Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

45 minutes ago, Crowley said:

In other news, @7Ninjasinatrenchcoat has tested positive for Covid. His fever has broken, and is on the mend. He asked me to share the news.

I hadn't seen that, thanks for the update.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Yeah, I'm doing okay. Very tired, but okay. The Hamsterling is wonderful, but also exhausting. And Lucy is my oldest corgi, 14.5 years old, and she's rapidly deteriorating now. The brain cancer has reached the end stage. She's having trouble standing, she's losing her appetite, it's heartbreaking. And I know I need to make the call to the vet, but have no idea how to do it, how I'll be able to do it. Even thinking about it has me choking up.

In other news, @7Ninjasinatrenchcoat has tested positive for Covid. His fever has broken, and is on the mend. He asked me to share the news.

Coffee!!

Please give Bryan my regards.

Every pet owner knows this.

It will come and it will be devastating.

In the end you need to give your sweet friend her painless release, you gave her a wonderful life and lots of love.

It's the last thing we do for our little friends.

It will hurt us, it will makes us feel terrible, but we need to do it.

The moment that it's inevitable and she's in pain and can't live like a dog anymore, then it's time.

Comfort her when it's time, you know you need to and you will find the courage.

And yes, your heart will break.

I have always been with my dogs in their last moment.

Comforting them, and being there for them when the Vet gives the injections.

It's heartbreaking, but it comforts me to know that they will go painless.

The first injection calms them down and puts them to sleep, the second one stops the heart.

They'll go peacefully.

My former Boxer, Odin, he passed away from the sleeping agent, even before the Vet gave him the final injection he had already stopped breathing.

The one before that Balthar, he fell asleep, second injection, two times he breathed, then it stopped.

It's painful for us but for them it's release, they had given up ( the Big C. got them, different kinds, but both lethal).

No matter how bad I feel about it, I will stay with them till the end.

That way I know I did everything I could for them, from the start till the end.

I understand to not wanting to do it, to not make the call.

Keeping her with you as long as possible, keep an eye out for the signals.

When things get too painful for her, you'll know it will be time.

It's the burden we all have to bear.

We choose our companions, knowing well that we will outlive them.

They will always be in our hearts, and the memories will live on.

And in time, new friends will be at our side, repeating the circle.

Stay strong buddy, a lot of us know how this feels.

We understand.

Maybe talk to the vet first about it.

Maybe even ask if the vet is willing to do it at your place, so she will go in her own environment.

Hard choice, sooner or later it comes.

I wish you strength and know that we'll be here for you when you need to vent/rant or just need a virtual hug.

Good luck !

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 7

Yah, our last pet was Molly, a guinea pig. She stayed with us for almost 10 years. She wasn't feeling well so I took her to the vet to see what they could do & when I handed her over, she just said "Well, I've had a great life, time for me to go!" & she started to pass as he tried to save her. She was too far gone to do anything. The vet apologized but I knew it wasn't his fault, she was just old. She was well loved by everyone in the family. Heck even my son was sad & at the time, he didn't show too much emotion for things, especially things like this.

She is buried under a lilac bush in the back yard. It was probably a blessing in disguise when the neighbor decided to up & try & get rid of Thumper "to someone who wanted her", earlier this year. It's been nice having a fluffy critter in the house so far.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

In better news,

Nephew fixed the laptop, let's see how long it will last.

I left three large bars of Tony Chocoloni on his desk when I left.

• Like 15

On 11/19/2020 at 9:48 PM, Mad Jack said:

Ooookay.

In the category of things I wasn't expecting to see today... 

Floor Jansen, lead singer of the Finnish metal band Nightwish, covering her young daughter's favorite song...

Let It Go, from Frozen

::D:::D:::D:

Btw this lead me to another video where they show that song being sung in 25 different languages (mashed all together, a couple lines from each Disney translation), which was enough to spark curiosity and lead me down the rabbit hole of listening to the song in 7 different languages (so far). Thus far, my favorite has been in Romanian.

Look what you caused, you monster...

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

I'm having one of those moments. You know the ones. Where you're just staring at something, trying to understand it. I ordered a Daft Punk live album (Alive from 2007) and my computer says the genre is "Disco" and I just have so many questions... I don't know what to think or feel. I mean, I have legit disco music (don't you dare judge me) and Daft Punk is not that. Translation error? Someone having fun with things online? Cosmic joke? I just don't know.

That's because the 'people' who put these labels on music have absolutely no clue what they're actually doing - so anything electronic and/or bright outfits gets classed as disco, even if it has completely nothing to do with disco.

Hell, I've seen someone class Nightwish as Black Metal...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ratsmitglied said:

That's because the 'people' who put these labels on music have absolutely no clue what they're actually doing - so anything electronic and/or bright outfits gets classed as disco, even if it has completely nothing to do with disco.

Hell, I've seen someone class Nightwish as Black Metal...

Usually anything electronic gets dubbed "techno", despite that being a very, VERY specific genre of music >.>  House music?  Techno.  Breaks? Techno that's freaking out. Drum n Bass? Fast Techno.  Gabber/Hardstyle?  Broken/noisy techno.  Like... C'mon.  Silly people.

