Jump to content

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum


Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, ShadowRaven said:

this is why I don't understand how you people with pets can keep doing it. It hurts so much watching them age, and eventually pass on. I don't think I could ever do that again, even though sometimes I do wish I had a furry friend to take companionship and comfort with. 

 

It's one of the hardest things, and while it rips your heart out when your time together ends, you try to focus on all the good memories (which there are hopefully many, many to recall). I cry my eyes out every time; when I lost my chocolate lab Abby, who had been with us since she was a puppy, I had a sense of foreboding that something bad was going to happen to me, and sure enough, within a month I suffered inguinal hernias trying to take care of her sister, Carly, who eventually passed too.

 

You think you'll never get over it. For us, we always seem to chance upon another that needs a good home. I remind myself that having a furry companion keeps my heart open, and that's what all my previous fur-babies would want for me. I think they make me a better person, otherwise I'd be bitter and jaded. It's a bit like Doctor Who; the companions help retain your humanity, love and compassion.

 

But yeah, it's heartbreak x 1000000. I like dogs more than I like most humans. They should be given longer lives. For the people who give homes and love to older dogs or provide hospice to them, those people are true heroes, because it would rip me to shreds seeing them go with potentially just a few memories.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why. Is there not enough *redacted* going on right now that I don't have to add .. what, rat pee? Not water, for damn sure .. to the list of stuff we're dealing with?

 

And, of course, there's no such thing as pest control right now - we've been trying to get hold of someone to sort this out for.. oh, months?

BRB, purchasing snap-traps. Big snap-traps.

  • Sad 15
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

Give Brutus a hug from me.

 

We lost Ms. Cat sometime last night. Knew it was coming, she's been old and creaky all year, and, quite frankly, we've been spoiling her a bit, knowing it was coming.

Wasn't ready. So, am sitting here, being a catbed and leaking saltwater on Topaz, who ... is a round ball of asleep and purrs. 

 

 

My sympathies.

It hurts we're never really ready are we?

1 hour ago, ShadowRaven said:

this is why I don't understand how you people with pets can keep doing it. It hurts so much watching them age, and eventually pass on. I don't think I could ever do that again, even though sometimes I do wish I had a furry friend to take companionship and comfort with. 

 

In the end the good memories and good times are worth it.

The pain is immense and right now I'm scared as one can be, afraid to lose Brutus.

But we have had 7,5 years of goodness together and I wouldn't have wanted to miss those.

I hope it will be something innocent and that he'll be with me for a few years more.

He has had us scared a few times in a row now, I have a bad feeling this time, hope I'm wrong.

  • Like 9
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I want to know how Grump, doing the exact same things, with the exact same AeroPress can make make a so much better cup of coffee than I can. Other than the way he adds things. He adds a dash of things that make each cup unique, but my adding a dash of those same things just doesn't do it. I swear, he can add black pepper, and it makes the coffee taste better. Black. Pepper. <_<

 

 

 

 

I can tell you some - heat the cup - pour boiling water in, slosh it around, empty it out; then put the pepper/cardamon/allspice/etc. in the cup; then press the hot coffee over it, so the coffee is piping hot when it goes over the spice.

 

For the spices, less is more - you want a hint of the taste, not make it the main taste.

 

You can also do this by scalding the spice with hot milk, and letting it cool to room temperature before adding to the coffee - best for cardamon.

 

The Auld Grump

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

It sure as hell ain’t easy. But they’re so sweet and so cute and remembering all the good things... life is bittersweet anyway. Might as well add some more sweet, add some more bitter.

Megan tells me that it is easier if you get a younger pet before the old one is too old to be family with it.

 

Khatt and Thomathy are not young cats, but Sammy is a young dog, so we will have a furry friend to share our grief when the time comes. (Years from now - they aren't young, but their not old, either.)

 

I also remember how worried I was for Crazy Crow, that first winter - before I knew he had other people on his Forage Helper list. (I did wonder why he kept getting BIGGER during the winter. I wasn't the only one worried about him....) He's not a pet, but he's also not... not a pet.

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

 

It's one of the hardest things, and while it rips your heart out when your time together ends, you try to focus on all the good memories (which there are hopefully many, many to recall). I cry my eyes out every time; when I lost my chocolate lab Abby, who had been with us since she was a puppy, I had a sense of foreboding that something bad was going to happen to me, and sure enough, within a month I suffered inguinal hernias trying to take care of her sister, Carly, who eventually passed too.

