Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

28 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

They aren't birds, but I'm left wondering: does this mean I'm becoming a Disney princess? As if 2020 wasn't weird enough...

Any time you feed animals on a regular basis, it doesn't take them long to figure out "you = food" and begin expecting to get fed when they see you. They're a lot like human kids that way, lol. ::D:

I think I may have met some of Grump's friend Crazy Crow's relatives last month... I stopped at a McDonald's for some food and in the parking lot, instead of the usual seagulls or small birds, there was a huge flock of mixed black birds. I've never seen that before... :huh:

There were a handful of ravens, several dozen crows, and a scattering of smaller blackbirds. And they were all part of the same flock apparently, since they were all sitting in the same tree, and all taking off and landing in unison in response to food being thrown or cars driving by.

It was bizarre.

Even more so since after I ran out of french fires to feed them, they kept hopping right up to my car and then jumping back, like that's how you get the food machine to dispense more, lol. One of the crows actually hopped up onto the door of my car and sat there in the open window inspecting the interior to make sure I wasn't holding out on him, lol. Then he looked at me, looked over at the building, looked at me again, rinse and repeat several times, as though trying to tell me to go get more food...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2
  • Haha 15

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

I was rearranging and cleaning out the garage a bit today. While I was outdoors, I kept hearing this rustling sound behind me. I thought it was just a breeze moving some leaves around. After a few minutes I turned around to get something and I found the source of the noise: six deer loosely gathered on the back hill, all within 15 feet of me, the closest about 7 feet away, and all of them staring at me. I slowly backed away into the garage, got a bucket of corn that we keep for them, and slowly walked towards and through them to the trough where we leave the corn. Only a couple scattered away from me, but they all went for the corn trough. I think I counted 7 total deer.

They aren't birds, but I'm left wondering: does this mean I'm becoming a Disney princess? As if 2020 wasn't weird enough...

Well if mice make you a dress later...........:lol:

• Haha 16

6 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Gods I'm tired... and the child is restless.

SLEEP!!

One of the books our friends gave us at Brigid's baby shower was Go the broccoli to Sleep.

The Auld Grump

42 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Any time you feed animals on a regular basis, it doesn't take them long to figure out "you = food" and begin expecting to get fed when they see you. They're a lot like human kids that way, lol. ::D:

I think I may have met some of Grump's friend Crazy Crow's relatives last month... I stopped at a McDonald's for some food and in the parking lot, instead of the usual seagulls or small birds, there was a huge flock of mixed black birds. I've never seen that before... :huh:

There were a handful of ravens, several dozen crows, and a scattering of smaller blackbirds. And they were all part of the same flock apparently, since they were all sitting in the same tree, and all taking off and landing in unison in response to food being thrown or cars driving by.

It was bizarre.

Even more so since after I ran out of french fires to feed them, they kept hopping right up to my car and then jumping back, like that's how you get the food machine to dispense more, lol. One of the crows actually hopped up onto the door of my car and sat there in the open window inspecting the interior to make sure I wasn't holding out on him, lol. Then he looked at me, looked over at the building, looked at me again, rinse and repeat several times, as though trying to tell me to go get more food...

They are also quite good at figuring out which people are likely to feed them.

In Crazy Crow's flock last year there was a grey-not-corvid that was with them.

The flock would stop, to let their slower flying friend catch up, rest for a bit, then repeat.

Crows are social - and a given crow might be in several flocks.

Heck, I think Megan and I are both in Crazy Crow's flock - at least in Crazy Crow's mind - good foragers, even if we can't fly worth a dang.

One thing I also learned - I am not alone! Crows just do this, every now and again.

In the kids game (now in their tweens, mostly) they have finally arrived at what they are told is a haunted ruin.... Took them longer than expected - they are not going to finish this in time for Halloween.

On the other hand - what they did was gather information from and about the town - so I really can't say that they were dragging their feet - they were investigating.

