Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

If the other side of the continent and border is close enough to the RSA, I could probably point you at something.....

Depends on whether they're willing to allow for telework, I guess. Hey, @aturriff, do you want to know more?

*figures if she's gonna start a PM storm, might as well involve all necessary parties..*

• Like 8
22 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

The IT security guys at work like to send out fake emails at random directing employees to go to a website linked in the message under the guise that it has something to do with insurance, retirement, direct deposit, whatever. The emails always have a bunch of little things you should be looking for that identify it as a fake email and when you get to the linked page it basically tells you you failed your internet wisdom check and you need to try harder in the future. Too many failures and you have to take extra security training. 

This morning my manager, who is still fairly new, sent out digital gift cards to everyone in our group as a thank you for getting a big project completed. Unfortunately she forgot to tell us all and a little over half the group immediately reported it as a phishing attempt before someone thought to ask her if it was real. She just sent an email out to us apologizing for not letting us know they were coming, praising our internet security diligence, and letting us know she is now required to take the extra security training for sending everyone something that looks like a scam. 

File this under "No good deed ever goes unpunished.".

GEM

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

@ManvsMini, glad the test came back negative. Here's hoping you can persuade your houseguests to tow the line a bit more.

Well, the right combination of my buttons were pushed (by several parties) and it keyed in the launch code for me to go ballistic. In a nutshell, stated, in my opinion, anyone that comes to their 70+ year-old parents' house from another state where they attended and left from a business event in another city (not even their own home where they could have been some form of isolated) who doesn't wear a mask and keep their distance when possible is extremely irresponsible. And this trip wasn't spur of the moment due to dad's accident (which still doesn't change my stance on wearing a mask); apparently it had been planned without my knowledge until a few days before (not without my own protests), and happened to coincide.

Family can be nice... but they can also be a right pain in the arse, usually at the worst times.

I really try not to be an a-hole... but if you mess with the safety or health of my parents or fur-babies, the gloves come off, and the claws and fangs come out.

EDIT: dad did not get his full cast today, he had too much swelling. We have to get the swelling down for another appointment next Tuesday. They did put a second splint in place and re-wrapped it. Molly is feeling the cabin fever today; she's trying to jump and run even more than usual.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 9
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Well, the right combination of my buttons were pushed (by several parties) and it keyed in the launch code for me to go ballistic. In a nutshell, stated, in my opinion, anyone that comes to their 70+ year-old parents' house from another state where they attended and left from a business event in another city (not even their own home where they could have been some form of isolated) who doesn't wear a mask and keep their distance when possible is extremely irresponsible. And this trip wasn't spur of the moment due to dad's accident (which still doesn't change my stance on wearing a mask); apparently it had been planned without my knowledge until a few days before (not without my own protests), and happened to coincide.

Family can be nice... but they can also be a right pain in the arse, usually at the worst times.

I really try not to be an a-hole... but if you mess with the safety or health of my parents or fur-babies, the gloves come off, and the claws and fangs come out.

EDIT: dad did not get his full cast today, he had too much swelling. We have to get the swelling down for another appointment next Tuesday. They did put a second splint in place and re-wrapped it. Molly is feeling the cabin fever today; she's trying to jump and run even more than usual.

I hope you can resolve the problem without burning bridges..

Wishing you wisdom and strength!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Anne will have her AMA (Ask Me Anything) tomorrow (Friday) during her Reaper Toolbox stream at 11:30 AM.  She has one whenever she gets enough subs, which I believe is now 100 per AMA.  Leave questions on Reaper's Discord in the anne-ama channel.  Discord:  https://t.co/9YtFXYFXO8?amp=1

She generally uses those questions first and may take more from chat if she runs out or possibly earlier.  There will also be some kind of giveaway, but I don't think they've yet specified what it will be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I hope you can resolve the problem without burning bridges..

Wishing you wisdom and strength!

It's not the first time we've had a fight, but it's the scariest health environment in which we've ever had one (previous was during someone's chemotherapy). We'll smile and be polite in front of everyone else, and grind teeth out of sight. Trust me, when I want a bridge burned, I make sure that sucker is vaporized.

The issue that surprises me is that my sister is a well-educated, very talented woman who, while not a doctor, works in the medical field with numerous doctors; she should know the risks of her actions. To me, the decision should be a no-brainer. This, I fear, is where an earlier comment I made about hubris may factor in. Fatal flaw of so many Greek heroes is excessive pride or self-confidence.

• Like 12
On 10/13/2020 at 9:34 PM, ManvsMini said:

's possible his pride is also getting in the way. Still having a hard time acknowledging that being 72 is not the same as being 32 or even 62. What can I say, he's crotchety.

My dad was 72 when his fall lead to him being hospitalized and then put in a home for dementia. After his fall I scheduled him to see a neurologist, with a 2 month waiting period. By the time that appointment came up he was already in the hospital. 

If you can, the time to see a neurologist and talk about a living will is NOW. Things can happen fast. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Depends on whether they're willing to allow for telework, I guess. Hey, @aturriff, do you want to know more?

*figures if she's gonna start a PM storm, might as well involve all necessary parties..*

@Sylverthorne Cannot hurt. Not like most of what I do requires on-site presence (unless working on layers 1 and 2, but I rarely do that these days)

Edited by aturriff
  • Like 5

Painting Platinum! #043 -- started at 3:12 PM.  Sadie is painting the Phoenix, 03001. 

The giveaway today is three paints: Clear Phthalo Blue, Clear Phthalo Green, Clear Orange.  One set for each five subs.  She later said there would be three bonus sample paints, too.

https://www.twitch.tv/reaperminiatures

Edited by Serenity
Info added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

You say this as Mrs. Hamster's aunt and grandparents are about to arrive... Unexpectedly.

The aunt had arranged to come on Saturday.

Alone.

*SIGH

• Sad 11
55 minutes ago, Crowley said:

You say this as Mrs. Hamster's aunt and grandparents are about to arrive... Unexpectedly.

The aunt had arranged to come on Saturday.

Alone.

*SIGH

Lights off, lock the door, pretend no-one's home

You have a newborn, more than enough reason to exclude people who arrive unannounced (congratulations BTW).

Alternatively, you and Mrs Hamster take the baby out and leave the visitors to clean the bathrooms and kitchen, make dinner and meals for the next week etc...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2