Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

10 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

OTOH. I have never been unhappy with someone willing to do my housework so I may be jaded...

Clearly you've never had my sister clean something up (either sister, actually). It always ends up with everything rearranged according to how she wants it, never with something put back to its rightful place. She was here at Christmas, and somehow behind our backs managed to completely rearrange the pantry. Everyone was going "WTF, when did that happen, and why can't I find anything?"

34 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I worry since he also drinks so little.

So sorry to hear about Brutus. You might try giving him some water with a turkey baster or large pipet. Have had to do that before with one of our dogs in the past to make sure she didn't get dehydrated.

@SparrowMarie hang in there on your cat! I hope all will be ok.

Day is going ok thus far. Dad is more mobile and perky since the knee-scooter I ordered arrived yesterday, no more crutches. I put it together for him, showed him how to use it, even offered to paint flames or lightning on it (the offer was declined). Swelling in his leg still isn't down because he won't keep it elevated; have caught him numerous times with it off the cushions and below his heart. Not sure what they'll do if it isn't down enough for his next appointment, which is Tuesday morning.

The gloomy day isn't doing anything to keep Molly's energy down. She still has four more days of minimum activity, hoping the vet will let her go back to normal after we send him a pic of her incision for evaluation. And then Dixie goes in this Friday, so a whole new round of worrying and medicines will begin again.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 9

On 10/17/2020 at 4:57 AM, CaptainPete said:

I got my flu shot yesterday morning before bed and, man, I am very off kilter now. I don't feel sick as much as I just feel... Off. Like, something isn't quite right but I can't put my finger on it.

Did your joints ache?

In my case the side FX lasted about 9 hours. It was like a tiny, weak, 9 hour flu, that kicked in about two hours after the shot.

• Like 9

I tend to get a little sore and grumpy for the hours following my flu shot. Doesn't last into the following day.

I have a small pie pumpkin in the IP... it'll become pumpkin turnovers... if the puff pastry in the freezer is still good.

• Like 8

Give Brutus a hug from me.

We lost Ms. Cat sometime last night. Knew it was coming, she's been old and creaky all year, and, quite frankly, we've been spoiling her a bit, knowing it was coming.

Wasn't ready. So, am sitting here, being a catbed and leaking saltwater on Topaz, who ... is a round ball of asleep and purrs. 

• Sad 28

I mean to update this last night/this morning but was up until 7 am so I decided to sleep instead.

Cat is...okay? They did an exam and found that nothing was abnormal aside from slightly elevated blood pressure. They didn't want to run any tests since it didn't seem immediately life threatening. They strongly advised making a follow up with regular vet on Monday though. Which we will do. Was hoping they'd at least given her some fluids but we'll just do it today as per schedule. I was just hoping to get out of doing it for a day.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

this is why I don't understand how you people with pets can keep doing it. It hurts so much watching them age, and eventually pass on. I don't think I could ever do that again, even though sometimes I do wish I had a furry friend to take companionship and comfort with. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 7

We've always had cats; I can remember very few times when there wasn't at least one in the house.

And .. yah, it hurts to lose them; I've got a bunch of cat-shaped holes in me. But it's worse, not having them. I have good memories of all the cats I've lost, and I wouldn't give that up. 

But it's a good thing Topaz doesn't seem to mind being dripped on, because... well, he's at ground zero, and I admit it, I'm dripping.

• Like 5
  • Sad 7

7 minutes ago, ShadowRaven said:

this is why I don't understand how you people with pets can keep doing it. It hurts so much watching them age, and eventually pass on. I don't think I could ever do that again, even though sometimes I do wish I had a furry friend to take companionship and comfort with. 

It sure as hell ain’t easy. But they’re so sweet and so cute and remembering all the good things... life is bittersweet anyway. Might as well add some more sweet, add some more bitter.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ShadowRaven said:

It's one of the hardest things, and while it rips your heart out when your time together ends, you try to focus on all the good memories (which there are hopefully many, many to recall). I cry my eyes out every time; when I lost my chocolate lab Abby, who had been with us since she was a puppy, I had a sense of foreboding that something bad was going to happen to me, and sure enough, within a month I suffered inguinal hernias trying to take care of her sister, Carly, who eventually passed too.

