Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

3 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

Truly, the best solution to all of life's problems. :devil:

this is why the magic school is a burning hole in the ground

15 minutes ago, TGP said:

I dunno. Maybe this is too soon.

02020_w_2.jpg 2:ik_oops:2:ik_oops:

That ^ thing is a Reaper Mini. Guess what it's catalog number is…just guess: 

so what does it mean that 02021 is a thief/assassin?

• Haha 16
20 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

But have you pushed all the buttons?

Of course... Unfortunately, the elevator itself only has two buttons - one raises and lowers the inside curtain, and the other is the green "go" button to make the elevator move. Up and Down is determined by reaching through a hole in the side wall and pulling on a metal cable on a pulley, and to stop at a particular floor, you just look through the hole in the side and release the green button when the little metal rod poking off the side of the elevator is level with the line drawn on the bright neon-colored labels stuck to the wall of the shaft and kind of eyeball it factoring in the amount of time it'll actually take the elevator to come to a stop. Generally, you end up pretty close to level with the floor, and only need to reverse the up-down cable and give the go button a quick tap or two to make a fine adjustment.

However, there is a phone in the elevator (yep, the shipping elevator has its own extension #) with lots of buttons on it, but pushing al the buttons just makes annoying beeping sounds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
13 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Of course... Unfortunately, the elevator itself only has two buttons - one raises and lowers the inside curtain, and the other is the green "go" button to make the elevator move. Up and Down is determined by reaching through a hole in the side wall and pulling on a metal cable on a pulley, and to stop at a particular floor, you just look through the hole in the side and release the green button when the little metal rod poking off the side of the elevator is level with the line drawn on the bright neon-colored labels stuck to the wall of the shaft and kind of eyeball it factoring in the amount of time it'll actually take the elevator to come to a stop. Generally, you end up pretty close to level with the floor, and only need to reverse the up-down cable and give the go button a quick tap or two to make a fine adjustment.

However, there is a phone in the elevator (yep, the shipping elevator has its own extension #) with lots of buttons on it, but pushing al the buttons just makes annoying beeping sounds.

If there is a phone then the keypad is also the method to access all the secret buttons, you just have to know the access code to enable these additional functions.

When you know how to do this then you have a Wonkavatortm..

GEM

• Haha 7

I am reminded of the lift (elevator) in the building where I used to work, which would frequently develop faults.  I was the one who discovered a particularly bizarre fault which caused it to move to the floor *above* the one for whichever button you pressed.  When I reported the fault I had to admit that I did not have the courage to find out what happened if I pressed the button for the top floor...

Edited by alchemist
  • Haha 13
29 minutes ago, alchemist said:

I am reminded of the lift (elevator) in the building where I used to work, which would frequently develop faults.  I was the one who discovered a particularly bizarre fault which caused it to move to the floor *above* the one for whichever button you pressed.  When I reported the fault I had to admit that I did not have the courage to find out what happened if I pressed the button for the top floor...

The trick here is to open the door on the floor you are on and quickly push the button and scramble out of the elevator.  If it does anything "unusual" then it's doing it with an empty passenger compartment.

GEM

• Like 8
8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Only one thing to do: cast fireball!

Certainly not enough time to ask how big the room is.

8 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

Truly, the best solution to all of life's problems. :devil:

Fireball: the cause of and answer to all of life's problems.

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

so what does it mean that 02021 is a thief/assassin?

I can't answer that question outside of Beekeepers. And I'm not in there.

• Like 9
On 1/3/2021 at 10:50 PM, OneBoot said:

I feel this on a deep level. :mellow:

Given that our home loan is now approved, barring a few more bits of paper and a whacking big check, it's finally starting to feel REAL. Closing date has been moved up from January 22nd to the 15th (which was completely expected on all sides), and I'm suddenly faced with the reality that we're going to be the actual owners of an actual house in two weeks!!! :blink: :wacko: :wow:

I feel the following two comics are appropriate here (substitute title for lease):

lease.png

homeownership.png

(Images courtesy of xkcd.com)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I had those comics printed out in my house, and taped to the side of my desk.

I miss my house.

On 1/4/2021 at 6:14 AM, Rob Dean said:

@ManvsMini, there were pictures of @Crowley’s storage etc back in this thread:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/74963-small-space-gaming-and-hobbying/

subject to recent revisions, of course...

