Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

All the talk of ice cream has made it necessary for a pilgrimage to the Blue Bunny section of the frozen foods aisle.

With a stop at Menchie's [fro-yo] on the way back.

GEM

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

All the talk of ice cream has made it necessary for a pilgrimage to the Blue Bunny section of the frozen foods aisle.

With a stop at Menchie's [fro-yo] on the way back.

GEM

Seriously thought about stopping at B&R (inside a Chevron station here) later. I may have to see if the wife & kids wanna tag along. Mint sounds good right now. :wub:

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

On one hand I'm glad he can't because his mother is a terrible cook.

So was mine - that's why I started cooking.

Rather than wait for the orcs to attack our camp again, we are tracking them.

I was expecting a fort or a fortified camp.

What we found was a dungeon... with a troll chained outside of the entrance like a watchdog. His flesh has grown over the collar, so the chain is actually going into his neck. :unsure: I have no idea what he would do if we somehow manage to shatter his chain - but I think he will just attack whoever is nearest. His neck is seeping.

There are also some barricades in front of the entrance, facing the path - but they are not manned, right now.

We are at full HP, and only down a few low level spells - we are deciding whether to attack now, or rest and regain the spells - the weight of opinion seems to be... ... ... get pizza and make the decision as we nosh. (But leaning towards kill them now, not later.)

Svenlinda - Julie's witch -  has a Fireball prepared. That is it for fire damage, so if we attack the troll, it will be a hard fight. I don't know what her hexes are, aside from Cauldron and Cackle. No Alchemist Fire. And if we want to sneak... torches are a no-no. (We are attacking by day - so if the orcs come out to play they will suffer from the daylight.)

We have the party, Sera, and two dwarfs - the giant stayed at the village to help guard it, and to be fed for his aid in the battle against the orc raiders.

The Auld Grump

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

On one hand I'm glad he can't because his mother is a terrible cook.

ETA: carbonara is delicious.

My wife started cooking in defense of flavor.  Her mother wasnt a terrible cook but she did not know how to flavor anything and all was bland colorless and tiring.  Which is unsurprising because her mother was one of those people who ate because the body needed fuel, not because she enjoyed it. In these modern times she probably would have lived off of ensure and energy bars and never give a thought to cooking ever again.

I started cooking because my mother insisted and it was fun.  My family liked to see something new on the dinner table at least once a week. Some of it worked, some not so much (the less said about the green jello potato salad the better!)  Overall though both me and my brother wound up being able to cook, i enjoyed it much more than he did though.

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

So was mine - that's why I started cooking.

Rather than wait for the orcs to attack our camp again, we are tracking them.

I was expecting a fort or a fortified camp.

What we found was a dungeon... with a troll chained outside of the entrance like a watchdog. His flesh has grown over the collar, so the chain is actually going into his neck. :unsure: I have no idea what he would do if we somehow manage to shatter his chain - but I think he will just attack whoever is nearest. His neck is seeping.

There are also some barricades in front of the entrance, facing the path - but they are not manned, right now.

We are at full HP, and only down a few low level spells - we are deciding whether to attack now, or rest and regain the spells - the weight of opinion seems to be... ... ... get pizza and make the decision as we nosh. (But leaning towards kill them now, not later.)

Svenlinda - Julie's witch -  has a Fireball prepared. That is it for fire damage, so if we attack the troll, it will be a hard fight. I don't know what her hexes are, aside from Cauldron and Cackle. No Alchemist Fire. And if we want to sneak... torches are a no-no. (We are attacking by day - so if the orcs come out to play they will suffer from the daylight.)

We have the party, Sera, and two dwarfs - the giant stayed at the village to help guard it, and to be fed for his aid in the battle against the orc raiders.

The Auld Grump

There's never a Rust Monster handy when you need one most.

Does anyone in the party have any kind of a spell in their spellbooks that might weaken the metal of the collar/chain?

G'Luck

GEM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

There's never a Rust Monster handy when you need one most.

Does anyone in the party have any kind of a spell in their spellbooks that might weaken the metal of the collar/chain?

G'Luck

GEM

Svenlinda has the Slumber hex - we put him to sleep, broke his chain, opened the door, and then got the Hell out of Dodge - he only stayed asleep for five rounds, one for every level Svenlinda has.  ::D: DtY's ranger was the only one going in - making noises to draw the troll inside, then staying hidden.