As for Daft Punk being labelled "disco", some of their newer stuff is reputed to be heavily inspired by the disco era, so that may be where it comes from.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Be safe!

Thanks! Had to go into work today but I'm off for the next few days, which is good because I seriously need a break away from people. We ended up at IKEA yesterday( only 8 hours before lockdown!) because Loki has commandeered my hobby trolley and it's easier to just buy a new one than to find all my basing materials mysteriously on the floor when it's time to paint. 

I'm just hoping that his brother does steal this one, as IKEA is closed for at least three weeks at this point . I'm sure it'll be okay, because when on earth had a cat ever been contrary? <_<

8 hours ago, Crowley said:

Yeah, I'm doing okay. Very tired, but okay. The Hamsterling is wonderful, but also exhausting. And Lucy is my oldest corgi, 14.5 years old, and she's rapidly deteriorating now. The brain cancer has reached the end stage. She's having trouble standing, she's losing her appetite, it's heartbreaking. And I know I need to make the call to the vet, but have no idea how to do it, how I'll be able to do it. Even thinking about it has me choking up.

Coffee!!

I am so, so sorry that you're having to deal with this ::(: Please give Lucy a gentle hug from us. 

Try to  remember that you gave her the best life that a wee corgi could have and I'm sure that you'll make the right decision when the time comes. It's always tough, but that's what our beloved friends deserve.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 11/20/2020 at 2:22 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Just finished watching the latest episode of The Mandolorian. All I can say is......

Hide contents

........space macaroons.

After watching Chapter Twelve, there were a lot of things I expected to see in that spoiler.

But I didn't expect that...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Feel so sorry for my Instacart shopper today - half the items I've ordered, he's had to contact me with alternatives, despite having set replacement options (both wind up being out of stock).  On the epic plus side though, he caught a mistake I keyed in, so I'm insanely thankful for that, as I would have been very VERY surprised to get bone-in skinless chicken breasts when I only ever buy boneless skinless chicken breasts as they work really well for stews, shake and bake, and of course, pulled chicken.

Some days I wish I could provide more than one alternate item in there, so they don't have to go "I see you want shredded Monterey Jack+Cheddar cheese (with a backup of shredded Marble), but the two options you've picked aren't in stock.  They do have cheddar cheese, is this okay?"  Sure, there's the "pick the best alternative" option, but I'm not subjecting a shopper to my taste preferences or household allergies, they have much bigger things to deal with than that.

• Like 8

As a "public service" I'm posting a warning about the new menu at Cracker Barrel specifically the new Ham Steak Dinner.  It's a full slice of bone in ham, almost an inch thick, and it takes up all of one of their dinner plates all by itself.  Ended up taking most of it home so I will be eating ham sandwiches from now till Thanksgiving. :lol:

@CrowleyI know you have a difficult decision to make in the not to distant future.  Just knw that most of us have walked this road with our furry family members and that we stand there with you.  If it helps, think of Lucy as going on an advenure that you can't share yet, but that Lucy [and all of our furry family] will be there to welcome you when the time comes.

GEM

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@Crowley *sends lots of hugs for Lucy*

@Chaoswolf Thanks for the adorable floof! :wub: I'll file it away with my other "adorable cat pictures for when things are kind of manky."

I'm doing better since Wednesday; life moves on and such. Work is getting better too. A week and a half ago, I was rather abruptly transitioned into a new set of responsibilities at work, given that I was the only one on my team that not only took good notes during the training for data entry into a specific program (the disease reporting system for all of Washington state), I set out to learn everything I could about it. So now I'm suddenly the main person in charge of doing that thing (the curse of competence?).

It's really felt like being handed a life ring and dumped into the ocean, but I've finally figured out how to swim, so to speak. The full-time staff have all been very patient with my frequent questions as I've been wrapping my head around the whole project and all the little quirks and intricacies involved, and it's gone from an overwhelming challenge to an enjoyable one. I've also been granted (they sorta requested, actually) to pull a bit of overtime to try and catch up with the many inches of papers that need to be entered, but I enjoy the work and extra money is cool too. What's also nice is that my Awesome Supervisor and I are totally on the same page, and he actually gave me a limit on how many hours I could work extra, since as he put it "You seem to be like me, in that you like to work, and I'm going to do what I wish someone had done for me and make sure you take care of yourself." Yeah, he totally gets me. :lol: When I'm handed a job, I want to do it well, and I want it done RIGHT, and I always hate the 'getting up to speed' part of learning a new process, since it means I'm going to be slow and clumsy while paperwork piles up. So having the opportunity to work more and catch up is actually LESS stressful  for me than thinking about how behind I'm getting. I'm weird like that, lol.

I don't recall if I mentioned it, but as part of the change, I also got my own office!! It's essentially a glorified cubicle (permanently built walls rather than flimsy ones), but having my own space is soooooo nice. The best part is I don't have to wear my mask for 9 hours straight, and I get to listen to my own music! :bday: Even though I'm still a temp worker, I'm feeling like these are all good signs that they like me enough to find a way to keep me as an actual employee. Fingers crossed!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 5