Ah! That's where that thread went. Thank you!

Things haven't significantly changed but it is due for an update to that thread.

On 1/4/2021 at 9:03 AM, Kuroneko said:

Achievement: Maximum Scottishness UNLOCKED!!!!

IMG_20210104_133532492_HDR.thumb.jpg.977349d876f26ed3b771979d20e801f3.jpg

YUM!!

Okay, so.... it's been about a week since I was last here... That last week was insane, and not just work... but hey, we made it out the other end. And now i'm off for the next 12 weeks!!

Okay, page 691...

• Like 13
On 1/4/2021 at 4:20 PM, MusicalFeline said:

So. I played D&D for the first time in my life yesterday.

HUZZAH!!

Glad you did, and enjoyed it. RPGs are such an amazing combination of things that definitely are greater than the sum of the parts.

On 1/6/2021 at 12:32 PM, Weird-O said:

Well, my wife and I have tested positive for covid. They do seem to be very mild cases, so right know there's nothing to do except stay home and not interact with people. Really wish it didn't take a lethal plague to accomplish my life goals.

Boo!! Hoping for a quick recovery.

On 1/7/2021 at 9:06 AM, Kuroneko said:

It's a little bit foggy today....

IMG_20210107_135640324_HDR.thumb.jpg.db495a09bb8cc4c24001b752747c5af5.jpg

Beautiful shot!

On 1/7/2021 at 9:41 AM, haldir said:

It rained most of the night here. One of the drawbacks of having a metal roof........

Weather here right now reminds me of early spring. Temps are great, no snow on the ground & now we are getting rain instead of snow.

I know the bunny enjoys going outside right now as she stays out there most of the day now.

I always loved the sound of rain on a metal roof. One of the things I'm still annoyed about was not getting a metal roof for my old house. My ex wouldn't go for it. Oh well...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
On 1/8/2021 at 7:19 PM, redambrosia said:

Welp. Hubby and I have covid. 

Happy new year <_<

Well... crap. Here's hoping it's a mild case for you both and you get well quickly.

9 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Boiler finally fixed, heat is slowly leeching into the apartment.

About time! That took way too long.

Whew. All caught up.

Okay, so, yeah, work this past week was nuts, tying to get caught up on everything, and get everyone trained on everything they'll need to do over the next 12 weeks, and just... exhausting. But I'm officially done, and offline till April. Looking forward to it. Just getting to spend time with the hamsterling, and not have to worry about work... Honestly I've been feeling so burned out lately. While this isn't exactly a vacation, it's as close as I'm gonna get anytime soon.

I do have some plans. Gonna finish the cardboard spaceship I made for Stargrave, paint up some more minis, try to catch up on my blog posts, especially the Stonehell write ups.

Sadly Bones 5 is likely to arrive shortly after I get back to work. But at least I'll get to do some of the virtual thing in March.

We're also looking at moving to a bigger place. There are some 2-3 bedroom places nearby that cost about what we're paying for our 1 bedroom, and given the market, we're not looking to buy. Also I'm not sold on buying in NYC.

Oh, and for a 'too on the nose' activity, I picked up the game Pandemic at Target the other week on sale. We've played a few times now, and man, it can go bad really fast. Tonight for instance, we had a concentration of epidemics and outbreaks in Africa that just fed into one another over and over. We lost that game so quickly. But we've also had some fun wins.

Okay, time to call it a night.

• Like 16
12 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Okay, so, yeah, work this past week was nuts, tying to get caught up on everything, and get everyone trained on everything they'll need to do over the next 12 weeks, and just... exhausting. But I'm officially done, and offline till April. Looking forward to it. Just getting to spend time with the hamsterling, and not have to worry about work... Honestly I've been feeling so burned out lately. While this isn't exactly a vacation, it's as close as I'm gonna get anytime soon.

Hooray! Hopefully Mrs. Hamster is also doing well?

• Like 10
6 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Hooray! Hopefully Mrs. Hamster is also doing well?

She is, although she's looking forward to going back to work on Monday... and by back to work, I mean the dining room table, since we've both been teleworking since March.

Apparently taking care of a newborn is a lot of work. She'll still have to do the pumping, but i'll be taking over the childcare full time.

• Like 15