Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

WW look at Sam's Club search for UltraHD 72" Adjustable Height Heavy-Duty Wood Top Workbench

This thing is a monster [I use it for reloading ammo] but it is great

Edited by Chaoswolf
removed commercial link
  • Like 6
7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

You could make one of your own? Best desk I ever had was made from a discounted wooden door from Lowe's, and two bookshelves (fairly tall ones, as I am quite tall). When sitting in my chair, the desk came up to the bottom of my diaphram/ribcage. Only cost about $100 to make. And since it had a hole cutout for the doorknob, I had a nice place to run all of my cables through to the power outlet and keep everything tidy. And plenty of leg room.

Another option to consider is a formica/melamine countertop.  Come in various dimensions and the built in backsplash eliminates that pesky stuff falling off the back of the work surface.

My wife had an office desk for several years made from two, two drawer filing cabinets with a countertop laid across the top.  She wants a similar setup when we get moved.

You can adjust the working surface by adding shim material under or on top of the cabinets or whatever you use for the upright sections.

GEM

7 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

I'd strongly agree with @ManvsMini here. As with most things, it'll be a lot cheaper to build a standing desk rather than buy one. If you have access (whether by ownership or borrowing) to the equipment, you can make one pretty easily, but I really like ManvsMini's suggestion of making a desk of amalgamated odds and ends.

If you don't have power tools you can rent whatever you need for a reasonable fee at the Home Despot.

GEM

• Like 8

Spent all afternoon test driving cars to see which one my daughter would like the best. Ford Focus, Hyundai Venue, Kia Forte, Mazda 3, and finally a Mitsubishi Lancer. She'd really like the Venue (brand new and blue), but it is also going to be double what her budget going into this would have been. Right now, the Lancer is the ride of possibility. Going to be at the dealership tomorrow morning to see it in the daylight.

• Like 8

There was pretty bad wind here last night/this morning. A tree went down on the main road onto some powerlines. I was warned that power was going to be cut off for...a while? Then about the range of time it was going to be cut off I got an update that it wouldn't be cut off. So today was pretty boring.

• Like 9
8 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Heh... Actually, I used to drive a minivan for years back when I was doing the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I ran two of them into the ground. ::D:

I used to regularly be driving people and props around three different states, and I called my van my Rocky Bag on Wheels - I could pull out almost half a show's worth of props, costumes and lights on a moment's notice, lol.

Also, it's much better for sleeping in than the back seat of a car when you're on a road trip.

I know they are useful, and out of the guys I know I am probably the most partial to minivans. As I kid I grew up riding in one. But best thing ever? I'd have to go with my Dad's old 72 Blazer. Does all the things you mentioned, looks better, is more fun to drive, has a bigger engine, and is a convertible.

Edit: just noticed I passed 3k posts. Only took me 18 years to do. Now I feel really old.

Edited by Humansquish
  • Like 11
12 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Spent all afternoon test driving cars to see which one my daughter would like the best. Ford Focus, Hyundai Venue, Kia Forte, Mazda 3, and finally a Mitsubishi Lancer. She'd really like the Venue (brand new and blue), but it is also going to be double what her budget going into this would have been. Right now, the Lancer is the ride of possibility. Going to be at the dealership tomorrow morning to see it in the daylight.

We have had 6 Hyundais and all were excellent cars.

• Like 7