Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

People name their kids after geographical features but choose things like "Dale" and "River" instead of awesome terrain like "Volcano" and "Glacier" and "Boulder Field."

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I did say swap, perhaps I should have prefaced it with "intentionally", because you are correct: stealing minis, whether unpainted or half-painted, is criminal.

No, it's being married. ::):

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think Reaper has made the right decision here.

Because in the end, it's not about if you agree or disagree with that person's views, it's about the future of this forum.

If we don't stop it now it will fall.

I get that it's Reaper's forum and there's no free speech here.  I understand the reasoning behind a restriction of this kind, especially this year. But I mourn the loss of the one place I can vent frustrations or make jokes with friends to ease the tension we all feel.  Not that I'm a big contributor, but if you don't see me around it's because I no longer feel comfortable here. 

Meanwhile.... the order I placed with my FLGS in early July has finally arrived from Reaper. Yay. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

40 minutes ago, Marvin said:

People name their kids after geographical features but choose things like "Dale" and "River" instead of awesome terrain like "Volcano" and "Glacier" and "Boulder Field."

I worked with an Everest.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

For years I have pestered my friends and coworkers to name their children "Hrothgar", "Alaric", "Brunhild", and the like. None of them have listened thus far. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Civ 6 is on sale for ~$15 for anyone interested in that sort of thing.

I'm going back to playing Age of Empires now, none of that new fangled stuff for me! *shakes cane*

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I get that it's Reaper's forum and there's no free speech here.  I understand the reasoning behind a restriction of this kind, especially this year. But I mourn the loss of the one place I can vent frustrations or make jokes with friends to ease the tension we all feel.  Not that I'm a big contributor, but if you don't see me around it's because I no longer feel comfortable here. 

I'd like to give a little bit of contextual transparency here to address concerns people might have regarding the new changes.  There is an objective here, and these changes are not capricious in nature.  As tensions escalate outside, so tensions have escalated inside, and it has not been good for the health of the community or the comfort of those who participate in it.  As the primary focus of this forum is a particular company, a particular line of products, and a particular hobby as whole, the topics and posts which have contributed to the tension and discomfort are not essential to it.  This should be a place where anybody can come to talk about this shared hobby interest in a cozy, comfy, friendly environment.  The best way to achieve that is by eliminating a line of discussion that we do not need and that has proven antithetical to this end.  All of us mod staff are volunteers, this job doesn't pay us, and we'd much rather spend our free time doing other fun things than taking on extra work.  The more this community, which is by and large overwhelmingly the best community on the internet, helps us out by opting not to pursue things which everybody here can figure out are inflammatory then the less we have to intervene - this is overwhelmingly our preference.  We ask that you help us out in making this community a nicer, friendlier, and cozier place to be.  We would not place any such limits on discourse here unless we truly believed such limits were absolutely necessary, and vital, to the continued well-being of this community.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 14

Hmm. Should I inherit 10 acres of land in southern Oklahoma simply for the LOLs, or take cash?

On one hand, it’s property I may visit once or twice ever as I go to ReaperCon, plus there’s no way the wife will want to move somewhere so humid even if she can then have the herd of beagles she wants.

But, I can easily pay the property taxes, more than likely, and it was my great-great grandparent’s land. I’m fine with it being a wild place for the animals. May even make it a wintering home (avoids the humidity), if there is a farmhouse and it can be saved. Plus, I won’t need the cash for anything since I am nearing the point where a job isn’t necessary.

Curious as to The Collective’s thoughts. Honestly. 

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Hmm. Should I inherit 10 acres of land in southern Oklahoma simply for the LOLs, or take cash?

There's only one thing they aren't making more of, and that's land. Doesn't seem like a bad option if you can afford the taxes.

• Like 11

I would take the land @Pegazus and at least mull it over for longer. You can always sell the land later on if you and the Mrs. decide it's not a good option for you.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:
1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

No, it's being married. ::):

Says the admitted mini thief. 

A wife's rules to marriage; What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine! ::D:

• Haha 12

14 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I'd like to give a little bit of contextual transparency here to address concerns people might have regarding the new changes.  There is an objective here, and these changes are not capricious in nature.  As tensions escalate outside, so tensions have escalated inside, and it has not been good for the health of the community or the comfort of those who participate in it.  As the primary focus of this forum is a particular company, a particular line of products, and a particular hobby as whole, the topics and posts which have contributed to the tension and discomfort are not essential to it.  This should be a place where anybody can come to talk about this shared hobby interest in a cozy, comfy, friendly environment.  The best way to achieve that is by eliminating a line of discussion that we do not need and that has proven antithetical to this end.  All of us mod staff are volunteers, this job doesn't pay us, and we'd much rather spend our free time doing other fun things than taking on extra work.  The more this community, which is by and large overwhelmingly the best community on the internet, helps us out by opting not to pursue things which everybody here can figure out are inflammatory then the less we have to intervene - this is overwhelmingly our preference.  We ask that you help us out in making this community a nicer, friendlier, and cozier place to be.  We would not place any such limits on discourse here unless we truly believed such limits were absolutely necessary, and vital, to the continued well-being of this community.  

Well said.

There are many places where one can vent.

There are few places where one can talk hobby and fun without discussing World events.

I welcome the changes.

Yes, I was active in the Bees, but in the end this is a Hobby Forum and that's why I came here in the first place.

Let's create this little bubble, call it the Neutral Zone, No Man's Land, whatever, let's all be at peace here and talk hobby, fun, lighthearted stuff so we can unwind and be friends and family like we used to be here.

Let's teach and learn techniques for painting, sculpting, printing, drawing etc.

Here we can find common ground, no matter you're background, you all once came here for this one thing.

Let's stay for that!

The rest, well there is a whole World out there where one can discuss all they want.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

On one hand, it’s property I may visit once or twice ever as I go to ReaperCon, plus there’s no way the wife will want to move somewhere so humid even if she can then have the herd of beagles she wants.

But, I can easily pay the property taxes, more than likely, and it was my great-great grandparent’s land. I’m fine with it being a wild place for the animals. May even make it a wintering home (avoids the humidity), if there is a farmhouse and it can be saved. Plus, I won’t need the cash for anything since I am nearing the point where a job isn’t necessary.

Do you get the mineral rights also?  I get regular offers for mineral rights I inherited under land in Oklahoma. At some point the family a few generations back sold some land but retained the mineral rights.

Something to keep in mind.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

My extended family has had a fair bit of experience with this. Off farm children wanted chunks of their parents farms when they retired/died. I'd say it really depends on neighbours and family relations. My sister got a piece of land from my dad that was separate from the rest, built a small house on it and loves to stay there on weekends and vacations even though it's 2.5 hours from where she lives. A cousin got land from her parents about the same distance from her home and has had continual problems because her land joins her brothers' and they are complete @$#%^! and constantly causing problems. It's cool to keep something like that in the family if it doesn't cause any unnecessary stress. 

• Like 12