Jump to content
Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

For a while I tried to avoid telework by saying I didn't even have an office. That worked for awhile. Then the question became "but you have a kitchen table, can't you use that?"

Man, I'd be lucky to dodge that one... I could easily, and honestly answer with "no, I don't have one, and I don't have the space for one". 

 

.. I just wouldn't tell them about the almost 4x6' gaming table.... 

 

And nope, I definitely don't have a spare surface to dedicate to a laptop that I don't have, and I'm so not accepting one from work. Government workers get newer kit than our company gives out...  And yes, I'm referring to the government workers that get stuff that's like seven years out of date and barely runs things but "works fine" according to IT. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bah,  I ordered more some more of the soffit vents that I found make perfect platforms and walkways for 40k and they sent some metal ones instead of the plastic.  The description of the actual company that is selling through Amazon doesn't inspire confidence and I can't seem to find these particular vents  for sale elsewhere. 

  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Bah,  I ordered more some more of the soffit vents that I found make perfect platforms and walkways for 40k and they sent some metal ones instead of the plastic.  The description of the actual company that is selling through Amazon doesn't inspire confidence and I can't seem to find these particular vents  for sale elsewhere. 

Quite the first world problem. But still ::(:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TGP said:

Quite the first world problem. But still ::(:

 

Yeah, I wouldn't be so frustrated except that I picked up the railings that go with them just today and I have a few ideas bouncing around in my head.  In other news I found them for super cheap on alibaba but with a minimum order of 300.   That would be a lot of 40k terrain.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lowlylowlycook said:

 

Yeah, I wouldn't be so frustrated except that I picked up the railings that go with them just today and I have a few ideas bouncing around in my head.  In other news I found them for super cheap on alibaba but with a minimum order of 300.   That would be a lot of 40k terrain.


Sell the excess you don’t need on the Bay of E or the River of A. Relabeled as 40K terrain components for scratchbuilders with a suitable markup.
 

First world problems require first world solutions   :B): 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Household update: everyone seems to be doing ok. Dad's full cast gets put on tomorrow, Molly is doing well (though still having to fight her rambunctious-ness), and Dixie is still loveable. Mom seems to be holding up, very worried about her and the stress, but reinforcements (for a few days at least) are en route; sister from another state is coming (not happy about coming from another state, another source of the contagion's possible entrance into the house), but we need the help because now I am awaiting Covid test results.

 

Why did I have to get a Covid test? Last Friday my ear started going wonky periodically; a lot of crunching noise started in my ear after I laid down on my side next to Molly. Not trauma to it, just bizarre; the normal air and anything just barely touching my ear was crunching and sounding like someone tapping on a microphone to test if it worked. I finally got it to stop after applying pressure behind the ear, but it's been flaring up intermittently for the past few days, and kept me from sleeping last night.

 

Since Dixie has surgery next Friday, and Dad is laid up and can't help with her, I figure I need to see the doctor before Dixie's surgery because I won't be able to leave the house for long once she gets home from the animal hospital (Mom can't move her around if she needs help). I call this morning to make an appointment, and they have to ask the obligatory screening questions. And as it turns out, I had a sore throat this morning and a runny nose (the weather has been shifting between hot and cold and it's playing havoc with my sinuses), so I was honest and said "yes." That flagged me for enough Covid symptoms for the doctor's office to tell me I couldn't get in to see the doctor without a test (hospital and associate site policy).

 

I got to talk to the doctor about the ear, and it might be a small puncture in the ear drum; no way to know for sure without him looking at it. It could heal on its own, but sometimes it needs antibiotic drops. So I had to go get a test, and now have to isolate even further and somehow still take care of Molly and Dad while wearing a mask and keeping as far away as possible until I get results back. And even then I'll stay masked and keep my distance until 14 days passes. I might get the results tonight, doctor said they had been usually get same day results (and it's the PCR test, not a rapid test). At least my sister will be here to take my dad to get his cast (which I currently can't do).

 

Not mad at the doctor or the office, I understand, but the timing is just horrible... and it's like opening Pandora's box... and the swab test, while not the worst thing I've ever experienced, certainly is not a lover's tender caress.

 

Someone or something in the universe must really hate me.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Not mad at the doctor or the office, I understand, but the timing is just horrible... and it's like opening Pandora's box... and the swab test, while not the worst thing I've ever experienced, certainly is not a lover's tender caress.

Having had the swab a couple times in the last couple weeks, can confirm. It is a very weird unpleasant experience. 

