Jump to content
Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:
6 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

 I'm not even to try to see if Powell's is buying used books. :down:

Wait, Powell's runs on used books!  If they aren't taking in new material, I don't think they will survive and that would be a real shame.  I haven't been to their Portland store in a decade or more and I still remember the sight of a city  block of used books. That and the intoxicating smell of coffee, old paper and wood.  I really need to back there...

 

They are; there's an online thing.

Trick is, they're /super picky/ about condition, and they won't buy anything without an ISBN right now, so I'm told.

I don't know if that's Standard Normal for their online system. They do seem to be willing to fund UPS Ground, so there's that.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Adept Legacy said:

Confirmed no Canadian distribution of Dullcote because Testors does not want to print a bilingual label.

:rock:

 

That's one of the dumbest reasons for not selling a product I have ever heard. Especially when there is demand for the said product. I wonder if the USA labels have Spanish on them. Will check next time I am in the basement.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started my free trial of Audible just to get Sandman. I have another free credit to use but I've no idea what to use it on. I've got a bunch on my wish list but most of them are series of books. I don't currently plan on paying for it after my month is up, at least for now.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adept Legacy said:

Confirmed no Canadian distribution of Dullcote because Testors does not want to print a bilingual label.

I still maintain that they're covering for Kraft using it as a main ingredient for their Canadian Meals...they can't come out and openly say that though, because of some manner of nondisclosure agreement.

Which would also explain why the Pumpkin of Judgement is using said meals as a punishment for heresy. I can't imagine dullcote having a pleasing flavor...

  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

 

chedgoblin.jpg.a4845c20df7c6f7dee91022431badfa7.jpg

What's that green leafy stuff sticking out of the noodles? Looks suspicious.

 

Better avoid it and stick to the unnaturally bright noodles.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People from Vermont have an odd sense of humor; I present this:

20200926_155653.thumb.jpg.24b812952b7ec394db1acaf667d082b8.jpg

 

I found that to be hilarious when I saw it. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:
3 hours ago, Adept Legacy said:

Confirmed no Canadian distribution of Dullcote because Testors does not want to print a bilingual label.

Which is odd, considering that they've already been doing it:

<photo evidence removed to keep the post short>

 

I am calling "shenanigans" on Testors then (still need to check my own can for Spanish on the label).

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

:rock:

 

That's one of the dumbest reasons for not selling a product I have ever heard. Especially when there is demand for the said product. I wonder if the USA labels have Spanish on them. Will check next time I am in the basement.

 

All English.

 

Remember too Testor's is now owned by Rustoleum which is slowly killing the Testor's name. Model Master line is going away. Pretty much I think they just wanna turn it into a craft company (ie not a model hobby).

10 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Wait, Powell's runs on used books!  If they aren't taking in new material, I don't think they will survive and that would be a real shame.  I haven't been to their Portland store in a decade or more and I still remember the sight of a city  block of used books. That and the intoxicating smell of coffee, old paper and wood.  I really need to back there...

Sleep!

 

Last time we went to Portland I introduced Powell's to my wife (a book nut). She was in heaven. She was like "if you come up for Timbers soccer game, I'll just go over to Powell's." I agreed!!!

 

noooo-pumpkin-spice.jpg

4 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

 

chedgoblin.jpg.a4845c20df7c6f7dee91022431badfa7.jpg

 

That looks cheaper then the store brands (& those are CHEAP, taste that is...ugh I can still remember the aweful taste. My grandmother grabbed a box of cheaper then store brand name & never again will I eat anything below Kraft name when it comes to MnC). Besides, it's not a real goblin, he's green...^_^

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I started my free trial of Audible just to get Sandman. I have another free credit to use but I've no idea what to use it on. I've got a bunch on my wish list but most of them are series of books. I don't currently plan on paying for it after my month is up, at least for now.

 

Mr Penumbra's 24 hour Bookstore or Sourdough by Robin Sloane.

 

Idly working on some scenery today...

IMG_4922.thumb.JPG.81b707fa484ac117f76ad8bbe87b6361.JPG

 

 

IMG_4921.thumb.JPG.5b7aa32d3372398d620c00591496b5ac.JPG

 

These are inexpensive 3D prints off of Amazon.

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

:rock:

 

That's one of the dumbest reasons for not selling a product I have ever heard. Especially when there is demand for the said product. I wonder if the USA labels have Spanish on them. Will check next time I am in the basement.

 

38 minutes ago, haldir said:

 

All English.

 

 

 

Remember that in Canada (as we are officially bilingual) that both English and French is mandatory on everything (well, not absolutely everything, but just about.  I'm sure there is a small several hundred page government document, available in both official languages, that goes through exactly what does and doesn't.).
N'oubliez pas qu'au Canada (puisque nous sommes officiellement bilingues), l'anglais et le français sont obligatoires sur tout (enfin, pas absolument tout, mais à peu près. Je suis sûr qu'il existe un petit document gouvernemental de plusieurs centaines de pages, disponible dans les deux langues officielles , cela passe par exactement ce qui fait et ce qui ne fait pas.).

 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Remember that in Canada (as we are officially bilingual) that both English and French is mandatory on everything (well, not absolutely everything, but just about.  I'm sure there is a small several hundred page government document, available in both official languages, that goes through exactly what does and doesn't.).
N'oubliez pas qu'au Canada (puisque nous sommes officiellement bilingues), l'anglais et le français sont obligatoires sur tout (enfin, pas absolument tout, mais à peu près. Je suis sûr qu'il existe un petit document gouvernemental de plusieurs centaines de pages, disponible dans les deux langues officielles , cela passe par exactement ce qui fait et ce qui ne fait pas.).

 

Oui. Je voudrais un sandwich au jambon et fromage.

 

And that concludes what I remember from high school French. It's kind of my Encino Man Brendan Fraser moment (except in French, not Spanish).

 

It's really mandatory everywhere in Canada? (never been, almost went once, then surgery nixed travel) Was that established to appease the populace of Quebec? Please forgive me, my knowledge of Canadian law is practically non-existent (and no, I don't base what I do know of it from Super Troopers 2).

 

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Remember too Testor's is now owned by Rustoleum which is slowly killing the Testor's name. Model Master line is going away. Pretty much I think they just wanna turn it into a craft company (ie not a model hobby).

 

I had forgotten this. Just give the people their Dullcote, for Pete's sake!

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jasper_the_2nd I laugh-emojied because I found it amusing that you wrote your post in both languages.

 

I really wish I were bilingual; never have I wanted more to speak Spanish than working at my current job. I can cobble together "Un momento por favor" while I find someone who does, or else "Los siento, hablo poquito Español. Call back in thirty minutes? Trienta minutos, si?" and they usually get the idea and call back later. :wacko:

 

My semi-remembered high school Spanish vocabulary and pronunciation has come in handy surprisingly often, though I'm not very solid on numbers. I finally signed up yesterday for Babel, a language-learning app, so I can at least communicate enough to find out why they're calling and take a message. 

 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

:rock:

 

That's one of the dumbest reasons for not selling a product I have ever heard. Especially when there is demand for the said product. I wonder if the USA labels have Spanish on them. Will check next time I am in the basement.

Not willing to label in multiple languages is very silly. Especially when we're talking about only a few paragraphs of text.

 

When I look at European or Asian products, they can have labels or instructions in a dozen languages. English-Spanish-French labeling in North America is already pretty common and shouldn't even be a hassle.

 

Heck, even Reaper's Paint Set cases and Dark Heaven blisters have six languages.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...