Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

52 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:
2 hours ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

I rarely am a vegetarian, but with Indian food it's much easier. 

After over two millennia of vegetarian tradition, they were bound to find a ton of good recipes.

It helps that their cuisine is rich with a wide variety of flavorful herbs and spices.

Indeed. The real problem with eating vegetarian is those people/places that think it means nothing but salad or the like. I'm also generally wary of vegetarian meats, and vegan cheese. Most of them are terrible.

I need to find a bigger base for the hag I'm working on, and then a matching base for the other hag. I'd really prefer them to match each other, especially since they're different sculpts of the same character.

COFFEE!!

Wait... sorry, no, BREAST MILK FOR THE BABY!

• Like 8
  • Haha 3
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

If it sounds like a jet engine gargling rocks you can pretty much bet its an electric grinder firing up.  I have a reasonably nice one (Baratza Encore) and when we used it regularly I'd wrap it up in a winter hoodie to keep the noise down.  Nothing quite like the morning ritual of hugging a coffee grinder at 5:30 and hoping it doesn't wake up the upstairs neighbour's dog. 

Grinder doesn't get used anymore because said dog always woke up. I have two hand grinders for a reason, and not just because I can make coffee two different ways more readily... Hand grinder is fairly quiet. 

...But at 5:30am, soon to be 5am...  I have a Keurig for a reason... And it just isn't because of staff discounts. It's insanely handy. Does it make coffee as rich, aromatic, and tasty as my Clever or AeroPress? Nope. But even a "still three quarters asleep" fox can operate a Keurig.   A Clever has way too many easy ways of injuring yourself that early in the day, doubly so when you are NOT a morning person! (no seriously, 5am is a good time to contemplate going to bed, or tuck in with a nice book, then sleep two hours later.  If I let my schedule wander during vacation, my body will literally make a push for getting me back onto night shift hours in two days.) 

I want to know how Grump, doing the exact same things, with the exact same AeroPress can make make a so much better cup of coffee than I can. Other than the way he adds things. He adds a dash of things that make each cup unique, but my adding a dash of those same things just doesn't do it. I swear, he can add black pepper, and it makes the coffee taste better. Black. Pepper. <_<

2 hours ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

I rarely am a vegetarian, but with Indian food it's much easier. 

THIS. ∆

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I try - but not being from Appalachia, I don't know how close I come.

Huh... game paused as we eat pizza, but the PCs have finally made it into the lower area of the smugglers den....

Surprise is off the table the kobolds saw to that last week.

The ogre that was set to handle Gorder and Phalz suffered from a bad case of Crappydice, and dropped in the first round.

Upstairs, Julie's rogue is dealing with Dunn - another ogre... and resident jerk. (She just figured out that he isn't one of the bad guys, he just doesn't like cops.) That sad moment when you realize you have been outsmarted by an ogre. (In her defense - this is an ogre that did not choose Int as a dump stat, and has Bluff and Sense Motive as class skills.)

Most of the smugglers aren't attacking - they are just running away, since the PCs never did get around to having folks watching the caves below the inn.

Spells are low, so it is likely that most of the smugglers are getting away - but they did capture the ringleaders, so it isn't a complete loss.

The Auld Grump

I've heard you using Dunn's voice in the Afterschool Special Game.

I KNOW we will be seeing him again. ::P:  And yes a complete "jerk" (real choice of words begins with A and ends with E).

I think Julie would have done better with him if she hadn't tried to be subtle, and just told him what she wanted to know and why. He's not evil just a "donkey cave".

But, she's a rat.

• Like 5

Brutus hasn't eaten all day.

He drank a little water and that's it.

Sleeps a lot.

When we went to walk, he was alert when he saw other dogs.

Walked slowly.

He did do his business which didn't look off.

I will call the Vet tomorrow morning ( 19:25 hours now)

I worry since he also drinks so little.

• Sad 21

What I should have done last night: Cleaned and gotten ready for my Rifts one-shot game before Halloween.