 

Currently making some sausage stew. The IP is very full, but it did build pressure so, should be good. We've made it before, according to our sheet, and we liked it. Fingers crossed it comes out well again. Made a few changes this time... More veggies, and sausage chunks rather than just the meat.

https://meaningfuleats.com/instant-pot-sausage-lentil-stew/

 

Hamsterling is being a bit fussy tonight. Mrs. Hamster is grumpy thinking about the feeding/pumping schedule. Don't blame her. Sadly that's one chore I *can't* do for her.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Having had the swab a couple times in the last couple weeks, can confirm. It is a very weird unpleasant experience. 

 

Currently making some sausage stew. The IP is very full, but it did build pressure so, should be good. We've made it before, according to our sheet, and we liked it. Fingers crossed it comes out well again. Made a few changes this time... More veggies, and sausage chunks rather than just the meat.

https://meaningfuleats.com/instant-pot-sausage-lentil-stew/

 

Hamsterling is being a bit fussy tonight. Mrs. Hamster is grumpy thinking about the feeding/pumping schedule. Don't blame her. Sadly that's one chore I *can't* do for her.

Ya Know, cant is such a strong word...  with dedication and a little hormone therapy, you too can experience the thrill of breast feeding. 

 

be warned or you too could start receiving pamphlets!::D:

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

No.  MY kitchen table is for food preparation and food consumption. Period, Full Stop.

Using it for a work surface introduces issues with cleaning and sanitation I am not willing to deal with.

>Particularly if the use of a laptop is involved.  That thing is constantly sucking in whatever is floating about in the air and whatever germs are hitching a ride on the dust particles will find the innards of the laptop a relatively friendly environment,  It's warm, depending on local humidity levels it may be moderately moist, and there is a constant supply of fresh germs and nutrients being swept in and then blown out all over the room, and in particular whatever surface the device is on.  You don't know what has been incubating inside that thing since the last cleaning with pressurized air.<

I'm not aware of any studies that have been done of laptops as a disease vector but there should be at least a Masters Thesis and possibly a PHD dissertation in this area available for whoever is inclined to do the research.

GEM

 

The problem with all of these solutions is that your work has to need you more than you need your paycheck.  the typical conversation goes:

work:  you will work from home

me: I refuse and you cant make me!

work: okay but we can make you collect welfare.  Pick up your final paycheck on Friday

 

It doesnt work for a lot of us.  I work because I need money and medical insurance to keep me alive so when they tell me to do something, i can complain but I am going to do it.

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

 

The problem with all of these solutions is that your work has to need you more than you need your paycheck.  the typical conversation goes:

work:  you will work from home

me: I refuse and you cant make me!

work: okay but we can make you collect welfare.  Pick up your final paycheck on Friday

 

It doesnt work for a lot of us.  I work because I need money and medical insurance to keep me alive so when they tell me to do something, i can complain but I am going to do it.

 

Seems like, 'I refuse, I literally /cannot do this/ for lack of space' would be a better line.

I've set up office space (shared!) in a small apartment. It's .. not ideal. Actually, no. Scratch that. It's a pain in the keister.

 

And, 'oh, you can just use the kitchen table!' kind of .. assumes that one /has/ a kitchen table. The germ argument is just icing on that particular drek layer cake. :/

 

 

I have unprintable opinions about work and work-type demands right now. 

Anybody in the Roughly Seattle Area need an IT guy who specialises in infrastructure? I have one who /really/ needs out from under some ... really toxic ignorance. >.<

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, the joys of "mouse season"....nothing quite like having determined scratching abruptly start from underneath one whilest relaxing in the tub. Given the turns my mind normally takes, I had a "fun" moment or two as I desperately prepared myself for mortal combat with something coming up out of the floor....

Pretty sure it was a mouse though, this house isn't quite old enough to have a hidden temple to the Magna Mater hidden beneath the crawlspace, and I'm rather certain that the romans never made it into the area....

Still, I now have the reoccuring thought that perhaps I ought to see if the name "de la Pour" shows up in the genelogical woodpile...and maybe "borrow" the cat that occasionally wanders around the bird feeder, just in case Lovecraft's "Rats in the Walls" was actually a prophesy of some kind...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Man, I'd be lucky to dodge that one... I could easily, and honestly answer with "no, I don't have one, and I don't have the space for one". 

 

.. I just wouldn't tell them about the almost 4x6' gaming table.... 

 

And nope, I definitely don't have a spare surface to dedicate to a laptop that I don't have, and I'm so not accepting one from work. Government workers get newer kit than our company gives out...  And yes, I'm referring to the government workers that get stuff that's like seven years out of date and barely runs things but "works fine" according to IT. 

