Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

12 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:
13 hours ago, aku-chan said:

That moment when you realise you've watched Jurassic Park:- Lost World at least 5 times and you've only just now noticed that they never do explain what happened on that ship.

I'm just impressed you've managed to watch it 5 times...

I know they're all pretty lousy apart from the first one (and even that has issues), but I love them and they get a rewatch every few years.

• Like 11

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/31/2020 at 11:59 PM, haldir said:

There are two types of squirrel in the world.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8jGXMcBT0Cc

13 hours ago, aku-chan said:

That moment when you realise you've watched Jurassic Park:- Lost World at least 5 times and you've only just now noticed that they never do explain what happened on that ship.

If I remember correctly, the original script had the raptors breaking loose on the boat and causing havoc, but at some point in the production they decided to replace them with the T-rex. I have no idea why, raptors are much more interesting( to myself anyways.)

At least it wasn't as bad as Jurassic World:Fallen Kingdoms. We switched that off after one of the main characters survived a pyroclastic flow :huh::blink::rock:

16 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Mine isn't quite that bad....
Well, ok, my US Patreon bill isn't quite that bad.
And my UK Patreon bill isn't quite that bad.....

:poke:

.....and that is why I don't have a 3D printer! 

Kickstarters drain enough of my hobby budget :down:

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

By 2030 we may be using a different hardware architecture than what is current at the retail level.  In 2010 multicore processors were a new thing and it was more common for high end hardware to still have a math co-processor as a seperate chip. 

With the introduction of 5G there is going to be a lot of pressure on hardware developers to introduce even more powerful chips in small enough packages to be useful for mobile applications.  This is going to put pressure on the architecture for desktops to the point where there may be significant changes in the next 5 years to "the way things are done".

Mooe's Law keeps driving things to become smaller/cheaper/faster on about a 30 month doubling/halving cycle.

By 2030 we may be seeing Quantum Computers in everyday business computing and in high end gaming rigs.

GEM

And in 2030, I will be dragged kicking, screaming, and loudly complaining about having to get a new computer. I’m not happy about moving machines. Biggest worry is losing Money 2003. Yeah, that’s a 17 year old software. It’s made the jump to a third box, and I have my doubts it will make a fourth.

I just realized I didn’t include a DVD drive on the build. Not sure I will add one either. 

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

I just realized I didn’t include a DVD drive on the build. Not sure I will add one either. 

I have old backups on physical media, I also like to rip the CDs I buy, so I keep one around. You could just buy a cheap USB one, just in case?

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

By 2030 we may be using a different hardware architecture than what is current at the retail level. 

6 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Which will give Skynet that much more of an edge over us....

I was going to say that he's assuming the machines haven't risen up against us or turned us into thermal batteries by 2030, but you beat me to it.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Game day!!!  Another group gets summoned into West Marches styled hex crawl game.  Let's see if they cause as many problems as the first group did.

I know what that means; I am curious whether most people here do.  If not: http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/

I’m off to a good start today. I made buckwheat pancakes for brunch in response to my wife’s previous request, and I’ve been to the grocery store on a cautious supply run.  I’m taking up a 2021 reading challenge by Gretchen Rubin, and have been working on getting into the habit of reading a book with the first cup of coffee in the morning, rather than news and discussion groups. As a result, I’m nearly done with Victory in the East: A Military History of the First Crusade (John France, Cambridge University Press, 1994) and happily I already have a cache of Zvezda 1/72 scale siege engines and castle models in case of uncontrollable inspiration. ::D:

• Like 10

Details of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

*clawed hand reaches over a fence*

Hello, I am still alive.

2020 marks the abject failure of all of the appliances in my house. Something about that magical 8 years after moving in I guess.

Over the course of a year, a phone, a PC, a fridge, a washer, a dryer, a microwave, a hood fan, a water heater and finally dishwasher and range over Christmas had to be replaced.

Good news is, that's basically everything broken in one year, and I have already paid for it.

I got an airbrush for Christmas and I will be milling away at my dragon army (I might move up to a Vex after I trash this one).