You think you'll never get over it. For us, we always seem to chance upon another that needs a good home. I remind myself that having a furry companion keeps my heart open, and that's what all my previous fur-babies would want for me. I think they make me a better person, otherwise I'd be bitter and jaded. It's a bit like Doctor Who; the companions help retain your humanity, love and compassion.

But yeah, it's heartbreak x 1000000. I like dogs more than I like most humans. They should be given longer lives. For the people who give homes and love to older dogs or provide hospice to them, those people are true heroes, because it would rip me to shreds seeing them go with potentially just a few memories.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Why. Is there not enough *redacted* going on right now that I don't have to add .. what, rat pee? Not water, for damn sure .. to the list of stuff we're dealing with?

And, of course, there's no such thing as pest control right now - we've been trying to get hold of someone to sort this out for.. oh, months?

BRB, purchasing snap-traps. Big snap-traps.

• Sad 15

1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

Give Brutus a hug from me.

We lost Ms. Cat sometime last night. Knew it was coming, she's been old and creaky all year, and, quite frankly, we've been spoiling her a bit, knowing it was coming.

Wasn't ready. So, am sitting here, being a catbed and leaking saltwater on Topaz, who ... is a round ball of asleep and purrs. 

My sympathies.

It hurts we're never really ready are we?

1 hour ago, ShadowRaven said:

In the end the good memories and good times are worth it.

The pain is immense and right now I'm scared as one can be, afraid to lose Brutus.

But we have had 7,5 years of goodness together and I wouldn't have wanted to miss those.

I hope it will be something innocent and that he'll be with me for a few years more.

He has had us scared a few times in a row now, I have a bad feeling this time, hope I'm wrong.

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I want to know how Grump, doing the exact same things, with the exact same AeroPress can make make a so much better cup of coffee than I can. Other than the way he adds things. He adds a dash of things that make each cup unique, but my adding a dash of those same things just doesn't do it. I swear, he can add black pepper, and it makes the coffee taste better. Black. Pepper. <_<

I can tell you some - heat the cup - pour boiling water in, slosh it around, empty it out; then put the pepper/cardamon/allspice/etc. in the cup; then press the hot coffee over it, so the coffee is piping hot when it goes over the spice.

For the spices, less is more - you want a hint of the taste, not make it the main taste.

You can also do this by scalding the spice with hot milk, and letting it cool to room temperature before adding to the coffee - best for cardamon.

The Auld Grump

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

It sure as hell ain’t easy. But they’re so sweet and so cute and remembering all the good things... life is bittersweet anyway. Might as well add some more sweet, add some more bitter.

Megan tells me that it is easier if you get a younger pet before the old one is too old to be family with it.

Khatt and Thomathy are not young cats, but Sammy is a young dog, so we will have a furry friend to share our grief when the time comes. (Years from now - they aren't young, but their not old, either.)

I also remember how worried I was for Crazy Crow, that first winter - before I knew he had other people on his Forage Helper list. (I did wonder why he kept getting BIGGER during the winter. I wasn't the only one worried about him....) He's not a pet, but he's also not... not a pet.

The Auld Grump

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

It's one of the hardest things, and while it rips your heart out when your time together ends, you try to focus on all the good memories (which there are hopefully many, many to recall). I cry my eyes out every time; when I lost my chocolate lab Abby, who had been with us since she was a puppy, I had a sense of foreboding that something bad was going to happen to me, and sure enough, within a month I suffered inguinal hernias trying to take care of her sister, Carly, who eventually passed too.

You think you'll never get over it. For us, we always seem to chance upon another that needs a good home. I remind myself that having a furry companion keeps my heart open, and that's what all my previous fur-babies would want for me. I think they make me a better person, otherwise I'd be bitter and jaded. It's a bit like Doctor Who; the companions help retain your humanity, love and compassion.

But yeah, it's heartbreak x 1000000. I like dogs more than I like most humans. They should be given longer lives. For the people who give homes and love to older dogs or provide hospice to them, those people are true heroes, because it would rip me to shreds seeing them go with potentially just a few memories.

Yeah, exactly this.

And I say that looking at my 14.5 year old Lucy, who is slowly dying of cancer, knowing the end is very near. Honestly at this point it's a matter of how quickly I can come to grips with needing to make the call to schedule it with the vet. :down:

• Sad 23