Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Since I'm working from home I have a little more time in the morning, so I could walk a little longer with Brutus.

Autumn has kicked in and @malefactus has send out his minions to once again inhabit the Woods.

I found chestnuts, I will cook something up with them soon.

20201013_082244.jpg

20201013_082258.jpg

20201013_082435.jpg

20201013_082512.jpg

20201013_112714.jpg

• Like 18
  • Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

@ManvsMini, sorry to hear about your dad, needed hoping he won't be too difficult a patient ::(: 

I think a phrase that fits your situation is "Everything in yer favours against ye", which pretty much means that everything that could go wrong, especially things that you normally rely on, just did. We tend to use it a lot at work!

5 hours ago, sumbloke said:

Mashups are definitely a "thing". I've got a few t-shirt designs which are mashups.

Me too, this one is my favourite 

2310343_6.jpg.7fde7063cea7b57c64113656fbccb245.jpg

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Got more chestnuts.

Plan is to make Chestnut Puree with potatoes and cheese gratin.

20201013_131941.jpg

Oh yum.  but chestnuts are enough of a treat around me that they never get to the experimental stage.  I tend to roast them and eat them like popcorn.  Although occasionally i can be talked into giving up a few to make a chestnut stuffing for the thanksgiving turkey...

• Like 8
17 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

Weirdly enough, Brutus's latest good news is a load off my mind and I confess I hadn't really been paying attention.  

I am quite happy for all concerned.

Thank you.

How are things going? 

Did they get back to you about the interview?

@Kangaroorex I have about one Kilogram.

I need half for the puree.

The other half...I might bake a chestnut cake or something.

I love to cook

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6
39 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thank you.

How are things going? 

I love to cook

I do to.  but its also October and they look like little brains!  I used to drive my kids crazy when they were younger telling them that i was eating squirrel brains.  Took them a while to figure out what they really were!

but i love the flavor of roasted chestnuts and they are rare as hens teeth around my current domicile (which is weird because when we lived 100 miles south of here our neighbor had a chestnut tree in his front yard.  Today they are hard to find around me, rather low quality, and rather pricey (8-15 USD a kilogram)

a chestnut cake sounds absolutely yummy!

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 8
4 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I do to.  but its also October and they look like little brains!  I used to drive my kids crazy when they were younger telling them that i was eating squirrel brains.  Took them a while to figure out what they really were!

but i love the flavor of roasted chestnuts and they are rare as hens teeth around my current domicile (which is weird because when we lived 100 miles south of here our neighbor had a chestnut tree in his front yard.  Today they are hard to find around me, rather low quality, and rather pricey (8-15 USD a kilogram)

Take your pick!

https://www.yummly.com/recipes/chestnut-cake

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Man I miss chestnuts. When we were kids there were still a few trees left in a mixed oak forest near our farm. My mom tells me that when she was a kid there were so many there that they'd let the hogs root for them to fatten them up before selling them. Unfortunately chestnut blight has killed almost the entire population of native chestnut trees here in the states (like seriously, 9 million acres of chestnuts gone). Most of the chestnuts we see in stores now are imported, hence the high price and low quality. I know of only two places I can find live trees in my state. One is on public land and was actually kind of secret for a long time. Then someone wrote a story about it and folks started making a trip to see it. Unfortunately not everyone takes the proper precautions when coming to see it. And since the blight is still active it's not going to be long before someone wearing the same hiking boots they had on when walking through an Oak forest where the disease still thrives is going to infect it. The other location is actually a small uninfected stand in the middle of some privately held land in the Appalachian foothills. It's not near anywhere, no trails lead to it, and it is hard as all heck to get out there. Only a handful of people, mostly professional conservationists and the like, even know it exists so hopefully it will stay safe for a while. There's a lot of work being done to create a hybrid of the American Chestnut that is blight resistant. So fingers crossed we will see some chestnuts in the wilds again soon.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Good, now can you provide the chestnuts for making the cakes too? ::D:  As noted, these can be difficult to find.

37 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Man I miss chestnuts. When we were kids there were still a few trees left in a mixed oak forest near our farm. My mom tells me that when she was a kid there were so many there that they'd let the hogs root for them to fatten them up before selling them. Unfortunately chestnut blight has killed almost the entire population of native chestnut trees here in the states (like seriously, 9 million acres of chestnuts gone). Most of the chestnuts we see in stores now are imported, hence the high price and low quality. I know of only two places I can find live trees in my state. One is on public land and was actually kind of secret for a long time. Then someone wrote a story about it and folks started making a trip to see it. Unfortunately not everyone takes the proper precautions when coming to see it. And since the blight is still active it's not going to be long before someone wearing the same hiking boots they had on when walking through an Oak forest where the disease still thrives is going to infect it. The other location is actually a small uninfected stand in the middle of some privately held land in the Appalachian foothills. It's not near anywhere, no trails lead to it, and it is hard as all heck to get out there. Only a handful of people, mostly professional conservationists and the like, even know it exists so hopefully it will stay safe for a while. There's a lot of work being done to create a hybrid of the American Chestnut that is blight resistant. So fingers crossed we will see some chestnuts in the wilds again soon.

the chinese Chestnut is resistant to the blight and is the tree I am the most familiar with.   if I remember correctly the nuts are larger but less intense flavor, but still very yummy.  the tree is also much smaller.  There is also a number of american chestnut trees that have proven resistant to the blight and the forestry service has been actively cloning and sprouting those in the hopes of restoring the chestnut tree to its former glory in the american tree canopy.   Finally I know there is work being done to hybridize the american and asian chestnuts to produce a nut that has the flavor and size of the american tree and the resistance and nut size of the asian varieties.

Come to think of it, i should probably try and find a chestnut for my yard.  I had an ash tree die recently (thank you ash borer beetle :devil:) and need a replacement for the location.  Then maybe when i get my hands on some chestnuts, i can do more than just slit them and roast them in the fire (or not, its still one of my favorite ways to eat them...)

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thank you.

How are things going? 

I love to cook

The interview a month or so ago passed me up for something that was basically me + one other skill.  The interview a Monday ago appears to have been a friendly bust as well.  Back to the job boards.

• Sad 14
40 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

The interview a month or so ago passed me up for something that was basically me + one other skill.  The interview a Monday ago appears to have been a friendly bust as well.  Back to the job boards.

Bummer, I hope you will find something that suits you soon.

@Kangaroorex @Thoramel ours is the European Sweet Chestnut.

We have two kinds,

The Sweet Chestnut which is edible and the Horse Chestnut which is not edible.

Edible Sweet Chestnut

image.png.4c59dec3d860a713979a2b45eca998d5.png

Not Edible Horse Chestnut

image.png.2e7e3ab49190daf17f23fd6e31400a62.png

• Like 9