Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Okay, gonna have to check out 5LFTB... not that I've even gotten in a single game of RoSD... Hmm, maybe I'll do that tomorrow!!

• Like 10

Finally got back on the painting horse tonight!  Not much: a couple touchups where the liner was showing through, the wing highlights (although I'm not happy with them, I'm not likely to redo them), and some work on the base.

Spoiler

Rauthuros1.jpg.9098351e025e00a95b07ca7d07966dd0.jpg

20200927_202035.jpg.06aa0e72a4f32080b13e2ececaae45cf.jpg

Still over-exposed.  I've really got to learn how to take half-way decent pictures one of these days.  Probably after I learn to highlight.

• Like 15

Hmmm... I wonder how easy it would be to make some 3D printed Weebles....

Just spotted some Glow in the Dark filament, and I think the Ghost from the Weebles Haunted House is lonely....

The Auld Grump

3 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Soylent Green is People!!!!!  ::D:

Also... (not for the squeamish)

Hide contents

I now have a wonderfully disturbing image of a horde of frogs (with sharp teeth) gnawing on corpses stuck in my head.

image.png.a440d666acbde59ea3a0ad17de11b720.png

The Auld Grump

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2020 at 5:08 AM, CaptainPete said:

I've been trying to clean and organize my apartment during all this... Well, all of the madness that is this year, and I'm kind of hitting a road block. I'm trying to get rid of stuff but I'm not sure if there's many places that are taking donations. I'm not even to try to see if Powell's is buying used books. :down:

Don't know about books, but our local Value Village is still taking donations.  We actually went there Friday to look for costume/cosplay stuff.  Somehow my 18 year old was able to find a nice beige linen jacket, two skirts and a pair of pants.  I guess it helps when you're around size 4, even if you are petite.  (Seriously, size 4 petite khaki pants from a petite boutique?  For $7.50???). She's supposed to be dressing up as Aziraphale from Good Omens, her friend is going to be Crowley.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

And 2020 just keeps getting "better".

Just on the radio news that there is a Brain Eating Amoeba in the water supply for Houston and adjacent areas to the south. :;,;:

Water not even safe for bathing. :down:

Time to get out the wash tub and the big water kettle.

Boil for 5 minutes and let stand until tepid then fill with freshly boiled water to bathing temp.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Tentacles, so many Tentacles
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 22

Science was performed with control specimen. Results will be posted to my youtube when I get the video together. If they don't want me to buy dullcote, I'll find my own varnish.

Spoilers: I have one that will work, in a bigger can, for 11 CAD.

Addition: I really should buy myself an airbrush soon though.

Edited by Adept Legacy
forgot last part.
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Adept Legacy said:

Science was performed with control specimen. Results will be posted to my youtube when I get the video together. If they don't want me to buy dullcote, I'll find my own varnish.

Spoilers: I have one that will work, in a bigger can, for 11 CAD.

Addition: I really should buy myself an airbrush soon though.

Is it one of the Krylon Varnishes?

Their flat and matte varnish work pretty good for my humble purposes.

GEM

• Like 8

On 9/26/2020 at 10:41 PM, Glitterwolf said:

What did we discuss about using Fireball in a confined space??? ::P:

I didn't ask how big the room was. I said I cast Fireball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 17

16 hours ago, Thoramel said:
On 9/27/2020 at 3:25 PM, SparrowMarie said:

I want to be a food anthropologist. 

That sounds fascinating. So would you research the cultural origins of food? I read a lot of journal articles. Mostly related to my line of work, but I also like to read stuff that just sounds interesting. And I'd almost certainly read an anthropological paper about food. Also, is this a field of study that already exists? Because if so I feel I'm missing out not reading about it already. 

If you're interested in something along these lines but in a more armchair sort of level, I suggest a YouTube channel called "Tasting History".

Also "How to Cook That" has done a few historical recipes, but there's a lot of non-historical stuff on that channel too.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

If you're interested in something along these lines but in a more armchair sort of level, I suggest a YouTube channel called "Tasting History".

Also "How to Cook That" has done a few historical recipes, but there's a lot of non-historical stuff on that channel too.

I'll check those out, thanks!

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I'll check those out, thanks!

For How to Cook That, look for titles "200 year old <blank>". She uses one recipe book from her (some number of generations) great-grandmother (from memory). And she just does the recipes, not so much the history.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Today being Yom Kippur I would like to take the opportunity to wish all of our Jewish Forumites an Easy Fast.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Flocks of cockatrices are best avoided, 2nd best dealt with from a distance, 3rd best allowed into melee range. Thankfully for the party members that weren't already statues, the burn nicely under the heat of a fireball spell. 

We need to get better at Leading with the fireball... 

Today's lesson: don't panic the magic-user, it gets messy

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Productive day, aside form D&D, and tomorrow should be as well. Going to attempt to visit Trader Joe's... We're down to the last bit of Pumpkin Spice waffle mix, and want to restock for the year. I'm hoping Monday morning won't be too busy.

You say that like its a bad thing:wacko:

good luck on your grocery store adventure

4 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hmmm... I wonder how easy it would be to make some 3D printed Weebles....

Just spotted some Glow in the Dark filament, and I think the Ghost from the Weebles Haunted House is lonely....

The Auld Grump

The weighting is the trick to making weebles.  I've seen STLs but they have to be carefully weighted or they don't stand up

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

And 2020 just keeps getting "better".

Just on the radio news that there is a Brain Eating Amoeba in the water supply for Houston and adjacent areas to the south. :;,;:

Water not even safe for bathing. :down:

Time to get out the wash tub and the big water kettle.

Boil for 5 minutes and let stand until tepid then fill with freshly boiled water to bathing temp.

GEM

Does UV work on that?  I have a UV grtup for my old fish tank I mainly keep around because there is nothing alive on the other side of the exposure.  When I took slide samples from my salt water tank (I was curious) the result was a holocaust like imagery: so many dead and ruptured micro-organiams...

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Just finished my 8-Hour Boredom Endurance Challenge.

...and how much coffee/tea/liquid caffeine did you consume?

• Like 6