Jump to content

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Dangit, I forgot today is Indigenous Peoples Day, ie a no mail holiday.

 

I forgot about it too. Also means a bank holiday, which I very much needed to get to today.

 

Molly is doing well, being ornery yet again. She just wants to run and play, but that's still a no for another nine days. Dixie goes in tomorrow for her evaluation about the tumor on her chest. We're already expecting another large bill, and while the surgeon's skill is worth every penny, the combination of having Molly's surgery and Dixie's so close together is rough. We're just hoping for the best outcome possible for the evaluation (i.e. no spreading or having to wait 3 weeks for a surgical slot).

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ManvsMini said:

 

I forgot about it too. Also means a bank holiday, which I very much needed to get to today.

 

Molly is doing well, being ornery yet again. She just wants to run and play, but that's still a no for another nine days. Dixie goes in tomorrow for her evaluation about the tumor on her chest. We're already expecting another large bill, and while the surgeon's skill is worth every penny, the combination of having Molly's surgery and Dixie's so close together is rough. We're just hoping for the best outcome possible for the evaluation (i.e. no spreading or having to wait 3 weeks for a surgical slot).

 

This might sound daft, but have you considered a puppy crate for Molly? I know someone that had to keep their Rottweiler crater for a couple of weeks due to being attacked by another dog. You might even be able to hire one from a nearby kennel or rescue centre.

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

This might sound daft, but have you considered a puppy crate for Molly? I know someone that had to keep their Rottweiler crater for a couple of weeks due to being attacked by another dog. You might even be able to hire one from a nearby kennel or rescue centre.

 

No, not daft. If I thought she'd fit in one, I would lol. She won't fit in any of the ones we own, and on the slim chance she would fit, she might scrape her incision on it. Most of the pics I posted lately were of her as a puppy, but she's coming close to three years old (I just haven't gotten a recent pic of her on my laptop), weighs 98 lbs, and is pretty tall and long. They closed our local rescue shelter down about two years ago (budget cuts), and I assume if our vet would rent an appropriately sized one out that it wouldn't be cheap for two weeks.

 

Most dog books seem to say that dogs are fully grown and adult around two years; labradors are interesting in that, while they are mostly grown, they still have puppish tendencies into their third year. While she has matured greatly in the past six months, she's still got some puppy mentality to her. Plus, she wants to be around us, and is tired of staying with me so she follows any one else she can. Her mentality is that Dad is the Fun One (which is bad in her current condition), Mom is the Food Source, and I am The Betrayer and/or Killjoy.

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Crowley said:

@Glitterwolf
fantastic!!!

 

Today has been a great example of hurry up and wait...

 

Wonder when I'll next be able to paint or game. :unsure:  Gonna be plenty busy for a while. And gotta get back to studying...

 

welcome to CHANGES (dum, dum - DUM!)  ::P:

 

@Glitterwolf -- That is terrific news!  Glad to hear Brutus is a healthy doggie!  make sure you give him a treat from us!

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Crowley said:

@Glitterwolf
fantastic!!!

 

Today has been a great example of hurry up and wait...

 

Wonder when I'll next be able to paint or game. :unsure:  Gonna be plenty busy for a while. And gotta get back to studying...

 

Um... you are having a baby soon. My limited knowledge and understanding of that whole process is that your theme song, if it isn't already, should be R.E.M. "It's the End of the World As We Know It."

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

   Y'know, I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite...

 

 Coming home from work, traffic on a busy city street was held up for nearly three minutes by two dozen geese crossing the street - against the light...  Hell, they weren't even in the crosswalk.... :rolleyes:

 

Damn tourists.

 

 

(Must be French Canadian geese...)

 

 

  • Haha 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching the Vex video on the Reaper site. I know kinda want a Vex again....

 

First, thou I want a Elegoo resin printer!!! Thou, right now, I just need to go find some miniatures for the game tonight. Damn my organizational skills.....

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Pegazus said:

 

    Sure I’ll get every Friday off, but a ten hour day every day? I think I will be exhausted!

 

Four ten-hour days isn't too terrible as long as you're not doing something where you're constantly running your elf off the whole time doing physical work*. The key is actually to lay off things like coffee and energy drinks after the first half of the day and switch to something like fruit juice, and remember to bring healthy snacks and space them out during the day. Munching on something every couple hours and staying properly hydrated will keep you going, and you won't be all wired up when you get home.

 

 

 

 

 

*( On the other hand, I worked four tens when I was at a boating supply warehouse, as a small item picker. That was sort of rough for the first couple weeks. I was literally power-walking about fifteen miles a day carrying up to fifteen or twenty pounds of stuff, running back and forth picking orders and boxing them up to ship. And we worked until the day's orders were shipped, so sometimes those tens turned into twelves or fourteens, at least at the beginning of the boating season. On the up side, I lost about twelve pounds the summer I worked there.)

 

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
8 hours ago, Pegazus said:

 

Really not looking forward to my company going to a 4/40 work week. Sure I’ll get every Friday off, but a ten hour day every day? I think I will be exhausted! They haven’t announced switching yet, just a survey of employees about it. I’m sure every ski bum said they look forward to it. 
 

Mad Jack offers good advice. I have done 4 10s and I quite liked it.

 

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Vet called, Brutus is healthy!

It was a growth of connective tissue, nothing dangerous!

No further treatment necessary!

Great news!

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Really not looking forward to my company going to a 4/40 work week. Sure I’ll get every Friday off, but a ten hour day every day? I think I will be exhausted! They haven’t announced switching yet, just a survey of employees about it. I’m sure every ski bum said they look forward to it.

 

28 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Four ten-hour days isn't too terrible as long as you're not doing something where you're constantly running your elf off the whole time doing physical work*. The key is actually to lay off things like coffee and energy drinks after the first half of the day and switch to something like fruit juice, and remember to bring healthy snacks and space them out during the day. Munching on something every couple hours and staying properly hydrated will keep you going, and you won't be all wired up when you get home.

I've also worked a 4/40 schedule for years. Heck, I've had 7/12 hour day schedules.

 

It's not that bad. The body adapts. Depending on the commute time, the days don't even feel that much longer, but the evenings do feel a lot shorter.

 

What I did like about it is that it made appointments far easier to schedule.

 

Managing your caffeine intake is a good idea (i.e. knowing when you need the caffeine kick or not). Since I drink both coffee and tea, I realized that if I drank strong tea in the morning (less kick, but longer lasting), then strong coffee in the afternoon (just enough kick for the post-lunch afternoon energy crash), I could last all day.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...