What I did: wrote an in-depth, three page, panel by panel review of the first volume of Gigant. Because I'm thinking about starting a blog about reviewing (mostly older) anime and manga.

Someone stop me, please. You can use my golf club. Just make it quick. :zombie:

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
10 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

OTOH. I have never been unhappy with someone willing to do my housework so I may be jaded...

Clearly you've never had my sister clean something up (either sister, actually). It always ends up with everything rearranged according to how she wants it, never with something put back to its rightful place. She was here at Christmas, and somehow behind our backs managed to completely rearrange the pantry. Everyone was going "WTF, when did that happen, and why can't I find anything?"

34 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I worry since he also drinks so little.

So sorry to hear about Brutus. You might try giving him some water with a turkey baster or large pipet. Have had to do that before with one of our dogs in the past to make sure she didn't get dehydrated.

@SparrowMarie hang in there on your cat! I hope all will be ok.

Day is going ok thus far. Dad is more mobile and perky since the knee-scooter I ordered arrived yesterday, no more crutches. I put it together for him, showed him how to use it, even offered to paint flames or lightning on it (the offer was declined). Swelling in his leg still isn't down because he won't keep it elevated; have caught him numerous times with it off the cushions and below his heart. Not sure what they'll do if it isn't down enough for his next appointment, which is Tuesday morning.

The gloomy day isn't doing anything to keep Molly's energy down. She still has four more days of minimum activity, hoping the vet will let her go back to normal after we send him a pic of her incision for evaluation. And then Dixie goes in this Friday, so a whole new round of worrying and medicines will begin again.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 9
On 10/17/2020 at 4:57 AM, CaptainPete said:

I got my flu shot yesterday morning before bed and, man, I am very off kilter now. I don't feel sick as much as I just feel... Off. Like, something isn't quite right but I can't put my finger on it.

Did your joints ache?

In my case the side FX lasted about 9 hours. It was like a tiny, weak, 9 hour flu, that kicked in about two hours after the shot.

• Like 9

I tend to get a little sore and grumpy for the hours following my flu shot. Doesn't last into the following day.

I have a small pie pumpkin in the IP... it'll become pumpkin turnovers... if the puff pastry in the freezer is still good.

• Like 8

Give Brutus a hug from me.

We lost Ms. Cat sometime last night. Knew it was coming, she's been old and creaky all year, and, quite frankly, we've been spoiling her a bit, knowing it was coming.

Wasn't ready. So, am sitting here, being a catbed and leaking saltwater on Topaz, who ... is a round ball of asleep and purrs. 

• Sad 28

I mean to update this last night/this morning but was up until 7 am so I decided to sleep instead.

Cat is...okay? They did an exam and found that nothing was abnormal aside from slightly elevated blood pressure. They didn't want to run any tests since it didn't seem immediately life threatening. They strongly advised making a follow up with regular vet on Monday though. Which we will do. Was hoping they'd at least given her some fluids but we'll just do it today as per schedule. I was just hoping to get out of doing it for a day.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

this is why I don't understand how you people with pets can keep doing it. It hurts so much watching them age, and eventually pass on. I don't think I could ever do that again, even though sometimes I do wish I had a furry friend to take companionship and comfort with. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 7

We've always had cats; I can remember very few times when there wasn't at least one in the house.

And .. yah, it hurts to lose them; I've got a bunch of cat-shaped holes in me. But it's worse, not having them. I have good memories of all the cats I've lost, and I wouldn't give that up. 

But it's a good thing Topaz doesn't seem to mind being dripped on, because... well, he's at ground zero, and I admit it, I'm dripping.

• Like 5
  • Sad 7
7 minutes ago, ShadowRaven said:

this is why I don't understand how you people with pets can keep doing it. It hurts so much watching them age, and eventually pass on. I don't think I could ever do that again, even though sometimes I do wish I had a furry friend to take companionship and comfort with. 

It sure as hell ain’t easy. But they’re so sweet and so cute and remembering all the good things... life is bittersweet anyway. Might as well add some more sweet, add some more bitter.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1