Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Well, that's disappointing. Everything I'd put in wishlist on Amazon to look at for today has actually gone up in price instead of down, one of them by $20 (almost a 50% increase). Oh well, guess I'll save my rewards points for another time.

• Sad 9

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Hmmm, tried to order from Noble Knight for the first time.  Think I killed their web site.......:blink:

Their site is actually slow today. Pretty sure it's due to BF traffic.

• Like 7

Due to my conversion of WFPG to GURPS, I made a purchase of 2 PDFs from DrivethurRPG. I spent about as much for 2 as 1 cost, so it was a good deal. I usually boycott BF, too much horsestuff. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Well, that's disappointing. Everything I'd put in wishlist on Amazon to look at for today has actually gone up in price instead of down, one of them by $20 (almost a 50% increase). Oh well, guess I'll save my rewards points for another time.

This is why I'm a fan of browser extensions like Honey (which I disable when not in need, just in case of data gathering/privacy breaches) or websites like camelcamelcamel that look at price histories, and can even send you notifications when your target price is available.

Like your own experience, prices can fluctuate in highly irregular manners at the wrong moment.

• Like 8

On the plus side of things happening this week:

Had a Zoom job interview yesterday. Got positive feedback today, and they want to meet me next week! :winkthumbs:

It's a 5 hour drive, so I'll spend the night there first.

• Like 20

Hmmm, haven't gotten some of the usual emails at work, they did do another round of (supposedly temporary) layoffs back on Tuesday, but I was included on various distribution emails as late as Wednesday Thursday/yesterday.  No phone calls, texts, or emails letting me know of any changes, and the regional manager rescheduled the business review meeting for me on Monday morning, probably because I wasn't there and I was on vacation, and all of my logins still work, so...  Why do I have this uneasy feeling about Monday?

Kind of wish they'd just had called me, or y'know, been there at that WebEx meeting that they sent me an invite to ::P::devil:  Probably because I'd prefer to know now, I suspect.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I watched Grump convince a bus driver that her dad, who has lung cancer and can't leave the house, really wants a 3D filament printer for Christmas. ::o:

The way he did it was art.

She pretty much sold herself on it, and it really does sound like it is something her father will really enjoy.

Her father does model railroading and SciFi models. Both are things that the printer will absolutely mesh with.

But, wow, I'm so used to Grump being straight forward that watching him approach from the oblique is weird. At no point did he try to convince her, he just led her in convincing herself, and if it didn't sound like she is absolutely right that he will like the printer, I would be giving Grump what's for.

Instead, she explained what her dad likes, and Grump pulled out examples, so she is also buying her dad a space ship model from the MMF BF sale.

She was half hooked when he showed off what he has been working on.

• Like 14

8 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I would say go for it. Given GW's habit of price increases, it isn't going to get any cheaper over time, and if discontinued that will increase the price as well, so if you can spare the cash, having it on hand is better than not. Also given the uncertainty that has been the hallmark of this year thus far, gathering what one can when one can is a good idea, because you never know when lockdowns or other factors will inhibit the postal system. 

If the time should come when you decide that you aren't going to paint it, then reselling it is an option, it's not like it has an expiration date. So if you have the free money and space now, then going for it means that this way you'll have options instead of looking back and wishing that you had got it while the getting was good.

I am inclined to agree with this.

3 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

On the plus side of things happening this week:

Had a Zoom job interview yesterday. Got positive feedback today, and they want to meet me next week! :winkthumbs:

It's a 5 hour drive, so I'll spend the night there first.

That's great!! Good luck with the face to face meeting!

• Like 7

On 11/26/2020 at 2:06 AM, ManvsMini said:

The camera always adds 10 lbs, this is known.

I actually think those scales look really good. Granted, not sure if that's what you were going for, but I do like them. As for the 4 hours, just blame Loki, we'll never know if he did or didn't steal your brushes during that time.

I think that dragon needs a few more cameras pointed at him, he's a scrawny wee thing!  

Thanks for the encouragement, my struggles with nmm are long and various but I think I'm getting better at it. Regarding Loki, he did a stellar job of distracting me including -

Gently tapping the led bulbs with his paws.

Hopping up onto my shoulder and purring like a V8 engine.

Curving his paw round the water jar because he likes seeing how it makes it look different. 

Sitting on the desk, intently watching me paint from 6 inches away

And of course stealing the occasional brush from the jar of battered brushes( he knows that the good brushes are a no-no)

So yeah, a total distraction, but I wouldn't be without him :wub:

On 11/26/2020 at 4:38 AM, Cranky Dog said:

My mother also visited that distillery several years ago and brought both me and my brother that exact 12 yo bottle!

It was a nice experience for her to be able to sample the variety at the source and get to know the subtle differences between the various processes.

I think it's a rite of passage for Scottish children to have to endure multiple distillery tours as our fathers drag us around the country. We even did the Dunvagen one and that was only half an hour away :lol:

On 11/26/2020 at 6:34 AM, TGP said:

Real. Human. Bones. :ph34r:

I wish I was kidding; they were real proud of them. $300 of pride (which is apparently quantifiable).

