Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

10 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I haven't been around a lot lately. I'm having a rough time this year with my mom and dad's birthday. My dad passed almost 7 and 1/2 years ago now. They share the same birthday but were a year apart. I'm really not doing good. Hoping that next month will be a distraction up until Thanksgiving or what ever the eff is going on with that.

Sorry to hear that, it can be rough to remember those that went before.  My father died 8 years ago and my mother 10 years ago and I still miss them both

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I didn’t have much ambition yesterday after returning from Colorado.  I got one hobby thing done; I have been letting a roll of magnet sheet relax for a could of weeks, so I cut out the magnetic liners for 3 6-liter Really Useful Boxes, fixed them in place with double-sided carpet tape, and then transferred the 1/72 fantasy bases out of the 4-liter boxes they had been in.  Each box can hold about 33 60mm by 40mm bases, so there is now some room for expansion.  The 6-liter boxes also nest with the 12-liter box I’ve been using for travel terrain, so they can be neatly strapped together for transport.

7E167903-351B-4DE7-A683-685BC72F0C39.thumb.jpeg.01e25f89a03986001c3e8d8d315b983f.jpeg

• Like 13

I didn't realize how sturdy FDM buildings are for gaming.

Played Mordheim last night, and the city was atacked by what were obviously daemon possessed Chaos Kittehs, Thomathy chasing Khatt across the table.

But no damage to the ruined buildings, even the one that bounced off the table. ::):

Thomathy has been cranky lately. He always is when the heat turns on.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

I didn’t have much ambition yesterday after returning from Colorado.  I got one hobby thing done; I have been letting a roll of magnet sheet relax for a could of weeks, so I cut out the magnetic liners for 3 6-liter Really Useful Boxes, fixed them in place with double-sided carpet tape, and then transferred the 1/72 fantasy bases out of the 4-liter boxes they had been in.  Each box can hold about 33 60mm by 40mm bases, so there is now some room for expansion.  The 6-liter boxes also nest with the 12-liter box I’ve been using for travel terrain, so they can be neatly strapped together for transport.

7E167903-351B-4DE7-A683-685BC72F0C39.thumb.jpeg.01e25f89a03986001c3e8d8d315b983f.jpeg

That's interesting, Duncan Rhodes just put out a tutorial video using exactly this.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

That's interesting, Duncan Rhodes just put out a tutorial video using exactly this.

Huh.  Who is Duncan Rhodes?  Not that the ideas aren't obvious, but I've been lining my boxes with magnet sheets for years (as does @Chris Palmer).  I went from cardboard to Really Useful Boxes starting sometime in the early Oughts, I think. The only new trick is the carpet tape; actually gluing them with any sort of glue was a chancy and laborious process.

(Later) I went and had a look.  Obviously, I concur with his techniques, except that I have had a lot of miniatures based on steel washers, so I used magnet sheets and steel figure bases, and he's going the other way, with flexi-steel sheets in the boxes and the magnets on the figures.

My wife asked why I did it that way; apart from the legacy steel bases, I always figures it would be easier to redo the boxes than to redo the figures if the magnets weakened over time.  Practically speaking, even my older cases haven't lost their pull, so it's probably six of one and a half dozen of the other...

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 12

13 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

Huh.  Who is Duncan Rhodes?  Not that the ideas aren't obvious, but I've been lining my boxes with magnet sheets for years (as does @Chris Palmer).  I went from cardboard to Really Useful Boxes starting sometime in the early Oughts, I think. The only new trick is the carpet tape; actually gluing them with any sort of glue was a chancy and laborious process.

Yeah, the idea of the tape caught my eye because some plastics are just beyond my gluing skills.

• Like 7

Huh.  Who is Duncan Rhodes?  

formerly GW's learn to paint demo guy. currently independent youtube paint guy.

• Like 7

(Later) I went and had a look.  Obviously, I concur with his techniques, except that I have had a lot of miniatures based on steel washers, so I used magnet sheets and steel figure bases, and he's going the other way, with flexi-steel sheets in the boxes and the magnets on the figures.

My wife asked why I did it that way; apart from the legacy steel bases, I always figures it would be easier to redo the boxes than to redo the figures if the magnets weakened over time.  Practically speaking, even my older cases haven't lost their pull, so it's probably six of one and a half dozen of the other...

