Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

2 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

A little frustrated with my D&D group. We haven't played in like 3 weeks for one reason or another. Like they're reasonable reasons but I need my D&D fix. Especially since this is my only like social outlet where I actually get to talk to people on voice chat. I'm also still a few days out from not being in 14 day quarantine so that doesn't help. Had to schedule my therapy Tuesday as a phone appointment because of this. Which I don't particularly like doing. Anyway, I'm trying to write but seeing as I'm here it's not going well. I want to do NaNoWriMo again this year but I've got zero ideas for a story.

I totally understand where your coming from for the "fix". It may be simple but once you've played & then you don't play, you wonder when you'll get to do it again. I think that is why when the shop re-opened in July after being down from March & then it had to shut down again due this county (which btw, we still are leading the state per capita!!! :bday: <_<:grr:), could get their crap together (gov'nah shut us down), it was one of the reason why I started my Saturday group. I'm back at the FLGS but I think I'm gonna do bi-weekly & let a guy that's been wanting to run games do the other 2 weeks in a month. At least for now, as I know he's a old school type player & has allot of ideas he'd rather see in 5e AL then what AL wants you to run. 

• Like 6

Ended today's after  school game with a combat - but there was almost a battle against the rakshasa... it would have gone badly.

Sharah is a rakshasa vizier of CR 14 - the PCs are level 5 - the paladin was the only one that could hurt it - and was also the one that talked both sides down. Yes, the rakshasa is eeeeviiil! but he hadn't done anything, and was helping them at the time.... The paladin had to apologize to an evil Outsider - which amused the rakshasa enough that he accepted it.

Sharah is entirely driven by his own pleasure and amusement.

At some point that female paladin will find a small cat that will really enjoy being petted.... Because it will amuse Sharah. It's not going to actively do anything - but may turn back into Sarah at some inconvenient point that will, again, amuse Sharah. (There is a... particular scene in Rocky Horror Picture Show that comes to mind.)

Sharah will be a continuing thorn in their side. Showing up, annoying them, then leaving.

Then they had an actual combat - the same kobolds that worried Megan in the adult version of the game, only a lot more of them.

With Casey in prison, they won't meet until the kobolds are likewise locked up. (Grovel, grovel, worship, worship.)

The PCs defeated their enemies just before I wrapped for the night.

The Auld Grump

• Like 11

Kind of wish we had time to run another live game...

But.. *sigh* All that energy we don't have.. and that accounts for it not likely every week. >.<

• Like 4

well. I was going to get in a live game this weekend, but then I just got a message on discord that someone in someone's biology class tested positive, and since I live with my parents. That visit is off the table for at least a week until we get test results back, and probably two weeks or more because I'm paranoid. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

Well I got to play a small in person game of pulp Cthulhu in person last week.  Was pretty fun not having to fight technical issues just to play a game.  Their week we are going to a cabin and hopefully my captive gaming group (my family) will have time to get some playing in.  Unlike board games, rpgs don't take up much space, especially if we are doing theater of the mind games like cthulhu and Numenra 

• Like 8

I regret not having kids every time I'm trying to round up a D&D group. And whenever I have to mow the lawn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

Discord, Mumble and more than one virtual tabletop program have been ridiculously handy in the last few months... but it's not the same. :/

Still. Does let us meet up at least in one sense. 

... and if somebody gets it into their head they want an Adult Beverage with their gaming, they can have one, and not need to worry about how to get home. There are advantages, for sure.

• Like 7

I've now given myself homework. All this talk of writing got the ideas flowing and now I find myself needing to do some in depth research on Pope, Hardin, and Williamson Counties in Southern Illinois. In one of my earlier stories, a group of bank robbers holes up in an abandoned motor lodge in Shawnee National Forest that is the den of a very hungry eldritch entity. The entity ties in with my version of Cahokia, and while another of it's ilk plays a large role several years later, the one in Southern Illinois didn't return except for the occasional mention.

Well, now I've got a rough outline for it's history from 1600 to 2004, and the few snippets of interesting things I've been able to find out about the area are tying in nicely so far, and ideas aplenty for a series of short stories about it. Which on one hand I'm quite happy about, on the other, I'm having a hard enough time finishing what I've already been trying to work on as it is. 

I did kind of see this coming though, I've been bingeing on old school psychic detective stories, Dr. Taverner, John Silence, etc, and recently hit the collected works of Manly Wade Wellman. I hadn't read too much of Wellman's work until recently, and it's kind of interesting how many of my ideas run so close to his at times. I was surprised to find he liked to use Montague Summers' works and the Compendium Maleficarum as reference or in one case, a direct story seed, as I'm fond of trying to keep the supernatural element in my stories grounded in the same or in line with the ideas of the Golden Dawn. I was also trying to think up a way to use the "Bloody Benders" of Kansas in something, only to discover Wellman wrote a novel about them around 1960. Ninja'd by several decades...

Of course this project isn't made easier by the fact that the furthest South I've been in Illinois is Pana, so I'm not exactly sure if the layout of Shawnee could hide an abandoned motor lodge for decades...

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Does anyone else feel that putting Birthdays under Off Topic Rampancy made it a lot more likely that you would notice them?

The one thing I am not liking about the new set up.

The Auld Grump

Same - I've found myself paying a lot less attention to it, and a few other categories too.  And that's before we mention all the scrolling on mobile. I also don't like that the CAV section was put at the very bottom, past off topic.  That and its labelled a Reaper Game, but isn't it a Talon Games thing? 

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Friday!!

Just 8 more hours to go....

It's even stronger for me... Sure, yesterday was the last day I could bring my work vehicle home... But once I survive work today, I have two weeks off.. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I did kind of see this coming though, I've been bingeing on old school psychic detective stories, Dr. Taverner, John Silence, etc, and recently hit the collected works of Manly Wade Wellman. I hadn't read too much of Wellman's work until recently, and it's kind of interesting how many of my ideas run so close to his at times. ...

79E5D814-7872-4BF4-8BC5-15B662600C68.jpeg.20da89df2d2975b87b20f7cc5302b00f.jpeg

I’ve got a bunch of Wellman on my shelf (with the collected Silver John short stories in a different room this morning) and have ben meaning to read them again ...

• Like 6

needed to mope, sorry bout that.  put it behind spoilers because it really is a first world problem but life is really beginning to wear and, once again, there is not even anyone i can rail against or get angry at.

Ever get the feeling that there is some higher power out there that just doesn't like you?  Was planning on a vacation at a nice little cabin on the edge of the Smoky Mountain national park complete with isolation, hot tub, views and a game room.  Today i get a call that the current tenant managed to short out the electrical system and what they have available is a much smaller house, basically in town with no hot tub, no game room and only two bedrooms.  My wife cant move her vacation so now I'm stuck in a location with insufficient space with the everybody tripping over each other the entire week or stuck going nowhere, again, for the entire week.  And, of course, not one person in the family has lifted a finger to help with the vacation planning or getting anything done for it.

what i love is the realtor calling to tell me the issue is going on about how this is better: smaller house, less amenities, poor view, less seclusion, same price.  I fail to see how this is an improvement just because its closer to a town.  I rent a cabin because i want to get away from people, not because i want to be near a city in lockdown.  

Sorry for the downer,  I really should be happy that i am still around and as healthy as I am but it would be nice if things occasionally worked out at least close to what i was looking for.  

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Sad 21