:ik_oops:

:zombie:::o::wacko:

Spoiler

Well maybe if you had a limb amputated and you wanted some 'really' special dice......

On 11/26/2020 at 7:02 AM, Kangaroorex said:

I appreciate that.  Its been a long fight (seriously WWII was over sooner) but I continue to strive and occasionally claw back a little ground.  I do hope one day a more permanent solution presents itself but until then, ill keep fighting the good fight like a lot of others.  Everybody's help is welcome, especially if it makes someone feel better!

I've been to that distillery too.  Its pretty country and Dufftown is a great little town.  Got to stay at a little B&B off the main square.  This was about 8 years ago though, dont know how much has changed.

I don't think Dufftown has changed in the last century to be honest ::P:

On 11/26/2020 at 7:28 PM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Geez, is shipping from GSW to North America really 30-60 days?.......
Guess I'll look for other sources.

We've been averaging 25 days, when it normally(pre-covid) takes about 7. I made an order today and to be honest, I'll be happy if I see it before Christmas. I may have gone a little bit overboard, as the upcoming political landscape shenanigans may affect how often I order from the continent in the future :unsure:

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

We had an Indian Thanksgiving Feast! 

Tiki Marsala,

Koruma   

Tandori Chicken

Fried Momo (dumplings) 

Naan Bread 

something with Spinach and Cheese (which I love but cant name) 

pumpkin and Chess ('Jes ? ) Pie  -  these were the only thing I cooked, the rest was takeout.

getting the Indians switched again appeals to my sense of Whimsy. 

---

So on a different note I need some enablement advice. 

I brought in some money on a side gig,  and have a higher than normal hobby budget. 

I have been eying the Lord Of Change (GW)  from the first time I saw it.  It is a 9" tall  winged demon of horrible beauty. 

Insert existing attachmentLoC.thumb.jpg.44f85822fbf6d43845f9c74df87aae53.jpg

But I have a fair number of large wonderful minis that I already avoid painting.   

I haven't painted anything this year larger than about 80mm.  I like having them painted but not the process. 

If I am going to spend over 100$ on one mini shouldn't it be a H***  YES!    

Perhaps it is just a phase, and the ambition to paint big will return, then I would have this guy waiting for me.. 

Advice? 

My advice? Buy it, and paint it. Don't wait. Don't hesitate. Get it, clean it up, and paint it. You'll regret not doing it, and if you sit on it till you feel up to it, you'll never do it. Just do it.

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

I think that dragon needs a few more cameras pointed at him, he's a scrawny wee thing!  

Thanks for the encouragement, my struggles with nmm are long and various but I think I'm getting better at it. Regarding Loki, he did a stellar job of distracting me including -

Gently tapping the led bulbs with his paws.

Hopping up onto my shoulder and purring like a V8 engine.

Curving his paw round the water jar because he likes seeing how it makes it look different. 

Sitting on the desk, intently watching me paint from 6 inches away

And of course stealing the occasional brush from the jar of battered brushes( he knows that the good brushes are a no-no)

So yeah, a total distraction, but I wouldn't be without him 

Can Loki train my cat for me? I'd be happy if he'd do any of those things because you can still be productive. Mine wants to try to lick or try to cover up my wet palette, and bat any brush lying on the table onto the floor. So I can't do anything around him.

48 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

I think it's a rite of passage for Scottish children to have to endure multiple distillery tours as our fathers drag us around the country. We even did the Dunvagen one and that was only half an hour away :lol:

Is the other rite of passage having to drag/carry your fathers back home to their beds after sampling the wares of such fine distilleries?

• Haha 10

25 minutes ago, Crowley said:

My advice? Buy it, and paint it. Don't wait. Don't hesitate. Get it, clean it up, and paint it. You'll regret not doing it, and if you sit on it till you feel up to it, you'll never do it. Just do it.

Totally agree with this, but with one little caveat-that particular minis going to be part of one of the imminent big GW Christmas bundles, so you might get a better deal. Check out the Warhammer Community site for more details. I'd link but, yknow, rules.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 7

31 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Is the other rite of passage having to drag/carry your fathers back home to their beds after sampling the wares of such fine distilleries?

That's usually our mothers jobs :lol:

31 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Can Loki train my cat for me? I'd be happy if he'd do any of those things because you can still be productive. Mine wants to try to lick or try to cover up my wet palette, and bat any brush lying on the table onto the floor. So I can't do anything around him.

I'd love to outsource his skills, but he can't even train his own brother! Kurogane( the one who wears all the cute little outfits) is a destructive little midden*. He'll actively punt entire jars of brushes off the table, knock over the water and he even once partially ate the paper and sponge from my wet palette. He's also the one that smashed my GW Arachnarok giant spider of doom because he has a massive dose of species memory that will not be denied :rolleyes: 

He's going to LOVE some of the Bones 5 minis <_<

*Scottish word of the day -"midden",  an affectionate insult for a troublesome friend, child or pet. As in "Och, look what that wee midden's done this time!"

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5