Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Today is the anniversary of a historic event that is the direct lineal ancestor of the Internet we use today.

It is the inauguration of the first Commercial Telegraph Line, between Washington D.C. and Baltimore, Maryland.

Inventor Samuel F.B. Morse  initiated service with the message "What Hath God Wrought?" [Numbers 23:23], sent from D.C. to Baltimore, over the Congressionally Sponsored Line.

GEM

• Like 9

2 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

This was harder than I expected:

Anti-Depressant or Tolkien

17 out of 24, but I was rushing a bit. It was indeed harder than expected, lol. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

I got 19 but it helped that managing depression in Parkinsons patients isn't easy so I've turned bottles of some of those into 40K terrain.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2020 at 11:32 AM, NebulousMissy said:

I wake up to a brand new thread.

I didn't think I'd been away that long, but BAM!  New thread.

On 5/23/2020 at 3:40 PM, NebulousMissy said:

You know, this plague is really hitting those of us with a functional photic sneeze reflex hard.

If I go outside in sunlight I'll sneeze. If I sneeze people think I have the plague.

Thank you for explaining what that is, I always found it irritating as a child.  

19 hours ago, Marvin said:

I hear knitting is a pretty wholesome mechanism tho.

Which was what I was doing this afternoon, taking a knitting class via Zoom.  Despite learning how to knit around age 5, I never learned how to do more than one color at a time.  

Of course I hear some people paint things for therapy.  :poke:

The social thing is an interesting puzzle...   My 17 year old struggles to make small talk and is shy with possible selective mutism.  However, she also desperately needs to spend the time with her friends.  Quarantine has been really hard on her.  Her 12 year old sister is so very outgoing that even with constant texting, zooming, etc, she's still desperate to see her friends.  We've begun preparing to do a lot more outdoor entertaining this summer, since it might be the only type of social activity we'll be able to do.  

• Like 11

4 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

This was harder than I expected:

Anti-Depressant or Tolkien

I managed 20/24, not bad considering.

Friend of mine has acquired a new baby! C-section was today. Born early, will require time in the NICU but is breathing on her own without difficulty.

Someone they knew was pregnant and didn't want it. Friend stepped in and has agreed to acquire and adopt New Baby. To be fair, friend knows what to expect, this is the third baby acquired in such a manner, the others are now 10 and 12 so they're old enough to help out.

Edited by NebulousMissy
words
  • Like 15

I just purchased 1,260 linear inches of shelf space from IKEA and paid an exorbitant amount to have it shipped to me, but the end of my shelving shortage appears at last to be in sight. Meh.

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I just purchased 1,260 linear inches of shelf space from IKEA and paid an exorbitant amount to have it shipped to me, but the end of my shelving shortage appears at last to be in sight. Meh.

Only a temporary illusion my friend.

"Stuff" always expands to overwhelm the available space.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Only a temporary illusion my friend.

"Stuff" always expands to overwhelm the available space.

GEM

Oh, I know. It's been the scourge of my life.

This'll run me a long ways though. 7-shelf bookcases! Going aaaaaaall the way up the wall.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5