Duncan Rhodes was a person that did painting tutorials for years for Games Workshop's Warhammer TV on Youtube, sometimes revered as Saint Duncan of the Two Thin Coats. He taught many people how to thin their paints for  smoother layers and his mild-mannered videos were very popular. He is by all accounts a very kindly man, and one of my friends who was taking training as a GW manager had met him and confirmed that he is exactly the same in real life. Last year Duncan finally left Games Workshop to start his own painting academy, and has been doing very well. He makes a lot of painting and hobby videos, here is the one that I had mentioned. https://youtu.be/eKg8oPF4xfk

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

@ManvsMini glad you've gotten Dixie home, hopefully you can keep control of your charges, both human and canine!

It's going to be a struggle, that's for sure. Got about four hours of sleep in total last night. Dixie is doing ok, but where her lymph node was removed isn't covered by her bandage and it's looking very dark red. Told the animal hospital that today when they called to check on her, was told to send them a picture, but haven't heard back yet. She's eating, drinking water and going potty, so that's good. And she takes her meds like they're candy. The bad part is keeping her still; every time something plastic crinkles, she thinks someone has food and has to go investigate. Years of allowing bad habits are working against her.

Dad is... well, he's Dad. His biggest concern was watching sports yesterday. I have to get him into the shower today (there's a nice seat where he can sit and I'll tape a trashbag around the cast). The tear in his rotator cuff is really bothering him despite the cortisone shot they gave him.

Houseguest finally left, though I'm sure I'll be hunting for a month for things they rearranged. Little things really just begin to nag you when they stay that long... how they load a dishwasher (bowls never go completely upside down on the bottom rack!), that they throw plastic recycling into the regular trash, and having to buy everything organic. It'll be more work for me, the help was needed and mostly appreciated, but my sanity is thankful it's over.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

It's going to be a struggle, that's for sure. Got about four hours of sleep in total last night. Dixie is doing ok, but where her lymph node was removed isn't covered by her bandage and it's looking very dark red. Told the animal hospital that today when they called to check on her, was told to send them a picture, but haven't heard back yet. She's eating, drinking water and going potty, so that's good. And she takes her meds like they're candy. The bad part is keeping her still; every time something plastic crinkles, she thinks someone has food and has to go investigate. Years of allowing bad habits are working against her.

Dad is... well, he's Dad. His biggest concern was watching sports yesterday. I have to get him into the shower today (there's a nice seat where he can sit and I'll tape a trashbag around the cast). The tear in his rotator cuff is really bothering him despite the cortisone shot they gave him.

Houseguest finally left, though I'm sure I'll be hunting for a month for things they rearranged. Little things really just begin to nag you when they stay that long... how they load a dishwasher (bowls never go completely upside down on the bottom rack!), that they throw plastic recycling into the regular trash, and having to buy everything organic. It'll be more work for me, the help was needed and mostly appreciated, but my sanity is thankful it's over.

Do you have some bandage of your own? Can you maybe apply it yourself, don't use pressure, but just to cover the part?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Played Mordheim last night, and the city was atacked by what were obviously daemon possessed Chaos Kittehs, Thomathy chasing Khatt across the table.

I have fond memories of the time I sat a small cat on the table during a boss fight once, lol... Even worse, I had managed to teach the kitten a trick - whenever I tapped one of the plastic prepaints, he'd also tap it and knock it over. ::D:

My players were openly discussing how to hide my corpse, hehehe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

@ManvsMini i feel ya!  My Dad lived with us for a 18 months after it became obvious he wasn't caring for himself after mom died.  It was a nightmare (its been 5 years an my brother still feels guilty about not helping more, even though he has no reason too).  I hope your experience is better (he really didn't do well when Mom died and it made him really surly).

Wishing Dixie and your dad a swift and easy recovery.

Now I need to bake some brownies and make a chaos Lasagna. (Okay, its baked ziti but its the same ingredient list, just different noodles...)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Do you have some bandage of your own? Can you maybe apply it yourself, don't use pressure, but just to cover the part?

I don't, and I'm not sure I should given that it is also swelling (expected from losing the lymph node). I'm comfortable performing minor things on my dogs, but after surgeries I don't mess around. She is supposed to have the bandage changed (either at the hospital or the vet) each week, so it'll get changed either Thursday or Friday, and her stitches will be evaluated to make sure they haven't popped.

EDIT: plus, given that it's in her armpit, I don't think the bandage would stay, since it moves so much when she walks.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 8