Jump to content

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Following the theory that all possible pasts, presents, and futures are happening at once seperated by only by a certain vibration, I was thinking of some manner of device to change my own phyiscal vibration to the desired end point. However, after pondering a bit on it, I became leery as to whether or not traveling in physical form would either be possible or wise, considering doing so would cause the molecules that make up my current body exist alongside whatever that matter was in the time frame I venture to. Thus my research began as to merely transfering my mind to an appropriate host in the era I wish to visit, thus avoiding the physics debate, and lessening the odds of accidentally being photographed or leaving fingerprints behind. I'm assuming trying to attach myself to a previous incarnation would be easiest, although that comes with it's own perils somwhat akin to trying to pull a second story job on the akashic records.

 

Ah you are thinking more along the lines of Days of Future Past then, only tweaking it so you can essentially possess another person in whatever time period. That did have issues of destroying your brain if going back further than a few days, if I recall correctly.

 

I am still pulling for the hot tub time machine route.

 

5 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Hey everybody, I'm still here. Haven't been feeling so good(don't worry, it's not you know what), so the last few days have just been a steady cycle of work/force down food/sleep. Gonna try and drag myself outside as it's actually sunny today, maybe the vitamin D will do me some good. Hope everyone is having a good weekend. 

 

Feel better! Remember to put laxatives in the water cooler if this is some bug brought back by one of your dozen co-workers who went on that trip a few weeks ago... :devil:

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

 

It definitely is a thing already. To quote Wikipedia "Anthropology of food is a sub-discipline of anthropology that connects an ethnographic and historical perspective with contemporary social issues in food production and consumption systems. ... Research has traced the material and symbolic importance of food, as well as how they intersect."

 

Dunno why that bolded but can't seem to undo it. It would most likely be a major in anthropology with a minor/focus on food studies.

 

So it looks like you've provided a rabbit hole of new information for me to fall into today. I started looking for journals dealing with food and anthropology and am surprised there's quite a bit of work on this subject. Just read an article on the changes in smelt production and consumption in Sweden as it relates to changes in food availability and economic drivers. Pretty interesting. So thanks for sharing and good luck if you decide to go down that path!

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zink said:

 

As a guy who likes food and history that sounds interesting. BUT my big question is can you get paid for it? I know a fair amount of people that spent good money on training they've never been able to use. I'm a believer that any learning is a good thing but paying your bills is better.

 

Teaching is generally the big option that comes from it and according to things I've found the market for it is probably going to jump about 10% over the next decade. So more than nothing. There's other things to do that would fall under a social anthropology degree, which if I've done my research right so far, is what I'd need to get a specialization in food. In further research median income is about $62k as of 2017. So there's money there, just a matter of finding the right places hiring.

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

I should be cleaning and organizing (again, still) but, I found my notes for fixing a minis game called Road Kill (it has zombies, werewolves, vampires, motorcycles, and guns). So... Yeah. I've been typing for a while now. I still have no idea what I'm going to do with it when I finish it. Not that I ever will... Because I A). Never finish things (still amazed I finished my book) and B). Have a lot of work to do on it.

 

I also made tuna fish casserole because summer is trying to happen again this week. <_<

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

 

Teaching is generally the big option that comes from it and according to things I've found the market for it is probably going to jump about 10% over the next decade. So more than nothing. There's other things to do that would fall under a social anthropology degree, which if I've done my research right so far, is what I'd need to get a specialization in food. In further research median income is about $62k as of 2017. So there's money there, just a matter of finding the right places hiring.

 

Looks at current income.... Where do I sign up for the course? Not my thing but that's pretty decent if you can get it.

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zink said:

 

Looks at current income.... Where do I sign up for the course? Not my thing but that's pretty decent if you can get it.

 

Of course this would be after a master's degree, I believe. So more student loans to subtract from that. On top of the fact I would basically have to start college from the ground up. But it's something I want to do so maybe I can figure out a way to make it work.

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

 

Teaching is generally the big option that comes from it and according to things I've found the market for it is probably going to jump about 10% over the next decade. So more than nothing. There's other things to do that would fall under a social anthropology degree, which if I've done my research right so far, is what I'd need to get a specialization in food. In further research median income is about $62k as of 2017. So there's money there, just a matter of finding the right places hiring.

For some reason, I'm now thinking about you having your own YouTube channel dedicated to the subject. Showing how different cuisines (both national and regional) evolved over time. How the location and available resources shaped it and evolved with the culture around it.

 

We can agree that there is a ton a material subject.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

For some reason, I'm now thinking about you having your own YouTube channel dedicated to the subject. Showing how different cuisines (both national and regional) evolved over time. How the location and available resources shaped it and evolved with the culture around it.

 

We can agree that there is a ton a material subject.

 

Y'know, that is not something that ever crossed my mind but I think it would be a great idea. My first recollections of hearing about food anthropology were from Good Eats way back in the day. I mean if I had known I wouldn't have actually been able to work in a restaurant like intended I probably would have gone for this the first time round.

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

 

It definitely is a thing already. To quote Wikipedia "Anthropology of food is a sub-discipline of anthropology that connects an ethnographic and historical perspective with contemporary social issues in food production and consumption systems. ... Research has traced the material and symbolic importance of food, as well as how they intersect."

 

Dunno why that bolded but can't seem to undo it. It would most likely be a major in anthropology with a minor/focus on food studies.

If you're looking for references, there's a book called You Eat What You Are that would be good material, I found it to be fascinating.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Hey everybody, I'm still here. Haven't been feeling so good(don't worry, it's not you know what), so the last few days have just been a steady cycle of work/force down food/sleep. Gonna try and drag myself outside as it's actually sunny today, maybe the vitamin D will do me some good. Hope everyone is having a good weekend. 

 

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.  Hope you get to feeling better

 

4 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

 

Unfortunately, I don't think my credits will transfer as I used them to actually get the two degrees? They were from a technical college, not a culinary school per se. So not entirely sure how that would work. I'm not terribly sure where I want to go with it but teaching would be fun, I think. I never really wanted to be a teacher but I think if I found something specialized it would be worth it. I probably have more thoughts on this but I only slept 2.5 hours so articulating thoughts are not my strong suit right now.

 

I haven't heard of credits for degrees expiring when you use them.  Reusing credits is how a lot of these people with 10 degrees get there before they are 50.

 

Not sure though.  I got my ChE and I have been running successfully on that for my entire career.  

 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that Japan's NHK is currently explaining Brexit using a cartoon rabbit, squirrel, boar, and bear puppets. Additional props are nuts with flags on them and a wiggling cartoon fish. Maps and info are brought out in large, hollow, Styrofoam nuts and added to the board below the puppets.

 

Never change, Japan!

  • Like 12
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

If you're looking for references, there's a book called You Eat What You Are that would be good material, I found it to be fascinating.

 

I think I've heard of this? I know I haven't read it though. I will write this down and look into it. Another random but good book about food history is Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky. It gets very into the history and what not of salt. Very interesting read, I should find my copy and read it again I think. 

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Which is odd, considering that they've already been doing it:

 

20200926_141437.thumb.jpg.b17d4b7189440dda8a12348d48801e80.jpg

 

20200926_141427.thumb.jpg.cb7b5c60d10b74c0c7d039b7bcebf9c5.jpg

 

That makes it sound like Testor's may be spiralling down, cutting costs, even the ones that bring in money.

 

Border's was doing the same kind of thing, our last year.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...