 

You think you'll never get over it. For us, we always seem to chance upon another that needs a good home. I remind myself that having a furry companion keeps my heart open, and that's what all my previous fur-babies would want for me. I think they make me a better person, otherwise I'd be bitter and jaded. It's a bit like Doctor Who; the companions help retain your humanity, love and compassion.

 

But yeah, it's heartbreak x 1000000. I like dogs more than I like most humans. They should be given longer lives. For the people who give homes and love to older dogs or provide hospice to them, those people are true heroes, because it would rip me to shreds seeing them go with potentially just a few memories.

Yeah, exactly this.

 

And I say that looking at my 14.5 year old Lucy, who is slowly dying of cancer, knowing the end is very near. Honestly at this point it's a matter of how quickly I can come to grips with needing to make the call to schedule it with the vet. :down:

  • Sad 23
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ShadowRaven said:

this is why I don't understand how you people with pets can keep doing it. It hurts so much watching them age, and eventually pass on. I don't think I could ever do that again, even though sometimes I do wish I had a furry friend to take companionship and comfort with. 

 

I've always had 1d4 feline overlords with the occasional dog as well and I wouldn't trade the memories of them for anything in the world. Some have only stayed with us for a little while before they passed on and some have lived to venerable old ages, but every single one was a little bright shining soul that enriched my life immeasurably. From Marquis who could stop my migraines by leaning against my head and purring like a V8 engine, to Bandit who was the best sleeping shoulder kitteh ever (record was 9 hours!), to Mr Mo who guarded my painting desk from the other cats to our current bunch of miscreants, I'm glad I got to share my time with all of them. Heck, one of them was responsible for keeping me going during the worst part of my life when all I wanted to do was give up, so I can probably add life saving to their skill list. 

 

That said, absolutely nothing is forever and I'll happily take what time I have with my pets because the love that they give you is worth everything.

Even if they wake you up at 5.30am on your days off, looking at you Diva :ph34r:

 

 

@Sylverthorne I am so sorry about Ms Cat, please take at least a little comfort in knowing that you gave her an awesome life. 

 

@SparrowMarie Sorry that I missed your inital post about your kittehs condition. Cats with kidney problems are prone to UTIs, but specialist foods can help, is there way you can try that with your little one?

 

@Glitterwolf, hope Brutus feels better soon!

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a set of books that written by Cynthia Rylant:

petheaven.thumb.jpg.fcb7aeb6477bd28fb973263cdb8d63ec.jpg

 

I have never read or received Cat Heaven, but I received Dog Heaven mysteriously in the mail a few days after Abby passed away. It had no information on the sender, and no one I asked admitted to sending it. But it helped deal with the loss of Abby, and we send a copy to friends who are dealing with loss. I can only imagine the other book might provide similar help for feline companions.

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I want to know how Grump, doing the exact same things, with the exact same AeroPress can make make a so much better cup of coffee than I can. Other than the way he adds things. He adds a dash of things that make each cup unique, but my adding a dash of those same things just doesn't do it. I swear, he can add black pepper, and it makes the coffee taste better. Black. Pepper. <_<

 

It's amazing what changing just a bit in how you brew can bring out something so very much so different. 

 

I keep meaning to use my AeroPress but I'm still waiting on the knee to fully recover before I put it through the regular rotational motions grinding coffee would put in it. 

  • Like 7
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

 Sorry that I missed your inital post about your kittehs condition. Cats with kidney problems are prone to UTIs, but specialist foods can help, is there way you can try that with your little one?

 

She's already on a prescription diet. Hoping if it's anything and she wasn't just being...a cat, it's something simple to treat.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, just got back and caught up on the last 4 pages. @ManvsMini tell the grinder person to grind their coffee the night before. Sorry to hear of beloved pets' leaving and causing worries. I thought my Battletech KS was arriving Friday, but when we got home, it turned out to be some smaller parts that I had ordered from the Ender6 KS. We got more stuff moved and installed at the new house.

I told Lady C that I had decided on being cremated once I die. She told me I have an appointment next Tuesday...

  • Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I like dogs more than I like most humans. They should be given longer lives.

I am sure you meant the dogs . . .

 

 

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have a bad feeling this time, hope I'm wrong.

Hoping with you. I like Brutus.

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...