 

Dat me! I am one of those government workers ::P:

 

Yeah, I have a kitchen table in that it's in the great room area and was originally classified as a kitchen table. But yeah, it's also a 4'x6' gaming table :ph34r: "Kitchen table" implies I use it for non-gaming things.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:
On 10/13/2020 at 4:39 PM, PaganMegan said:

I thought that was what hockey is for? :huh:

 

The yearly battle for the UGLIEST TROPHY IN THE WORLD!

Mary Poppins was in Guardians of the Galaxy pt 2.

 

Well, he SAID he was Mary Poppins. :lol:

It is a pretty ugly trophy. Beyond that, I don't really pay attention to it all that much.  Some people go nuts for it, but it's just too expensive to go too. 

 

You seem like you're talking about Lord Stanley's Cup, but you cannot be.  It's a dignified bit of history, and takes your breath away when you get near (or even lay hands on) it.

 

That's another thing that makes it a thing of beauty...its accessible by the fans.  When it came through town a while back (probably 15 years or so), I made sure we all got to see it.  We even have a picture of the four of us with it!  Unfortunately, it was getting late when we got there so they were limiting the time you could have with the cup (by the time we got to it, it was pretty much reduced to get a glance, get your hands on it, get your picture taken, then move on for the next group).  But they stayed as late as they could (and then some) to get as many folks through the line as possible.

 

You're not going to get that with just any piece of history (sports or otherwise)!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:
1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Having had the swab a couple times in the last couple weeks, can confirm. It is a very weird unpleasant experience. 

 

Currently making some sausage stew. The IP is very full, but it did build pressure so, should be good. We've made it before, according to our sheet, and we liked it. Fingers crossed it comes out well again. Made a few changes this time... More veggies, and sausage chunks rather than just the meat.

https://meaningfuleats.com/instant-pot-sausage-lentil-stew/

 

Hamsterling is being a bit fussy tonight. Mrs. Hamster is grumpy thinking about the feeding/pumping schedule. Don't blame her. Sadly that's one chore I *can't* do for her.

Ya Know, cant is such a strong word...  with dedication and a little hormone therapy, you too can experience the thrill of breast feeding. 

 

be warned or you too could start receiving pamphlets!

While true, by the time it was effective, I feel like the effort would be wasted.

 

Stew is yummy. As is the Guinness that went with it!

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Ya Know, cant is such a strong word...  with dedication and a little hormone therapy, you too can experience the thrill of breast feeding. 

 

be warned or you too could start receiving pamphlets!::D:

 

The problem with all of these solutions is that your work has to need you more than you need your paycheck.  the typical conversation goes:

work:  you will work from home

me: I refuse and you cant make me!

work: okay but we can make you collect welfare.  Pick up your final paycheck on Friday

 

It doesnt work for a lot of us.  I work because I need money and medical insurance to keep me alive so when they tell me to do something, i can complain but I am going to do it.

I'm fully aware of these problems.  But without some of us initiating a discussion more and more the companies will attempt to shift what has traditionally been a major portion of their Cost Of Doing Business onto the backs of the very workers who make the company a viable business entity.And this isn't strictly a Company vs Worker issue, this level of restructuring of the general business model has ramifications far beyond the workplace, going to the very structure of society itself.

I'm very aware of there always being somebody out there who is willing to undercut whatever wage or standards are considered "the norms" just to get the business.  The trucking industry is rife with "scabs" and why "Say No To Cheap Freight" is the byword for ethical independent truckers.

We have spent, as a society, more than a century building our cities to operate in a certain fashion and certain long term planning assumptions have been made, including the ever present "How are we going to pay for this stuff?" delima.  If business are, for all practical purposes, going to kick over their business model overnight, then there are going to have to be some serious rethinking of what a city is and how it functions.  somebody has to pay for this, and I don't think it is reasonable or even ethical for corporations to expect their employees to accept these changes without some oversight, and if necessary, government pressure brought to bear.

For myself, it isn't a problem, and not just because I'm retired on disability.  My wife and I have both had dedicated office space in our home ever since we have been married.  Most people don't have the luxury to afford this sort of space to be dedicated to mostly outside the home activities.

Take your two income family with a couple of kids.  Each Income Stream will require its own office space that doesn't interfere with the other persons space and equipment needs, and that includes the demands placed on the internet.  Add in a couple of children being home-schooled and the space and infrastructure requirements just keep getting bigger.  In many areas of the country the existing internet infrastructure isn't capable of handling this increase in demand, and won't be for an indeterminate number of years.  That infrastructure does exist, because it has been built for the office buildings.  To suddenly abandon that investment in build-out and unrecovered costs places an unreasonable burden on the providers, especially when coupled with the new demand for the same level of intense infrastructure spread over a large area.

It's a larger problem than "OH, can't you just work at your kitchen table?"  And it needs to be approached as such.

GEM

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...