Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Just now, haldir said:

TBH, I'd avoid Revell as their molds are old & it shows in the kits. That Shaguar kit has a copyright date of like 1963 or so on it.......:blink: & it definitely shows compared to say the Aoshima K.I.T.T Knight Rider kit.

You need to shop carefully for when the kit was manufactured.

I'm seeing kits from the mid 90s with a decent but higher price tag than later production kits.

GEM

• Like 5

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

You need to shop carefully for when the kit was manufactured.

I'm seeing kits from the mid 90s with a decent but higher price tag than later production kits.

GEM

Definitely. Also, not saying all older kits are garbage either. Just read reviews & build ups. Supposedly the this particular Jaguar kit (it's a re-box of a older kit anyways) was problems even when it was new...(lovely). Just hoping to get some blue paint on it & then work with those Union Jack decals....

I will admit, the Fast & Furious Dom's Charger is a dream kit to build. Mold lines are faint & the parts fit! It's also a newer kit, so expected.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, haldir said:

Definitely. Also, not saying all older kits are garbage either. Just read reviews & build ups. Supposedly the this particular Jaguar kit (it's a re-box of a older kit anyways) was problems even when it was new...(lovely). Just hoping to get some blue paint on it & then work with those Union Jack decals....

I will admit, the Fast & Furious Dom's Charger is a dream kit to build. Mold lines are faint & the parts fit! It's also a newer kit, so expected.

I think we've got two parallel track running here.  I'm talking about the 1:48 F-18 and you are talking about a Jaguar, I think? :wacko:

GEM

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I think we've got two parallel track running here.  I'm talking about the 1:48 F-18 and you are talking about a Jaguar, I think? :wacko:

GEM

Most likely. Overall I was just chatting about models in general. Older kits can be problematic, but it doesn't always apply.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdAVCB2g-zyg3zLWj9q2M

Timbers Win!!! PTFC!

Good game by the Timbers tonight. (6-3 over LA Galaxy)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

GEM

With regards to the F-18, looks like some of my better options are from Kinetic or Hasegawa, which kind of makes me wince and say "ouch" because boy those kits get expensive quick.  Might see if I can find a Revell kit though, and just keep an eye on things, but we shall see.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

COFFEE!!  Eh, too late... BEER!!

What a week... and it's only Wednesday... *sigh*

Docs still want to induce Mrs. Hamster around the 23rd. :unsure: I'd rather the little one stay in for a little longer, but... gotta trust the medical professionals. And Mrs. Hamster did again have elevated BP at her appointment today... so...

MOAR BEER!!

As much as inductions suck, pre-eclampsia and eclampsia are serious stuff.  Hopefully bed rest keeps that blood pressure down.  My thoughts will be with you two.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Finally got back from the city after waiting the better part of 7 hours in the car. Molly's surgery went well, all still indicates it was just a lipoma that somehow formed. They'll still send it to pathology to confirm nothing weird about it. Mass hadn't grown into any muscle tissue, they only had to remove the underlying skin and fat layers, so she won't have any impairment to her neck/throat function. She has to stay the night at the hospital, but I can call and ask about her at any time (which I will of course do at least twice, I wager). And she should be able to come home tomorrow.

That was a long 7 hour wait. Lot of stress eating (packed a snack bag), several cans of Coke (or as our Scottish friends call it, the "fizzy black full fat juice"), and sooo much hand sanitizer used (because it's become such a habit now). The look of "aren't you coming with me?" on Molly's face when they took her from the car was enough to make me sick in the stomach. Almost boaked.

So I got Dixie an appointment for next Tuesday to have the mass evaluated at the animal hospital. To help save some money on tests, the family vet coordinated with them and tomorrow Dixie gets dropped off at the vet for a full blood panel and chest x-rays. Honestly, that soon of an appointment was far better than what I was expecting them to get. I suspect the tests and eval will determine who (family vet vs hospital) will remove the mass (because there is only the one mass... positive thinking... positive thinking...).

Good news for Molly!

That's one less thing to worry about.

Now Dixie, if it's indeed only the one mass then that's a little silver lining.

Here's hoping they can take that out without problems and that it won't come back.

