Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Contrary to the expected expectation, I actually worked today. Sitting in my car in the parking lot watching the hotel. Seems like I'm going to be cheap security for awhile. Looks like the water damage was confined to the pool room (and meeting room above it), so restoration should be faster than expected. We'll get the hotel proper opened up as soon as everything is sorted out and cleaned.

• Like 18
  • Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Which design of time machine are you going for? DeLorean, vintage blue British police box, phone booth, or hot tub?

If such an event were to occur that involves the pinstripe suit, please promise you'll say "Myeah, see" at the beginning of each sentence?

Following the theory that all possible pasts, presents, and futures are happening at once seperated by only by a certain vibration, I was thinking of some manner of device to change my own phyiscal vibration to the desired end point. However, after pondering a bit on it, I became leery as to whether or not traveling in physical form would either be possible or wise, considering doing so would cause the molecules that make up my current body exist alongside whatever that matter was in the time frame I venture to. Thus my research began as to merely transfering my mind to an appropriate host in the era I wish to visit, thus avoiding the physics debate, and lessening the odds of accidentally being photographed or leaving fingerprints behind. I'm assuming trying to attach myself to a previous incarnation would be easiest, although that comes with it's own perils somwhat akin to trying to pull a second story job on the akashic records.

Yes, this is a topic I have thought way too much about. 

As to classic film gangsters I tend to channel James Cagney more than the others, although despite several instances of opportunity and provocation, I haven't gone after anyone with a grapefruit. As to the modern films, I tend to channel Joe Pesci. Which makes sense as his birthday is the day before mine, so he is a prime example of an irritated Aquarian. I haven't used a rotary telephone offensively either, although I have threatened a roommate or two with a toaster when they got into my food.

Edited by Lord of the Dish Pit
  • Like 11

Hey everybody, I'm still here. Haven't been feeling so good(don't worry, it's not you know what), so the last few days have just been a steady cycle of work/force down food/sleep. Gonna try and drag myself outside as it's actually sunny today, maybe the vitamin D will do me some good. Hope everyone is having a good weekend. 

• Like 14
14 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

I just want to say that I have discovered fudge covered Nutter Butters and they are delicious.

That is all. :upside:

Nutter butters have always been a weakness for me.  Good thing they are usually more then I'd want to spend on cookies. ^_^

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Associates credits usually transfer over pretty well if they're from an accredited school. If it's a culinary institute or whatnot might be some hangups, I'unno. Girl to whom I was engaged once upon a time was doing the latter around the time our relationship imploded*; she later went on and changed gears and became a social worker or something, but I don't recall how much backtracking she did at the time.

Do you know what you want to do with an anthropology degree? Unless you want to teach that can be one of those tricky sorts of studies to justify the price tag of the sheepskin over finding entry into the field at a less academic level**.

*Actually how I ended up in Louisville to finish my undergrad, following her like a puppy lol.

**He said, having learned from the brutal experience of paying for an MFA. I don't mean particularly to discourage, the experience was great and all, but, if the money angle concerns you, I found that to be the big downside to following my dreams in the humanities. It was either teach or sod off, and I sodded. tbf tho I guess I'd have been just as broke and indebted either way.

Unfortunately, I don't think my credits will transfer as I used them to actually get the two degrees? They were from a technical college, not a culinary school per se. So not entirely sure how that would work. I'm not terribly sure where I want to go with it but teaching would be fun, I think. I never really wanted to be a teacher but I think if I found something specialized it would be worth it. I probably have more thoughts on this but I only slept 2.5 hours so articulating thoughts are not my strong suit right now.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I dunno, Sunward Hobbies just got in like two or three crates of Ammo by MIG stuff, and will be putting it up for sale later this week if I remember correctly...   But it depends on what kind of supplies we're talking about... 

~~

Unrelated note, I'm joining the "can we get a redo on or just skip 2020 crew" - lost another family member today. We won't find out why until Transport Canada is done investigating and publishes their findings...  All we know is something went wrong, and went catastrophically wrong, at the worst possible time. 

...And I now have a paint scheme in mind for the F18 I want to build and paint... 

Airshow pilots are supposed to die of old age, not during a regular approach... 

Condolences.  :down:

• Like 5
8 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I want to be a food anthropologist. 

That sounds fascinating. So would you research the cultural origins of food? I read a lot of journal articles. Mostly related to my line of work, but I also like to read stuff that just sounds interesting. And I'd almost certainly read an anthropological paper about food. Also, is this a field of study that already exists? Because if so I feel I'm missing out not reading about it already. 

• Like 8
14 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Mr Penumbra's 24 hour Bookstore or Sourdough by Robin Sloane.

Idly working on some scenery today...

IMG_4922.thumb.JPG.81b707fa484ac117f76ad8bbe87b6361.JPG

IMG_4921.thumb.JPG.5b7aa32d3372398d620c00591496b5ac.JPG

These are inexpensive 3D prints off of Amazon.

Oh... Hmmm.... This seems like it might be worth investigating.

Short to do list today...

Finish emptying van, and return it to the rental place

Build crib

Write up a couple blog posts

Paint something

D&D tonight

Plus I'm taking tomorrow off... gods I need it.

Okay, time for Waffles and more coffee.

• Like 8
14 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

That sounds fascinating. So would you research the cultural origins of food? I read a lot of journal articles. Mostly related to my line of work, but I also like to read stuff that just sounds interesting. And I'd almost certainly read an anthropological paper about food. Also, is this a field of study that already exists? Because if so I feel I'm missing out not reading about it already. 

It definitely is a thing already. To quote Wikipedia "Anthropology of food is a sub-discipline of anthropology that connects an ethnographic and historical perspective with contemporary social issues in food production and consumption systems. ... Research has traced the material and symbolic importance of food, as well as how they intersect."

Dunno why that bolded but can't seem to undo it. It would most likely be a major in anthropology with a minor/focus on food studies.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

It definitely is a thing already. To quote Wikipedia "Anthropology of food is a sub-discipline of anthropology that connects an ethnographic and historical perspective with contemporary social issues in food production and consumption systems. ... Research has traced the material and symbolic importance of food, as well as how they intersect."

Dunno why that bolded but can't seem to undo it. It would most likely be a major in anthropology with a minor/focus on food studies.

As a guy who likes food and history that sounds interesting. BUT my big question is can you get paid for it? I know a fair amount of people that spent good money on training they've never been able to use. I'm a believer that any learning is a good thing but paying your bills is better.

• Like 10