Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

17 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

origins online is not happening.

And neither is actual Origins in October. I was starting to get worried this would be the case when the scheduled Origins Online preview that was supposed to happen last Friday never occurred. Then this week people on FB were saying that the individual who had been setting everything up and who had run the convention last year had resigned along with a bunch of other people. Then yesterday they cancelled both shows. And now I'm seeing rumors from some long time volunteers for the con that there is a skeleton crew left at GAMA and only three board members. I'm concerned that poor management is going to result in the end of Origins. Which will be quite disappointing. It's our home con, like literally just a few minutes bicycle ride from the house.

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

image.png.a9d1cd1cfd49c9e9ecaab21b85735303.png

Are those Piet Mondrian themed Bonbons on the left? That is awesome!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Thoramel said:

Are those Piet Mondrian themed Bonbons on the left? That is awesome!

They are.

It's a pic I took from the internet.

Chocolates like these ( we call them Bonbons) come in many shapes/sizes and flavours.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

They are.

It's a pic I took from the internet.

Chocolates like these ( we call them Bonbons) come in many shapes/sizes and flavours.

A few years ago my wife and I were thinking of doing a bicycle trip around the Netherlands. But life got in the way and we canceled it. But you're making me want to revisit that idea.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

A few years ago my wife and I were thinking of doing a bicycle trip around the Netherlands. But life got in the way and we canceled it. But you're making me want to revisit that idea.

Well, not wanting to enable you or something but here are some typical Dutch treats.

image.png.cfa9505117aba874aa336192a1f86f27.pngimage.png.6328c6ffabfdfb14c79736e83649baae.pngimage.png.7d185e8bf32460da347e56a1b3ad1505.pngimage.png.644a5604ed1f96d7628e150ad75c3eb9.pngimage.png.620919b8c0d522df485760c0eba24944.pngRoze koeken (per 4 verpakt) - bakkerijkwakman.nl

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Have a good Friday, everyone!

Useless observation of the day:

If 2020 wasn't a leap year, today would be Friday the 13th! ::o::zombie:

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

59 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

And neither is actual Origins in October. I was starting to get worried this would be the case when the scheduled Origins Online preview that was supposed to happen last Friday never occurred. Then this week people on FB were saying that the individual who had been setting everything up and who had run the convention last year had resigned along with a bunch of other people. Then yesterday they cancelled both shows. And now I'm seeing rumors from some long time volunteers for the con that there is a skeleton crew left at GAMA and only three board members. I'm concerned that poor management is going to result in the end of Origins. Which will be quite disappointing. It's our home con, like literally just a few minutes bicycle ride from the house.

I heard something similar

• Like 5

My brother has a taste for Dutch licorice (drop), @Glitterwolf, and has been rationing out a package he received for Christmas.  I also think a bicycle tour of the Netherlands would be a lot of fun.  

It’s a scheduled day off from work, so I am enjoying the break.  My brother was trying out his Prince August molds for the first time last weekend, so I did some casting too, to demonstrate a few techniques.  I ended up painting a little Prince August sorceress this morning, just to get the creativity unstuck a bit.  I haven’t picked up a brush in a couple of weeks.

7B7F3AEE-0A7C-4402-AA4C-434F70DDFD4E.thumb.jpeg.053f70e877562974658922b277e58ed6.jpeg

With the weather predicted to stay nice today, I hope to set up my casting post and turn out a few more things.  My brother is suddenly inspired to try out Oathmark with home cast figures.  At least I have a head start on that...

• Like 15

8 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

You laugh but a standard teacup contains the perfect balance between wanting ice cream and not wanting lactose intolerance issues. It's the maximum ice cream serving I can have safely without destroying any bathrooms.

Honestly I find a teacup to small coffee mug a great size for pretty much any desert.  Satisfying but somewhat portion controlled.  

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

I'm concerned that poor management is going to result in the end of Origins. Which will be quite disappointing. It's our home con, like literally just a few minutes bicycle ride from the house.

I went every year for a long time. It was a nice little game convention, not as crazy big as GenCon, but not your tiny local con, either.  Adulthood being what it is we had to give it up, especially as that long hike from the hotel to the actual convention hall was killing me.  But what happened doesn't surprise me, it's been run on a shoestring and badly managed for decades. It's too large to be run by volunteers,  and not large enough (apparently) to have dedicated paid staff.  

Speaking of ice cream, it's time to make coconut and green tea popsicles.  https://40aprons.com/green-tea-coconut-popsicles/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

RTB Pro Tips! AMA and Giveaways time! started at 11:35 AM.  Anne usually doesn't do giveaways of merch, and this is the first time she's had them.  Ask her questions day.

https://www.twitch.tv/reaperminiatures

ETA: There will be three winners of purple minis and paint.  First one has already been selected.  You must be present to claim it.

Edited by Serenity
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

I went every year for a long time. It was a nice little game convention, not as crazy big as GenCon, but not your tiny local con, either.  Adulthood being what it is we had to give it up, especially as that long hike from the hotel to the actual convention hall was killing me.  But what happened doesn't surprise me, it's been run on a shoestring and badly managed for decades. It's too large to be run by volunteers,  and not large enough (apparently) to have dedicated paid staff.  

Speaking of ice cream, it's time to make coconut and green tea popsicles.  https://40aprons.com/green-tea-coconut-popsicles/

I will preemptively thank you from both my roommate and myself for that recipe. I see many matcha popsicles in our future. 

Also, now I desperately need a teacup sundae party. This will happen. 

Edited by Keianna
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Honestly I find a teacup to small coffee mug a great size for pretty much any desert.  Satisfying but somewhat portion controlled.  

I also agree with this.  So many desserts are so rich they get overwhelming if you have more than a small amount.  There is one restraunt by me that served a chocolate cube. (not there term but that's what it was) it was a piece of cake 4x4x4 inches with 5 layers.  we would order it with friends and 4 of us would share the one dessert and there would still be cake left. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Serenity said:

RTB Pro Tips! AMA and Giveaways time! started at 11:35 AM.  Anne usually doesn't do giveaways of merch, and this is the first time she's had them.  Ask her questions day.

https://www.twitch.tv/reaperminiatures

ETA: There will be three winners of purple minis and paint.  First one has already been selected.  You must be present to claim it.

Just wanted to thank @Serenity for these updates.  I invariably forget the times and dates of the streams (especially in this current work from home environment) and miss them.  I would miss so many more if not for the regular updates here in this thread.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Inarah said:
16 hours ago, Crowley said:

I made up for it by finishing the last 1/4 of a pint of Cherry Garcia and a beer while playing D&D.

I thought those cartons were meant to be single serving.  :)

It's been a while since I ate one in a single serving. I managed to stretch this one out into 4. Trying to avoid gaining my Covid 19 (like Freshman 15, but worse)

• Like 6