and it took a lot of very expensive [for the time] and complicated "stuff" that had to be assembled and wired all by hand in order to make a blurry picture on a small monochrome Cathode Ray Tube.

Atomic Energy was still in the realm of Science Fiction.

Standing here today and looking back over the last 100 years of technological advancement and then turning and looking forward that same 100 years, the possibilities are just about beyond comprehension.  So FTL might just be possible, using some combination of technologies yet to be discovered or combined.

And consider this, what would a technologically conversant person of today dropped into the early 1920s have been able to do to advance the rate of progress in various areas, even through something like an inadvertent comment made to the right person?

GEM

Just spitballin'

I hear what you're saying, but when you're talking about entire civilizations, the chances of having a unified policy like the Federations Prime Directive seems pretty far fetched. Or rather, enforcing such a policy. A star faring civilization would likely consist of at least 10s of billions of individuals - they'd definitely be a truly alien civilization if they didn't have their own James Kirk like individuals who would have motives to flout the policy. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Zink said:

 

Just saw a 3' tall one go zipping by here. That's not a rare occurence really. She's usually half naked.

Grump has two little ladies that go streaking around the house. ::D:

 

Though I don't do it so much anymore, being a good example for our little maniac. ::):

 

She's growing so FAST! I'm less than a foot taller, and she's only just turned four.

 

At this rate, she'll be taller than her Daddy!

 

Damn C-19! I was looking forward to taking her camping for the retreat. ::(: 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well this is strange.

Freaky strange.

My new desktop coffee pot/water warmer conked out a couple of weeks ago.

I know it conked out because it had a full reservoir of water and just stopped heating it.

I just put a full pot of freshly kettle on the stove heated water on the burner and I started hearing "sounds".

The kind of percolator sounds that it makes when it's heating water.

A swift transfer of hot water to the carafe that I normally use to move water from the tap in the kitchen to my office and the stupid thing is merrily perking away like nothing ever happened.

And no, I haven't touched the on/off switch in over a week.

Freaky, but I'll take it.

GEM

  • Like 3
  • Confused 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

image.png.cd3b9124293865a3c193de6504bafb2d.png

I'm saving Grump from that fate.

 

TWICE!

 

First by not leaving him alone.

 

Second by stealing his miniatures and PAINTING THEM!!

 

For some reason I have an easier time painting the minis I steal from him than I do painting my own. <_<

  • Like 2
  • Haha 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Well this is strange.

Freaky strange.

My new desktop coffee pot/water warmer conked out a couple of weeks ago.

I know it conked out because it had a full reservoir of water and just stopped heating it.

I just put a full pot of freshly kettle on the stove heated water on the burner and I started hearing "sounds".

The kind of percolator sounds that it makes when it's heating water.

A swift transfer of hot water to the carafe that I normally use to move water from the tap in the kitchen to my office and the stupid thing is merrily perking away like nothing ever happened.

And no, I haven't touched the on/off switch in over a week.

Freaky, but I'll take it.

GEM

Perhaps the machine spirit got bored, went wandering off for a bit and has now returned. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Perhaps the machine spirit got bored, went wandering off for a bit and has now returned. 

 

 Well, he said it's a new machine - if it's internet connected, it may well have fallen down a Youtube rabbit hole and just now remembered it was in the middle of something, lol.

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

I'm saving Grump from that fate.

 

TWICE!

 

First by not leaving him alone.

 

Second by stealing his miniatures and PAINTING THEM!!

 

For some reason I have an easier time painting the minis I steal from him than I do painting my own. <_<

 

Out of curiosity, have you two ever both started a miniature, then swap and finish each other's?

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...