Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

20 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I've now given myself homework. All this talk of writing got the ideas flowing and now I find myself needing to do some in depth research on Pope, Hardin, and Williamson Counties in Southern Illinois. In one of my earlier stories, a group of bank robbers holes up in an abandoned motor lodge in Shawnee National Forest that is the den of a very hungry eldritch entity. The entity ties in with my version of Cahokia, and while another of it's ilk plays a large role several years later, the one in Southern Illinois didn't return except for the occasional mention.

Well, now I've got a rough outline for it's history from 1600 to 2004, and the few snippets of interesting things I've been able to find out about the area are tying in nicely so far, and ideas aplenty for a series of short stories about it. Which on one hand I'm quite happy about, on the other, I'm having a hard enough time finishing what I've already been trying to work on as it is. 

I did kind of see this coming though, I've been bingeing on old school psychic detective stories, Dr. Taverner, John Silence, etc, and recently hit the collected works of Manly Wade Wellman. I hadn't read too much of Wellman's work until recently, and it's kind of interesting how many of my ideas run so close to his at times. I was surprised to find he liked to use Montague Summers' works and the Compendium Maleficarum as reference or in one case, a direct story seed, as I'm fond of trying to keep the supernatural element in my stories grounded in the same or in line with the ideas of the Golden Dawn. I was also trying to think up a way to use the "Bloody Benders" of Kansas in something, only to discover Wellman wrote a novel about them around 1960. Ninja'd by several decades...

Of course this project isn't made easier by the fact that the furthest South I've been in Illinois is Pana, so I'm not exactly sure if the layout of Shawnee could hide an abandoned motor lodge for decades...

Absolutely you can hide in those forests! I'm in Williamson County. Find the book "Bloody Williamson" it will have a lot of good information for your premise...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Figures. Well played Mr weather. Well played. 

First time it hasn't been cloudy at night AND I can technically stay up late.. 

I'd rather be playing Elite Dangerous. 

I swear it being five below outside has absolutely nothing to do with this.  I also suspect it's the fact I don't want to walk out twenty minutes to get to a semi-dark (for the city) area, then set up, then realize I'm insanely tired, and now half an hour away from home. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 8

16 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

79E5D814-7872-4BF4-8BC5-15B662600C68.jpeg.20da89df2d2975b87b20f7cc5302b00f.jpeg

I’ve got a bunch of Wellman on my shelf (with the collected Silver John short stories in a different room this morning) and have ben meaning to read them again ...

Have you ever seen the move that they made from one of his books?

The Legend of Hillbilly John.

Based on the John the Balladeer series. I will not say it is a good film.

The Auld Grump - I used to tell two of the stories from that series - Oh, Ugly Bird and Mandy, Mandy.

• Like 8

I got my flu shot yesterday morning before bed and, man, I am very off kilter now. I don't feel sick as much as I just feel... Off. Like, something isn't quite right but I can't put my finger on it. Thankfully, I won't be messing around with sharp objects or minis tonight. :upside:

Edit: Um, I just watched the video from Lawful Masses about Hero Forge and I have many feelings... ::(::blink::grr:

Edited by CaptainPete
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

I got my flu shot yesterday morning before bed and, man, I am very off kilter now. I don't feel sick as much as I just feel... Off. Like, something isn't quite right but I can't put my finger on it. Thankfully, I won't be messing around with sharp objects or minis tonight. :upside:

This! I usually don't react to flu shots, but this one made for a pretty miserable day after. Just felt off and sore all over. Temp was higher than normal, but not fever high. It helped make this a very long week. 

• Like 8

saturday morning of a vacation week.  Me and Mrs. Rex are off for a week!

Hopefully i gave enough warning and snapped at enough people that i will actually get some time away from work for a while.

but enough of that, I am off for a week! Gaming today, gaming tomorrow, and off to North Carolina for a week in a red white cabin rental property.  Not perfect but I had to improvise at the last minute when the rental company called to say that the last tenants had blown out the electrical system in the cabin and it was uninhabitable for our stay  Hopefully the new place will be as nice as it looks.

• Like 14

-10 C and a couple inches of snow on the ground. After a long hot summer and fall winter came early and hard. Forecast isn't predicting much above freezing in the near future either. Not ready for this yet but what can you do? September was a mess for me and I didn't accomplish much or I would have been ready. Now I get to play in the snow and wet. Ah well the last 3 years the weather was even worse much earlier so I'll try not to complain too much.

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

47 minutes ago, Crowley said:

COFFEE!!

My disdain for coffee has never been stronger than it is today. Imagine a silent house, before the sunrise. You are in that sweet spot where you are barely awake, trying to snuggle into the warmth for a few more precious minutes...

And then suddenly an elfing coffee machine breaks the silence, because it sounds like a dang jet engine taking off, awakening slumbering dogs, and humans alike. And then added is the cacophony of a dishwasher being started, and the banging of a pot being dropped in the sink... all because your houseguest decided to get up early, had to have coffee immediately, and can't stand dishes left in a sink (which wouldn't fit in the dishwasher, which is why they were left in the sink and would have been washed in the morning).

My current feelings towards all you coffee drinkers: GRRRRRRRRRRR.

My never-changing feelings towards houseguests who don't act like a guest and act like the inhabitant/owner: GRRRRRRRRRR.

Edited by ManvsMini
typo
  • Like 5
  • Sad 5

First day of Navaratri, the nine nights before Dasami when Durga vanquished the buffalo demon Mahisha. I'm vegetarian for these days and I'm liking it! Praying for all on here to be happy, healthy, peaceful and having calm and wisdom evermore. :) 

@Kangaroorex Enjoy yourself! :) 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Always chilling to experience the turn-around-and-find-them-waiting.

4D9F684A-AD81-431B-BBF7-4D24DAD4FA2B.thumb.jpeg.4800c7578633378def0f15ab6e295a5c.jpeg

At least that's more of a, "what's he doing now?" expression than, "Wait until he falls down and we can eat him" expression.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Keianna said:

This! I usually don't react to flu shots, but this one made for a pretty miserable day after. Just felt off and sore all over. Temp was higher than normal, but not fever high. It helped make this a very long week. 

I've never actually gotten one before. I usually forget or worry about shortages and rather someone who needs one gets one.

But, yeah, I just want to lay down all the time. Thankfully, I got it on my Friday so I have the weekend to recover.

• Like 9