Good luck!!!

6 hours ago, TGP said:

That would be deaths from all causes?  With a lot less commuting and road traffic do you suppose maybe highway fatalities are way down?

I remember Cheap Trick doing a Live At Bhuddakan (sp?)  album. All the big bands would turn up in Japan when they got big enough back then.

As for reduced total deaths, we have that here as well.

Makes sense, everybody is afraid of Covid so they suddenly wash their hands more often.

That and social distancing will also help against other viruses.

The "normal" flu can kill thousands a year as well, so if less people contract that it means less deaths from that.

Also less traffic.

As for the big bands performing in Japan.

I've once read an interview ( I believe it was with KISS) that rock bands loved to record live albums in Japan because the audience likes to scream.

It sounds like everybody going wild on an album.

They all did it.

Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Cheap Trick, Van Halen, KISS,  etc etc..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Breakfast:

Turkish Yoghurt with red berries, blue berries, strawberries, honey, nuts/granola.

Tea. ( Forest Fruit flavour)

20201008_085531.jpg

Also....

Brutus sends kisses ( courtesy of Oldest Vixen)

Really, she can do anything with that dog

IMG-20201007-WA0000 - kopie.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Unfortunately not everyone is taking notice, as our restrictions are tightening on Friday. Pubs and restaurants closed for at least 16 days and unnecessarily travel is being discouraged as a kind of "circuit breaker" to try and slowdown our infection rates. We're still not allowed houseguests and I'm completely scunnered* by the whole situation. We haven't had a game of Pathfinder since March :unsure: How hard is it for people to obey basic hygiene methods? I was so angry today that I even painted! 

It doesn't help that the idea of "If we ignore Covid it might just go away." is really starting to take hold.

And now I really fancy a Munchy box for breakfast (hold the juice though).

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

So I'm converting Bones models into star wars appropriate figures.  Wicked Which of the West becomes a Jedi with Tara the Silent's head and a lightsabre, the resin octopus from Reapercon becomes either a Sith or a Jedi master (with no conversion at all, I might add), Jane Porter becomes a rouge/smuggler with a blaster pistol, and Willow Greenivy was going to become a padawan but an exhaustive I mean obsessive search of the bins has failed to turn her up even though she was RIGHT THERE a moment ago.

Also, does anyone make the 30mm round lipped bases without the slot?  I would use them ALL.

• Like 14

9 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I love the idea of sour cream old fashioned donuts. Those can be rather tasty... 

On a totally different front, anyone got any ideas for a decent 1:48 scale F-18 model?  I'm not having much luck finding any for some reason. 

18A/B/C/D or E/F?

I'm guessing an A/C model (or preferably a CF model?)

Looks like the Kinetic and HobbyBoss kits are the newest toolings if you can get your hands on one of them, otherwise (if I'm reading the timeline correctly) the most recent before that is the Hasegawa which is a 1991 tool.

As to where to get them from, not sure on that - and being 1:48 they'll be expensive (hell, 1:72 is getting expensive)

2 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

Also, does anyone make the 30mm round lipped bases without the slot?  I would use them ALL.

I know that most Wyrd plastics come with a round lipped base without the slot, and it looks like that have them in store

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

As for reduced total deaths, we have that here as well.

Makes sense, everybody is afraid of Covid so they suddenly wash their hands more often.

That and social distancing will also help against other viruses.

The "normal" flu can kill thousands a year as well, so if less people contract that it means less deaths from that.

Also less traffic.

Fear, or just common sense and consideration.

I reminds me of when a strain of SARS hit Toronto hospitals in the early 2000s. Their hospitals jumped into new protocols for distancing, isolation, disinfection, handling of hospital uniforms (it was still normal to see personnel go out to lunch in the same clothes they were wearing after visiting a sick patient), and so on. The measures reduced SARS contagion by 70%! Then people realized that every single other infectious disease often caught in hospitals also dropped by the same rate.

That was just from isolated cases in hospitals. If the general public was more diligent on a daily basis, all disease rates would be down all the time.

That being said, with this year's extreme measures, I am very curious about numbers for all diseases besides COVID.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 11