Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

7 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

As someone who does not wear pointy hats, apparently I am neither a wizard nor a princess. :down:

Waaaaaaaaaaiiiiiit a minute @TheAuldGrump, I'm a wild mage! We're the iconoclasts of the arcane world, heck with headwear! Coiffure be free!!!!! Wheeeeeeee!!!!!!! *shoots off into the sky like a firecracker, explodes in the distance*

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Somebody is going to have a lot of 'splainin to do for many of the younger viewers.

As for your Fantasy Setting for Miss Brigid, I sense some Frank Baum influence in the basic setting.

Sounds good to me.

GEM

Baum is in fact one of the inspirations - as is J.R.R. Tolkien and A.A.Milne. (As an aside - I once met a neighbor of Frank Baum.)

Another, more recent, author and influence is John Moore - author of such books as The Unhandsome Prince and Bad Prince Charlie. For a while his books were out of print, even in e-book form, so he had them up on his website - but recently they have disappeared from there, and popped up on Kobo and Kindle. ::): (I am glad to see them come back into print.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Baum is in fact one of the inspirations - as is J.R.R. Tolkien and A.A.Milne. (As an aside - I once met a neighbor of Frank Baum.)

Another, more recent, author and influence is John Moore - author of such books as The Unhandsome Prince and Bad Prince Charlie. For a while his books were out of print, even in e-book form, so he had them up on his website - but recently they have disappeared from there, and popped up on Kobo and Kindle. ::): (I am glad to see them come back into print.)

The Auld Grump

I'm going to have to look up Moore, as this is somebody I'm not familiar with.

As soon as you started describing the locale and the topography, the "Baum Bell" started to chime.

GEM

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump

Have you considered getting some inspiration from Tanith Lee's Prince on a White Horse as well?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Have you considered getting some inspiration from Tanith Lee's Prince on a White Horse as well?

I heartily endorse anything written by Tanith Lee... though some things might not be suitable for younger readers :lol:

11 hours ago, Wyvernfire said:

On the subject of lightning bolts 

https://nerdist.com/article/africa-toto-played-by-tesla-coils/

and now I’m wondering about spells required to replicate something like that and magic users who work doing lighting and stage effects for bards.

I hope Tesla is proud of the nerds who turned his invention into a musical instrument :wub:

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, redambrosia said:

I heartily endorse anything written by Tanith Lee... though some things might not be suitable for younger readers :lol:

Whnen I was younger I found a copy of Dark Castle, White Horse at my home (I think it had belonged to my sister, even though I've never seen her have any inclination toward fantasy novels. There were two stories in it, and Prince on a White Horse was very whimsical. The other story  The Castle of Dark, however, was exactly that. It had a very foreboding and oppressive theme, with a glimmer of hope. It was really one of the first fantasy novels that I ever read, and it shaped my reading habits afterwards.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Whnen I was younger I found a copy of Dark Castle, White Horse at my home (I think it had belonged to my sister, even though I've never seen her have any inclination toward fantasy novels. There were two stories in it, and Prince on a White Horse was very whimsical. The other story  The Castle of Dark, however, was exactly that. It had a very foreboding and oppressive theme, with a glimmer of hope. It was really one of the first fantasy novels that I ever read, and it shaped my reading habits afterwards.

That’s a good start. My first fantasy novel was Patricia C. Wrede’s Dealing With Dragons. I didn’t discover Tanith Lee until I was older and reading a compilation of *cough* saucy stories :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I have a lot of Tanith Lee's books.

Love most of them.

Also LEIBER - Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser!

How does one deal with brainweasels that cause you to think everything is going downhill while in fact everything is actually fine?

I feel like doom and gloom at the moment and I haven't a real reason for it, except the World Events and that I find some stuff at work boring at the moment.

• Like 8
  • Sad 6

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I'm going to have to look up Moore, as this is somebody I'm not familiar with.

As soon as you started describing the locale and the topography, the "Baum Bell" started to chime.

GEM

Short, light and fluffy. ::P: Lots of fun, but not deep.

I enjoyed them.

I liked Bad Prince Charlie best, I think.

Poor Charlie was so BAD at being Bad.

Also, I can't believe he skipped The Princess In Black! Brring! Brring! Goes the monster phone!

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 6

Oldest daughter completed the filming for her virtual graduation today.  Yay?  They provided all graduates with face masks with the school logo and the year (they didn't wear masks for the actual filming).  Daughter said it was the most apt symbol of her year.

Youngest made a hexaflexagon that counts down the days left of school.  (She's been watching a lot of Vihart videos.) Also a pretty apt representation of her spring.  

I'm a little terrified of dealing with school in the fall.  

• Like 13
  • Sad 2