We are hearing... a bit of a ruckus, including what sounds like a fireball.

Every spell they use up is a spell that won't hit us. Every wound they take is a wound we won't have to deal. I suspect the troll is doomed - but he will take his tormentors with him as he goes to Valhalla. Every orc that falls is one that will not be attacking us. (Yeah, we're missing out on some XP - but.... :devil: )

Not my plan - Duncan's and Dennis the Younger's.

The Auld Grump

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I have decided to headbutt a planet destroying star ship. 

If that works out the way my experience did with the old Chevy Pickup [moving aprox. 60 mph at impact] you will need to roll a 20 on Luck, a 20 on Dex, and a 20 on Stamina, plus have an inordinately hard head and your Guardian Angels working double shift in order to make it.

GEM

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

Try having to avoid all three!

hence my wife developing a pile of recipes that avoid these ingredients

Gawds, it's tough enough having to deal with soy and mushrooms, that trio sounds like one has to be rather resourceful to say the least... 

I think the "pile of recipes" is the stage we're working towards right now - find out what we like, methods to make things that don't take forever (or half a day sitting in a crock pot), and steadily move towards a nice amount of variety in our diet. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Svenlinda has the Slumber hex - we put him to sleep, broke his chain, opened the door, and then got the Hell out of Dodge - he only stayed asleep for five rounds, one for every level Svenlinda has.  ::D: DtY's ranger was the only one going in - making noises to draw the troll inside, then staying hidden.

We are hearing... a bit of a ruckus, including what sounds like a fireball.

Every spell they use up is a spell that won't hit us. Every wound they take is a wound we won't have to deal. I suspect the troll is doomed - but he will take his tormentors with him as he goes to Valhalla. Every orc that falls is one that will not be attacking us. (Yeah, we're missing out on some XP - but.... :devil: )

Not my plan - Duncan's and Dennis the Younger's.

The Auld Grump

The battle turned into a short cluster clunk.

About sixteen orcs were still alive - and they were all gathered in what I think is the central chamber - most of them injured.

Julie won initiative - and cast Fireball at the big clump of orcs surrounding the dead troll. A bunch of already wounded orcs died, but the orc leader managed to avoid taking any damage at all.

Duncan jumped onto a stone shelf, and started singing.

Jon raged and charged - killing his target.

Orc leader charged Jon, and did a pretty good job with his two handed axe.

I charged the orc leader, and did a pretty good job with my Smite.

Three orcs piled in to the Orc,/Jon/Grump melee - only one hitting Jon, the others targeting me, but not getting past my armor and shield.

Dennis the Younger charged the orc leader, flanking him with me - and killed him with a Sneak Attack.

Two more orcs charged Dennis the Younger's half orc - and brought him down to about half HP, both getting solid hits.

Sera charged one of the orcs on Dennis the Younger, killing it with a Sneak attack and Favored Enemy. (Multiclass Ranger/Rogue or Slayer, not sure which.)

Jenny ran in and cast Cure Light Wounds of the half orc.

Two more orcs charged Jenny's cleric, and brought her down to about half.

The two dwarfs charged together - one having held his action - and used a teamwork feat to attack the next biggest orc - hurting him, but not taking him out.

Orc adept tried to curse me, but I made my save.

Then the rest of the orcs split up - trying to get two on each of us and flank. Jon, Julie, and Jenny took more damage.

Next round -

Julie cast Lightning Bolt - hitting the adept and the second largest orc, and killing three of the orc mooks. Just missing both Jon and me.

Duncan kept singing.

Jon moved a bit, then cut the second largest orc in half.

I charged the adept, and took him out with a lucky hit,

DtY moved a bit, to flank an orc, and killed him.

Sera moved a bit and killed another of those orcs.

Jenny stepped back, and cast Cure Light Wounds on Jenny.

The last orc on her took away all the healing she had managed to do.

The dwarfs killed another orc.

And the last few orcs broke and ran - with one of them falling to an attack of opportunity as he ran by Jon, DtY injuring, but not killing another.

We tried to give chase, but only took out one more orc before they reached the exit.

And there we paused for the night - only three rooms checked.

This feels more like an outpost than a home - so I am hoping there are no orc widows and orphans.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* A seventh level encounter for a fifth level party.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 8