Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

8 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Hmmmmm, the kobolds have the makings of becoming civil servants.

Some of them, others will move out into the city, and take jobs that fit their abilities - a surprising number end up working for newspapers - both as sellers and as reporters.

The Underfather has few kobolds working for him - despite being a powerful guildmaster, kobolds view dwarfs as low status leaders, compared to demons, rakshasa, dragons, beholders.... None work for mindflayers - being disposable minions is one thing, being snack food is another.

Goblins started going through a similar process before the last Demon War - but gravitated to more mercantile professions. Oddly, it is the dwarfs that get along best with them. Goblin society does not care about who you work for, it's about getting enough food to raise a family.

As for ogres... in a few years time there will be more civilized ogres than barbaric ones - the city is growing, and ogres are valued - in particular the Black Caps: cabbies. The cops are rapidly becoming a good place for ogres as well. (Still looking forward to Dunn making his reappearance.)

City orcs... already outnumber their barbaric cousins - even as second class citizens they have higher survival, and, well... the dwarfs are good employers. (In a few game years the orcs start organizing professional rugby teams - think Bloodbowl without the Blood. Violence, mayhem, and hot dogs.) The only race that breeds faster are the humans.

The Auld Grump

17 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

There is a cat perched on the back of my chair. She is loving the back of my head. This makes typing rather difficult.

( I had to fix quite a few typos in this simple statement. )

I am familiar with this problem, though Khatt is more of a keyboard kitty. (Hey, Grump, your hands... why ain't they petting me?)

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The cats have already gotten their Christmas present - a scrubby little Christmas tree that was labeled 'Free' - so they got their tree before we did. (For those that have glass ornaments - getting your cats a horrible scrubby tree is a great investment in protecting the fragile ornaments. Plus, adorable.)

The Auld Grump

This I would like to see ::D:

• Like 4

I hope you are all well and staying as safe as possible. I'm back in the Office full time now. I can't seem to find the energy to do much after I get home from work, so I've been slacking on hobby related activities. Also having a bit of hard time getting into the holiday vibes this year. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

While yesterday was a sad day for M.E.O.W., today is a happy day for W.O.O.F.

Today is Molly's birthday! She's three years old, and is being spoiled rotten. She's had two good romps in the snow, a special breakfast (a little larger portion, really), and has gotten pets and rubs to burn all the calories from tail wagging. Later today she'll get her traditional birthday cookie (a chocolate chip cookie made before the chocolate went into the dough), and Dixie will also get one to celebrate with her. She even got a birthday wish from the breeder we got her from (who I keep in touch with at least once a year to give updates). There may even be some apple slices in her future...

My body is aching from all the snow shoveling the past two days. Glad we didn't get any more of it last night.

Happy Birthday Molly!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I want a 3d printer and have neither the fund nor any business getting one.  I've always been better with found objects than digital anyway.

Um.

I have a banjolin.  I wanted a little more volume than my mandolin (which keeps staring at me like I've cheated on it.  Huh.  I just realised it's a She.  Sigh.) but all the actual banjolins I've seen for sale have the doubled string courses like an actual mandolin which would volate weapons treaties if I tried to ever play it in public.  So...I was looking at a Gold Tone soprano-scale banjo ukulelelele which has the same scale length as a mandolin but only four strings, asked on the Gold Tone site if it could handle metal mandolin strings tuned like a violin, and the president of the company wrote back and said they'd do the setup for free if I ordered from them. 

Easy sale.  Shout out to Gold Tone, but without any commerce links.

So, I have a 4-string  banjo style mandolin now, via ukulele,  and I played it in public last night without any (known) casualties.  Yay.

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, Loim said:

I hope you are all well and staying as safe as possible. I'm back in the Office full time now. I can't seem to find the energy to do much after I get home from work, so I've been slacking on hobby related activities. Also having a bit of hard time getting into the holiday vibes this year. 

It takes time to adjust again I think.

Take care.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

I want a 3d printer and have neither the fund nor any business getting one.  I've always been better with found objects than digital anyway.

Um.

I have a banjolin.  I wanted a little more volume than my mandolin (which keeps staring at me like I've cheated on it.  Huh.  I just realised it's a She.  Sigh.) but all the actual banjolins I've seen for sale have the doubled string courses like an actual mandolin which would volate weapons treaties if I tried to ever play it in public.  So...I was looking at a Gold Tone soprano-scale banjo ukulelelele which has the same scale length as a mandolin but only four strings, asked on the Gold Tone site if it could handle metal mandolin strings tuned like a violin, and the president of the company wrote back and said they'd do the setup for free if I ordered from them. 

Easy sale.  Shout out to Gold Tone, but without any commerce links.

So, I have a 4-string  banjo style mandolin now, via ukulele,  and I played it in public last night without any (known) casualties.  Yay.

You look very happy with it.

image.png.caa881247bce12630b2eeae345762fa2.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

On 11/30/2020 at 9:48 PM, Corsair said:

Well the countdown is on. Friday will be the last truck to Arkansas. The place here has boxes all over and we are close to having the last dozen or so boxes finished. Looking forward to getting it all to our new home, but WOW, have we ever accumulated a ton of stuff over the last 17 years here. It will be nice to get to do some mini stuff again once we are settled in.

@WhiteWulfe praying for you and the job. @Crowleyyou guys take care too.

Thanks. It's been... difficult. But doing better. Lots of ups and downs though.

On 12/1/2020 at 3:01 PM, ManvsMini said:

Bit of a heavy heart today, as an agent of M.E.O.W. (codename Hellkitty, a term of affection and non-affection at times) has departed for what lies next. I had to take the terminal cat to the vet today and have the hard thing done. She hadn't been acting like herself for a week, was limping from the growing tumor, barely eating and wasn't able to make it to the litter box in time the past few days. Vet told us three months ago when they found the regrowth back then at that point there was no wrong time to make the decision, and we decided that as long as she was herself and not in pain we'd keep her going.

The cat never liked me, but I cried in the car when they came to tell me she was gone. Mom, who had cared for the cat for almost 13 years, bawled her eyes out as she said goodbye before I took her.

So sorry.

Work has been keeping me insanely busy. With basically 5.5 weeks till I go on a 3 month break, there's so much to get done, wrapped up, and get others trained to cover the duties.. it's just a lot. My boss keeps pushing me to think about process improvement, but I've also got a lot to do, so what time can I spend on process improvement?

*sigh*

On a brighter note, I figured out what I'm gonna try to work on next. Got them all washed up, just need to start cleaning up some mold lines, then it's onto painting. When I'll actually get to do that? Maybe Friday? Probably Saturday.

BEER (finished) and now BED!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1