Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Just now, TGP said:

What the heck are those? 

Is it something to do with Six Sigmas?

No idea what Six Sigmas are.

This is statistics over how much we're satisfied with the leadership, their communications, who well we cooperate with other groups within our department and so on.   

I usually just answer with top scores on most questions when the questionare is sent out. Because if one metric drops below a certain point they'll yammer about it the whole year. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Coincidently, we also had Korean food tonight, homemade. I've never had it in a restaurant, only ever with big name sauces purchased from the Chinese supermarket. We had tofu and beef hamburgers and a cucumber salad and a green onion salad. I liked the salads, especially with the burgers. We have lots of leftover tofu, so tomorrow we will have Szechwan tofu and eggplant. I quite enjoy eggplant, though most Westerners have no idea what to do with it. 

I had a bulgogi bao-ger tonight. It was yummy. SWMBO had ramen.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Welp...LadyC and I decided to try out a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle. Took a couple of easy sessions and finished it up tonight. Turns out there were 499 pieces...we cannot find the last piece!

We suspect W.O.O.F. is to blame...

Actually, it would appear that Sylverthorne has your missing piece...

7 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

And here I just finished a thousand-piece puzzle.. and had a piece left over! (I had me a wtf, you betcha).

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

37 minutes ago, Humansquish said:

And who moved that piece to Sylverthorne? A cat certainly wouldn't have traveled that far.

Obviously, an evil wizard did it. Xena told me so. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Well this adds something new to my theory from yesterday. The increased traffic was thralls of the lizard people moving stolen puzzle bits about, perhaps in an attempt to create some manner of resonance between the incomplete puzzles towards some yet unknown nefarious purpose...

It could be that a war is brewing between the lizard people, who seek to drown the world in sunlight, and the cabal of vampires seeking to block it out. 

• Haha 8

48 minutes ago, Humansquish said:

And who moved that piece to Sylverthorne? A cat certainly wouldn't have traveled that far.

FAKE NEWS from M.E.O.W. !!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2058630/Cat-walks-2-000-miles-Australia-home-owners-relocate.html

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Better not say that in Greece.^_^

They know what to do with eggplants.

I've had some really nice dishes when on vacation there and have been making those myself since.

Yummie ....

I know how to use eggplant.  they work wonderfully in a slingshot or a small trebuchet. 

I haven't found a recipe that I like yet.  something about the texture.  I am told that there are ways of cooking it that keep it crisp but for me it has always been like trying to eat okra.

5 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Stuck in a meeting...   

The invite came 30 minutes before it started, and it's an 'all hands' meeting. I  bet that some of the managers are counting heads, too. 

And it's BOOOOOORING!    

Only a liberal dose of BlackBlack gum, tea and internet access is keeping me awake...    

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

No idea what Six Sigmas are.

This is statistics over how much we're satisfied with the leadership, their communications, who well we cooperate with other groups within our department and so on.   

I usually just answer with top scores on most questions when the questionare is sent out. Because if one metric drops below a certain point they'll yammer about it the whole year. 

Six Sigma is the concept that we can make huge improvements if we can just make everything work perfectly.  it sounds great on paper but in reality its in the same bucket as "if we just eliminate our employees and raw materials we can make a fortune" 

Like most of these quality programs, it takes a reasonably good idea and take it to a ridiculous extreme

which one do you have to deal with?  we have to deal with the annual gallup pole for the company.  That is a true farce for us:  the biggest things that come back every year is that the company is under staffed and we don't have a good idea of where we are headed.  This brings a usual response of the whippings will continue until moral improves.  Basically we need to better but we don't want to spend money and we don't want to change.

so at least you only had one meeting.  I had to put up with this for 3 hours a day for the first working days of December instead of improving the plants or finishing projects.  go team.

good luck and I hope you survived!

• Like 7

I don't think they're using any sort of plan for this. 

Someone once had the bright idea to try to find out what the employees thought about things, and put together a questionaire... 

And now, many years later we're still haunted by it. 

We usually get at least half a day of these minotaur droppings every year when the department gathers for a 2day conference(nearly 250 geeks collected in one spot, and the management wants to discuss metrics?) Also, everyone gets the questionaire, and I assume the other departments also suffer. It's just that IT is such a widespread topic, and yeah, we're all over the country. But of course we'll talk nonsense for half a day instead of letting us network.    

One question they always discuss is 'are you satisfied with the salary process' (ie. who gets raises and when) which is always a bit low on the happymeter. 

For one reason or other they always have to tell us that it's the PROCESS not the AMOUNT they're asking about. 

