Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

So I dropped into a big black hole of no access to internet.

Left last Saturday for yet another trip to our new property in Stagecoach.  Got there and SURPRISE!:bday:  The builder has our septic system installed and the pad for the home is graded, leveled and compacted with all mounting points for the house ready for things to be dropped in place.  Turns out our Manufactured Home will be rolling off the line in less than three weeks so things are starting to move.

Got some shelving built inside our Conex box, and proceeded to load them up with our "precious things" and "stuff".  Need to build some more but it will go faster now that the first couple of sections are in place.

Going to take a couple of days to get caught up.

GEM

• Like 20

Painting Platinum! #040! Phthalo Phthursday! -- started at 3:12 PM.  The giveaway today is three paints for every five subs.  The triad is: Phthalo Blue, Phthalo Green and Clear Orange.

Sadie is painting 03001 Phoenix.  She thinks they are opening a ghoulie bag on Reaper Live tonight.

https://www.twitch.tv/reaperminiatures

Edited by Serenity
Info added
  • Like 3

Good!

I do hope we can restore this place to what it used to be.

A Hobby Forum, a friendly place and fun.

I would hate to see the forum fall because someone keeps trying to get their views across.

Let's all work together to make this happen.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

All joking and eye-rolling aside, if various things that aren't obviously political now are being considered political, they probably should cook up a new set of guidelines or list of verboten topics so people know what's fair game or not. Make everybody's life easier, especially the moderators.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

All joking and eye-rolling aside, if various things that aren't obviously political now are being considered political, they probably should cook up a new set of guidelines or list of verboten topics so people know what's fair game or not. Make everybody's life easier, especially the moderators.

We are working on it.  

I will reserve the remainder of my reply for PM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TaleSpinner said:

We are working on it.  

I will reserve the remainder of my reply for PM.

Nah, don't spend your time on something that unnecessary. I ain't gonna argue about it.

I do try to be agreeable, despite appearances.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yeah, the earth was a snowball once and it bounced back. That said, if it gets to the point that only extremophiles make it, mainly bacteria, will the Earth ever be able to get back to complex life forms? It is highly possible that the merger that caused the first eukaryote cells happened just once in the entire universe.

Statistically I'm convinced that there's complex life forms somewhere out there even though the similar planet search results haven't been encouraging lately. I'm not convinced that they are visiting us regularly to kidnap rednecks and hillbillies. Who knows what forms they might take because just look at the historical examples people have been sharing already. There's some pretty wierd stuff living with us already and I don't mean just my relatives. It would make me very sad to believe that we're the be all and end all of sentient life in the universe. 

• Like 9

So car wash sites get sold all the time. As an equipment representative, I generally wind up being involved to handle the necessary reprogramming. I do these 2-3 times a month.

Currently have two in progress for September, and they both look like they're going to drag on into October.  Why are they dragging on? You might think it's because of the  loans,  escrow, etc?  Nope, not this time.  Both sales have apparently happened, it's just that the new and old owners are not providing the necessary documentation for me to proceed with what I need to do. 

I sorta understand the one site - he bought a repossessed site from the bank and there is a lot to sort out. 

But the other site - apparently the new owner is just as ditzy as the old owner. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

10 minutes ago, Zink said:

Statistically I'm convinced that there's complex life forms somewhere out there even though the similar planet search results haven't been encouraging lately. I'm not convinced that they are visiting us regularly to kidnap rednecks and hillbillies. Who knows what forms they might take because just look at the historical examples people have been sharing already. There's some pretty wierd stuff living with us already and I don't mean just my relatives. It would make me very sad to believe that we're the be all and end all of sentient life in the universe. 

You meant my relatives, didn't you? :devil:

I'm sad because the more they can see out there, the less probable that evidence that some means of FTL is possible will be found.  It was already an infinitesimally small possibility anyway, and it keeps getting smaller. 

That means even if there are other sentients out there, we're unlikely to ever be able to even say hello. 

