Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sephy enjoyed herself immensely today, helping everyone unwrap presents, cleaning up wrapping paper, trying to steal everyone’s treats. She was very busy.

Did she make any of her stealth and sleight of hand checks?

1 hour ago, Zink said:
6 hours ago, sumbloke said:

Die Hard was among the Christmas movie selection I went through for several years on Christmas days, the others included Die Hard 2, Lethal Weapon, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Batman Returns, Rocky IV...

Gremlins! I'm seeing people's lists of Christmas movies including Die Hard and Lethal Weapon but nobody adds Gremlins and it's one of my favourites.

Thank you! I've been telling people this for years. I also throw in While You Were Sleeping for those in a romantic comedy/Sandra Bullock mood. I also throw in Shazam! for some Zachary Levi love. I figured with as cold as it is that watching the Game of Thrones "The Long Night" episode was fitting.

Got some new gloves ordered last night, rated for all the way down to -40 degrees F. Hopefully that'll get me through the winter with all my fingers intact.

• Like 10

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And my mom just told me that her furnace went out. Be nice if she had that three grand that got scammed from her back but that's up to the credit union, so it's probably not going to happen...

I'm seriously thinking about setting up a gofundme for her or something.

And as bad as 2020 has been, I'm not prepared for 2021 yet.

• Sad 17

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Nope. So far she accompanies her attempts at theft with squeals, giggles, and her half English, half gibberish language. She also attempts to share that which she does manage to get her mitts on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Nope. So far she accompanies her attempts at theft with squeals, giggles, and her half English, half gibberish language. She also attempts to share that which she does manage to get her mitts on.

Don't need the stealth and sleight of hand if you have a high enough Charisma.

GEM

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

Y'know, I used to wonder a few things, like how scale modellers seemed to generally pay more attention to what was going on, or something. 

And then I realized... There's a reason why. Sure, every part is labelled in almost every kit, and that isn't why... It's because unlike tabletop models, where there's either a small expanded diagram about how things go together (say, like how Games Workshop does it), or you blindly stab away in the dark but it's obvious with experience (like how Corvus Belli does it)... A single "step" in the instructions could very well involve 40 different parts... 

At least the parts aren't as tiny as they were for that 1:48 LAV! (although this kit does have some eerily small parts, and of course, plenty of things that wind up being concealed after full assembly)... 

Why do I have this feeling I'm about to embrace a different type of insanity when that box comes with several of the models having individual track links...? 

On the plus side, this LAV-III is going to look a lot less like spruces in a box soon... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 8

It turns out that there was a gas problem, so my mom's furnace is (probably) okay. She's still going to get it serviced ASAP, just in case.

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Don't need the stealth and sleight of hand if you have a high enough Charisma.

GEM

Charisma 03.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:
12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

So she has: +3 to + 5 Grabby Hands as an innate ability. You need to update that on her character sheet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Y'know, I used to wonder a few things, like how scale modellers seemed to generally pay more attention to what was going on, or something. 

And then I realized... There's a reason why. Sure, every part is labelled in almost every kit, and that isn't why... It's because unlike tabletop models, where there's either a small expanded diagram about how things go together (say, like how Games Workshop does it), or you blindly stab away in the dark but it's obvious with experience (like how Corvus Belli does it)... A single "step" in the instructions could very well involve 40 different parts... 

At least the parts aren't as tiny as they were for that 1:48 LAV! (although this kit does have some eerily small parts, and of course, plenty of things that wind up being concealed after full assembly)... 

Why do I have this feeling I'm about to embrace a different type of insanity when that box comes with several of the models having individual track links...? 

If you start to need pointers on 'colorful' language to use, let me know.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

On 12/25/2020 at 2:06 PM, ManvsMini said:

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Enough snow fell here to make it a white Christmas. Temps are down in the middle teens (Fahrenheit), so it's super chilly. Was out in it for five minutes with two pairs of gloves on, and discovered Santa left me a gift: Raynaud's. Yup, three finger tips bone-white after coming inside. Apparently I was a bad boy this year. Looks like I'll be buying another pair of gloves, probably designed for the Arctic.

Anyone else notice that all your neighbors that ignore you for 364 days of the year suddenly turn up at Christmas bearing gifts? Which leaves you completely unprepared to reciprocate because you know, they've ignored you entirely, so you just hide in the house and stay away from the door and windows? Just me?

I usually keep a small stash of wrapped baked goods and things like gloves and hats ready to give out for those situations!

On 12/26/2020 at 8:50 AM, CaptainPete said:

It seems that 2020 isn't done with me. I put on an old, ratty pair of pants when I got up since I wasn't really planning on going anywhere tonight. I bent down to unplug something and *RIP!* Tore a hole from between my legs to halfway across my butt cheek. I guess it was time to get rid of them, but, still... <_<

And I've been fighting with the new Blogger stuff as well. I have Pages on my gaming blog that were set up ages ago. Now, Blogger automatically double spaces everything and I haven't figured out how to get it to stop. And it will keep things linked between paragraphs, which it didn't do before. If you hit Enter, it would end the link formatting. Not anymore. I was screaming at it earlier, trying to get a single space and then it moved the double space down the page. I don't even know how it did that. When I tried to fix it, it kept moving the double space down the page. I was ready to throw my computer into the bathtub. And dive in after it. :grr:

I'm seriously on the fence about giving up on the gaming blog. I love writing about games but if the formatting is going to keep screwing up, I don't know if it's worth it...

Yeah, not a fan of bloggers new interface. I've been doing most of my writing in the html side to avoid the worst of it.

Merry Christmas, Happy Yule, etc. Hamsterling first was low key. No tree or presents. Just some yummy food (for us), carols, movies, and a long walk in the park.

IMG_20201225_113013.thumb.jpg.e0068d090362afd17c79c4df31ca3b75.jpg

He seemed to enjoy it though.

• Like 21

On 12/26/2020 at 10:06 AM, sumbloke said:

Die Hard was among the Christmas movie selection I went through for several years on Christmas days, the others included Die Hard 2, Lethal Weapon, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Batman Returns, Rocky IV...

The only reason that I rail against it is that I happen to work with someone that makes "Die Hard is a Christmas movie" basically his entire personality during December :huh: If a conversation even touches on the festivities, then he'll try his darnness to shoehorn it in, it's like an obsession.

Personally, I think that if it's a film that you enjoy watching at Christmas then it qualifies. For instance, I use to watch Ghostbusters with my mum and dad when I was but a wee 'neko, so I always try to watch it at this time of year.

21 hours ago, Zink said:

Gremlins! I'm seeing people's lists of Christmas movies including Die Hard and Lethal Weapon but nobody adds Gremlins and it's one of my favourites.

19 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Thank you! I've been telling people this for years.

Totally for got to mention which film we watched on Christmas day. 

It was Gremlins :winkthumbs: imho it's the best festive film that there is.

Although I'm slightly worried that the cats loved it too. Here's hoping that they don't take too much inspiration from it....

• Like 11
  • Haha 2