My daughter has been deeply invested in Castle crashers, so that has been keeping me busy.

I've been pushing the limits on what is reasonable for a person to DM. New sessions being added seemingly every week. Doing my part to give everyone something to do.

New workout routine in the mornings.... with Stepmania. Maybe I can get that DEX score above a 7 after all, seems to be going down since working from home.

I hope everyone is well and in good spirits. Happy 2021.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, CaptainPete said:

I have old backups on physical media, I also like to rip the CDs I buy, so I keep one around. You could just buy a cheap USB one, just in case?

A definite possibility. I could also take an older drive from the growing collection of retired PCs. I may still have a 3.5” floppy drive I may install for laughs. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Happy Saturday!

Bacon egg and cheese sandwiches on bagels for breakfast, watched the first disk of Fellowship of the Rings, wrote a blog post, started another, dropped off clothing and old shoes at the farmers market, and of course played with the Hamsterling.

This afternoon after he gets up from the current nap, we're gonna take him and Alicemonster on a walk in the park with our neighbors. Then I think I'll try pulling out all the minis I painted this past year to get a group shot.

COFFEE!!

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

If I remember correctly, the original script had the raptors breaking loose on the boat and causing havoc, but at some point in the production they decided to replace them with the T-rex. I have no idea why, raptors are much more interesting( to myself anyways.)

I figured it was raptors, they do like leaving peoples arms lying around.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Game day!!!  Another group gets summoned into West Marches styled hex crawl game.  Let's see if they cause as many problems as the first group did.

5 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

I know what that means; I am curious whether most people here do.  If not: http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/

Well, I didn't know what it was until someone here graciously informed about it when I was discussing creating an exploration based game.  Wondering is anyone wants any writeups about how my groups do?  Perhaps a campaign thread like what @TheAuldGrump and @PaganMegan do?

Session one went off well.  The group was teleported in from their respective worlds (one from Ebberon, one from Faerun, and one from Generical Fantasy Realm # 23567) and given the run down on how things work and how they are the only people able to pierce a magical barrier erected 500 years ago.  So having no real contacts or job prospects in this world they decide to adventure beyond the Veil and immediate are subjected to an air shark attack and then a Wild Magic Storm.  Said storm pelted them with copper coins.  Do you know what it feels like to have a 55 gallon drum full of pennies flung at you?  They do.  After that the explored the ruin fortress on the other side of the pass, only to discover that it had already been looted by the previous party.  Luckily they decided to hare of in a different direct from those who have go before, and chose to go straight to the location of a tribe of potentially friendly NPCs.  A little parleying later, they have received an info dump, weathered another Wild Magic Storm (who said random tables were actually random; not with my dice) and talked their way into having a safe place to stay on this side of the Veil.

Heading back to the ruins to recover the nearly 400 lbs of copper coins they recovered from the ground, the random encounter table comes up with 3 wild horses.  I figure the horses will just run away as none of them have a background in horse catching and they have no way of chasing them down (as they could bring animals over from the other side).  But no, the Twilight clerical shucks his armor, and manages to stealth within range to cast sleep.  One sleeping horse is soon hobbled and brought back to the village.  And the trip back out was uneventful.  Now to see where the party goes next and how they interact with the other party.

I'm thinking of adding another party or two into the rotation if I can make some time.  Perhaps a bi-weekly online game and one at the FLGS once things open up again.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Pegazus said:

And in 2030, I will be dragged kicking, screaming, and loudly complaining about having to get a new computer. I’m not happy about moving machines. Biggest worry is losing Money 2003. Yeah, that’s a 17 year old software. It’s made the jump to a third box, and I have my doubts it will make a fourth.

Hardware emulators are your friend here.

Once you determine which version of windo$e the program is happiest with you just start the emulator and open the program inside the emulator and work as usual.  May require some tinkering to get all the correct versions of libraries needed by the emulator installed but once you have all the fiddly bits you should be good to go.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

So having no real contacts or job prospects in this world they decide to adventure beyond the Veil and immediate are subjected to an air shark attack and then a Wild Magic Storm. 

You threw a sharknado at them?

• Haha 14