• Like 7

Welp. Gonna hop in the shower--I am filthy and smelly, ngl--and then I gotta gear on up and run my first session for Adventurers League. Still feeling pretty meh on it, but I reckon I'm prepared. Gonna run, time and possible disasters permitting, a couple episodes from that Icewind Dale intro adventure they were running at the con last weekend or whenever. Think it'll be all right. Still trying to nail down my female walrus voice though.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Zink said:

Statistically I'm convinced that there's complex life forms somewhere out there even though the similar planet search results haven't been encouraging lately.

Humanity as a whole is prone to hubris (not just the heroes in Greek myth); I for one don't think we're alone. I mean, this has to be true, right?

80105651_chuckberry.jpg.c10383274bb28778bcdecac1be8815d7.jpg

• Haha 13

15 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

You meant my relatives, didn't you? :devil:

I'm sad because the more they can see out there, the less probable that evidence that some means of FTL is possible will be found.  It was already an infinitesimally small possibility anyway, and it keeps getting smaller. 

That means even if there are other sentients out there, we're unlikely to ever be able to even say hello. 

Just my seriously depreciated two cents worth on the FTL Civilization probability.

If there are civilizations out there that have FTL Technology they may have policies and prohibitions in place that restrict or prohibit the sort of contact with non FTL Civilizations that could cause detrimental effects to those civilizations.

Just look at the advances made on Planet Earth in the last 100 years.  In the 1920s, radio was a cutting edge technology, with broadcast radio being on a strictly local basis until late in the decade.  Film was silent until the VitaPhone System was introduced, again in the closing years of the decade. Aviation was in its youth, only slightly beyond the powered kite stage..

The entire world was analog, and a "computer" was the name for a guy sitting there with books of ruled paper and a hand cranked adding machine, doing accountancy.

The theory of Television had just been worked out and it took a lot of very expensive [for the time] and complicated "stuff" that had to be assembled and wired all by hand in order to make a blurry picture on a small monochrome Cathode Ray Tube.

Atomic Energy was still in the realm of Science Fiction.

Standing here today and looking back over the last 100 years of technological advancement and then turning and looking forward that same 100 years, the possibilities are just about beyond comprehension.  So FTL might just be possible, using some combination of technologies yet to be discovered or combined.

And consider this, what would a technologically conversant person of today dropped into the early 1920s have been able to do to advance the rate of progress in various areas, even through something like an inadvertent comment made to the right person?

GEM

Just spitballin'

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Just my seriously depreciated two cents worth on the FTL Civilization probability.

If there are civilizations out there that have FTL Technology they may have policies and prohibitions in place that restrict or prohibit the sort of contact with non FTL Civilizations that could cause detrimental effects to those civilizations.

Just look at the advances made on Planet Earth in the last 100 years.  In the 1920s, radio was a cutting edge technology, with broadcast radio being on a strictly local basis until late in the decade.  Film was silent until the VitaPhone System was introduced, again in the closing years of the decade. Aviation was in its youth, only slightly beyond the powered kite stage..

The entire world was analog, and a "computer" was the name for a guy sitting there with books of ruled paper and a hand cranked adding machine, doing accountancy.

The theory of Television had just been worked out and it took a lot of very expensive [for the time] and complicated "stuff" that had to be assembled and wired all by hand in order to make a blurry picture on a small monochrome Cathode Ray Tube.

Atomic Energy was still in the realm of Science Fiction.

Standing here today and looking back over the last 100 years of technological advancement and then turning and looking forward that same 100 years, the possibilities are just about beyond comprehension.  So FTL might just be possible, using some combination of technologies yet to be discovered or combined.

And consider this, what would a technologically conversant person of today dropped into the early 1920s have been able to do to advance the rate of progress in various areas, even through something like an inadvertent comment made to the right person?

GEM

Just spitballin'

I hear what you're saying, but when you're talking about entire civilizations, the chances of having a unified policy like the Federations Prime Directive seems pretty far fetched. Or rather, enforcing such a policy. A star faring civilization would likely consist of at least 10s of billions of individuals - they'd definitely be a truly alien civilization if they didn't have their own James Kirk like individuals who would have motives to flout the policy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Been steadily working on my diorama. This is good because it not only means that I'm hobbying more but that brain weasels are, maybe, lifting some too. I am still incredibly tired though. 

• Like 11