Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

We are getting our first rain since April. ::):

Started last night late and has been intermittent most of the day.

Listening to the news reports, the I-15 over Cajon Pass is a mess.  People around here can't drive when it first starts raining and they are now getting snow near the summit on both sides.

All the accumulated oil, coolant, tire rubber, and associated crud takes a while to wash out of the roadway and people just don't grasp the need to slow down and ease up on the hard brake applications as you are driving on ball bearings, microscopic ball bearings that leave an oily sheen on the road.

Mountain resorts got more than a foot of snow in the first 24 hours of the storm so all the roads to the resorts are jammed with snow bunnies. yeti's, and people with cabin fever wanting any excuse to get out of the house.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 11
4 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Most likely. I  have a friend who worked for Fed Ex up til he retired mid-January last year, and he said they'd add on probably another 2-5 hours a day per person during this season to keep up, and even then they were usually running over capacity.

I remember those shifts at UPS.  They were... Not enjoyable, to say the least.  Well, Friday morning was enjoyable because it was payday at least...  But yeah, 11-13 hours per day, or written otherwise... Maxing out a Schedule 1 driver's hours in five days.

• Like 7

Well, first print was a failure. The supports were the only things that came out. Pretty sure when I empty the tank I'm gonna find a baked on piece of resin on the bottom.

Edit: yup. There was a melty-man in the bottom of the tank. Just a vaguely humanoid shaped blob.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 7
  • Sad 2
17 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Well, first print was a failure. The supports were the only things that came out. Pretty sure when I empty the tank I'm gonna find a baked on piece of resin on the bottom.

Edit: yup. There was a melty-man in the bottom of the tank. Just a vaguely humanoid shaped blob.

Potential casualty or demonic blob monster?

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Inarah said:

My living room lamps are shutting themselves off and then on again. Anyone know any good exorcising rituals?

Load up Beetlejuice, and play the climactic scene near the end with the volume turned up. The part with Otho reading from the handbook.

Or perhaps you are of the bloodline of the kings of Gondor, and have Anduril, the Flame of the West, lying about? I hear it can harm specters.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 11
2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Potential casualty or demonic blob monster?

Nah. It's nearly flat and just barely humanoid in shape.

I went and read up a bit about this type of failure, and I guess it's pretty common for first-time printers. It's a failure of the supports, which can be caused by a few things, such as the supports being too thin, not having enough cure time for each layer so they're too weak to support the model, having too few supports, etc. In my case I think it was that my supports were too thin, because I was using the light supports and I've read that the slicer's light supports aren't ideal for much actual supporting work.

It may have also been a bit of a blessing in disguise, too, because while I was looking into the failure I had I learned about another that also would have happened. Apparently the auto-support option in the slicer is also garbage because it will regularly leave parts that need support unsupported, leading to misprints/failed prints because those parts are just floating. They aren't attached to the build plate and stick to the screen, so if anything comes on the same x/y axis later on it won't get printed. The only remedy is to learn how to set your own supports.

So that's what I did. Kind of. I watched a video that gave some basic tips on what to look for when figuring out where to place supports, and how to orient a model to facilitate the least intrusive supports. I'm sure I didn't do the best job, and maybe went overboard, but at the same time I'm pretty sure that I didn't miss any parts that needed support and the supports should hopefully be strong enough that the model won't separate from them this time.

It'll be done in about an hour and a half, so I'll find out then. If it didn't work this time, then I won't get another chance to print anything until New Year's Eve.

• Like 9
7 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

OMG! You know how I said that I stand taller with Grump than I did with Phil?

I do! LITERALLY!

I'VE GROWN THREE INCHES TALLER! :lol:

I'm 4'7" now! Not counting shoes!

Two inches taller than both Claire and Gayle! ::D: They used to be an inch taller than me! :bday:

I thought that the reason my old jeans didn't fit was I put on weight, which I did. I just never realized it was because I had a late growth spurt.

Well, you started eating again - the body needs something to build with, you know?

Though I think most of it crept in during and after your pregnancy. (I originally typed 'our pregnancy'... :huh: )

So, the credit is as much Brigid's, as mine.

I had noticed - you could no longer walk under my extended arm, you had to duck, just a little bit. ::):

Looks good on you!

2 hours ago, kitchen_wolf said:

I thought the preferred method for getting rid of a spectre was a tuxedo-clad British agent.

No, threatened lawsuits from screenwriters - it got rid of SPECTRE for more than twenty years!

For the RPG they renamed it TAROT.

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Not to mention the laundry! Ever have to wring out your own jeans when they’re sopping wet? Big no thanks! I like my washing machine, time travel and apocalypses be darned!

Worse - they stored the clothing in the garderobe, AKA the latrine, because the smell would keep bugs from nesting in them. (Or so they hoped.)

I think I used that in one game of Harn, maybe... twenty years ago? Longer?

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 7

I'm 30 minutes from my 2nd attempt being done. I paused it for a second to check on the progress, and it looks less like a failed print and more like a failed overplacement of supports. I can't see the mini in there at all, just a mess of supports with something big and chunky in the middle. Maybe when it's finished printing and I get all the uncured resin off of it it'll look more like a mini, but I'm not too hopeful. I shouldn't have stopped watching the video series after the basic tips, I should have kept going for the rest of them. I've been watching them while it's been printing and I'm just sitting there going "D'oh! That's something I did that you're telling me not to do!" every couple minutes.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4
8 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I'm the handsome fellow in the top picture. ::D:

I'm right behind him!

4 hours ago, Unruly said:

Was this a presupported model?

Even then you do need to check for Islands and add supports where needed.

Did you level the bed?

Did you do the LCD Screen Test?

Are your settings the one that are recommended for the type of resin you use?

How big is this mini and what kind of supports did you use? ( I once had a blob for a big snake where I only used light supports, it couldn't handle it and hence a blob)

Support settings/Exposure settings etc?

You can get advice in the 3D printer thread.

I have an Elegoo Mars and use Elegoo Grey Resin.

I can give you my settings if desired.

• Like 6

Still getting adverts like this -

(Spoilered - bugs)

Lil_Bugz_Four-1.jpg

I can see getting some of these - not as a snack but as props and/or miniatures.

The Auld Grump

35 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'm right behind him!

Was this a presupported model?

Even then you do need to check for Islands and add supports where needed.

Did you level the bed?

Did you do the LCD Screen Test?

Are your settings the one that are recommended for the type of resin you use?

How big is this mini and what kind of supports did you use? ( I once had a blob for a big snake where I only used light supports, it couldn't handle it and hence a blob)

Support settings/Exposure settings etc?

You can get advice in the 3D printer thread.

I have an Elegoo Mars and use Elegoo Grey Resin.

I can give you my settings if desired.

And the ever popular - did you take the protective plastic off of the LCD screen? (The number of videos where the first time user forgot that important step....)

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 8