And, yes, the place really is haunted - and so is the treasure,

The Auld Grump

• Like 10

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Honestly, I’d watch that movie over their live action remakes any day.

Now we just have to find a villain suitable to be your nemesis. But since we’re messing with the genre, have to keep that going.

Hmm...

Evil natural child who was turned into a three legged rabbit when a spell backfired, with the kind step-child (hit with a rebound, so they’re a skunk) desperate to save you. 

Practically writes itself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Gods I'm tired... and the child is restless.

SLEEP!!

Welcome to your new normal.  I never mapped a day in my life prior to children,   now I can catnap  standing up!

• Like 11

I had a miserable day yesterday.

Still not feeling all too happy, need a little time.

Hope you all have a better day.

• Like 4
  • Sad 8

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

*hugs

It would be nice if the hamsterling would be a little more cooperative with our schedules. I mean, there's 2 of us dealing with one small infant.

He's kicking our butts.

:lol::zombie:

At least Mrs Hamster is good at napping.

Wet day here today. Can't believe it's only Thursday. Have a ton of work to do in the next 2 days, and next week.

Really just going to have to accept that I'm going to be up at 445-5am every morning. Maybe I can use some of that time to paint?  This morning I've already watched 2 episodes of Supernatural so... Between moments of fussyness I suppose there can be some useful time.

COFFEE

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Aw, that's rubbish, wish I could help ::(: hope you start to feel better soon.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Sorry to hear that @Glitterwolf  you are always so upbeat, you shouldn't have to be beat down.  I do hope today goes better for you and you feel better soon!  If there is anything any of us can do, just say the word!

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

*hugs

It would be nice if the hamsterling would be a little more cooperative with our schedules. I mean, there's 2 of us dealing with one small infant.

He's kicking our butts.

I was going to make a sports joke here, but then I discovered that, with the amount of knowledge I have about most sports, the only joke would be me trying to give sports advice :blink:

Just wait until the first time he sleeps through the night... he will but you won't; you'll be checking on him every 30 minutes after the two hour mark trying to figure out what's wrong!

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

:lol::zombie:

At least Mrs Hamster is good at napping.

Wet day here today. Can't believe it's only Thursday. Have a ton of work to do in the next 2 days, and next week.

Really just going to have to accept that I'm going to be up at 445-5am every morning. Maybe I can use some of that time to paint?  This morning I've already watched 2 episodes of Supernatural so... Between moments of fussyness I suppose there can be some useful time.

COFFEE

Pretty wet here too, and I have to go out and get labs done today; oh Joy! 

I did a wooden ship in the times around my first son's fussiness... I probably have a small kit I can send you...  nothing like bending wood into pretzels to get your mind off of a screaming baby (my children were both blessed with 'a good set of lungs' to quote their pediatrician :wacko:

I do hope that he calms down and falls into a peaceful routine, allowing you and the missus to get some sleep... together ::D:.  Just remember, it really is all worth it in the end! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2020 at 9:55 AM, Glitterwolf said:

For tonight I will cook a Mash Pot with Kale, Bacon, Potatoes and Rookworst ( Dutch Traditional Dish).

In this picture...no bacon, my version has cubes of bacon in it as well.

And we eat mustard on the side for the sausage.

image.png.31dab746c0b863149cb3166c26b85e65.png

Made precisely this dish for my Uncle last night. Well the sausage was Polish instead of Dutch.   Along with my mother and the rest of the family they emigrated from The Netherlands in the 50s.   He was well pleased.

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

@Glitterwolf

Snip

I was going to make a sports joke here, but then I discovered that, with the amount of knowledge I have about most sports, the only joke would be me trying to give sports advice :blink:

Ha!!

53 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I do hope that he calms down and falls into a peaceful routine, allowing you and the missus to get some sleep... together ::D:.  Just remember, it really is all worth it in the end! 

Sleeping... Together??

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Sleeping... Together??

No, that's exactly what got you into your current situation!

• Like 1
  • Haha 13