(Government oranisation. No one is satisfied with their paycheck... We KNOW this. We just think the process is a mess, also... )

Anyway, we get several sessions of this. First an overview of what we think about the very top boss and his/her abilities to communicate, delegate and take decisions that concerns us, then a second session about the leadership of the IT department, and finally, we're split into smaller units(I'm in 'hands-on support' )

There's two things I absolutely have to bring on these conferences;

My thermos cup(holds over 4dl of steaming hot tea), and a big box of Lotte BlackBlack caffeinated chewing gum. Otherwise I'll fall asleep.

Because they always hold the conference at the same place, which means I have to get up at 5AM to catch the way too early plane(06:50) to Oslo. 

Of course, the second day it ends just a little too early for me to catch the 4pm plane home, so have to wait until the 7:30pm plane. 

Hours and hours wasted on the airport...  

There's usually some sort of 'voluntary competition' also going on after the lectures ends and before dinner. 

Only one part of the last time was of any interest to me, and that was the rowing machine. 

Nope, didn't win that 'stage' 

Only 2 minutes, on a way too lightly adjusted machine that I had never tried before?

(I learned to row before I learned to ride a bicycle, and I don't do 'sprints'. Give me half an hour, or it's not fun. I may be fat and out of shape, but I can still move a proper rowboat at a decent speed. )

Did I mention the entertainment at dinner?

It's usually some schmuck who thinks he's a standup comedian with recycled jokes so old that they can vote...

And pretentious food. 

Sorry, but goose liver pate is not my kind of food. Neither is the asparagus and whatever sause that's a big part of the main course.  

Give me a slab of meat, a big piece of properly steamed cod with potatoes and melted butter, or even meatballs with potatoes and stewed peas. 

• Like 8

14 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Yeah, I don’t blame him. The music industry is toxic as hell. I just hope that, having gotten out of it, he can refind his passion for music. It sucks to loose your passion for something that’s such a huge part of your life. 

Also, boo! Skyrim tricked me! Said it was ready to play, but there’s a ton of updates still :angry:

Bethesda does that. <_<

Or did.

Microsoft now owns Bethesda.

But at least it's not Electronic Arts.

11 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

That moment when you sing your daughter to sleep, turn to talk to your wife, and discover you sang her to sleep too.

The Auld Grump

BD and I have a weakness when your voice goes all rumbly.

Doesn't matter what the song is. ZONK!

You've put me to sleep with You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive, and that isn't a sleepy time song.

• Like 7

@Gadgetman!, 4dl?

I’m not questioning the units (shockingly, Amurikan skoolz did teach me metric well enough to know that’s deciliters) but curious about the usage. I’ve only ever seen liters and milliliters used, even when I’ve been overseas, so it got my ears raised up. Deciliter something in actual usage or did you toss in some geek cred there due to boredom?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

which one do you have to deal with?  we have to deal with the annual gallup pole for the company.  That is a true farce for us:  the biggest things that come back every year is that the company is under staffed and we don't have a good idea of where we are headed.  This brings a usual response of the whippings will continue until moral improves.  Basically we need to better but we don't want to spend money and we don't want to change.

Sounds a lot like our quarterly customer satisfaction scores....

Most of the very low bad scores (and i'm talking 1 or 2 on a scale of 10) include comments on how to improve on stuff that look something like the following.

"Make it cheaper".
"Why am I using a point of sale software that doesn't tell me how to repair stuff?  I have to pay for a second software package for that..."  

"It does A,B,C,D,E,F,G and H fantastically, but it doesn't do Q so I can't recommend it until it does." (q being something that less than 1% of our cusotmers are even interested in)

"They've added 100 new features in the last year but not the one I asked for, and I know I'm not like most of their customers but I think it's a great idea for my business. I can't recommend a company that doesn't listen to their customers" (this great idea being a convoluted 3 am shower thought that would take around 100 hours of programming time.  We've quoted him for custom work and he's declined)

I'm paraphrasing a little to obscure details

It's not uncommon to get over a dozen of these on each round. And we only survey about 100-200 customers each quarter.  Corporate then yells at the managers that we need to improve our scores...

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 7

31 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

@Gadgetman!, 4dl?

I’m not questioning the units (shockingly, Amurikan skoolz did teach me metric well enough to know that’s deciliters) but curious about the usage. I’ve only ever seen liters and milliliters used, even when I’ve been overseas, so it got my ears raised up. Deciliter something in actual usage or did you toss in some geek cred there due to boredom?

Deciliters. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Humansquish said:

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Actually, it would appear that Sylverthorne has your missing piece...

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Obviously, an evil wizard did it. Xena told me so. 

@Pezler the Polychromatic! Stop that!

• Haha 8