Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump - just finished our taxes, Megan is already asleep.

It's going to be another month or so before I can start mine.  All depends on when work gives us our T4's.  This year is going to be weird, because I'll also have RRSP contribution slips from a few different places, and so many companies like to wait until the Feb 28 deadline to give them to you, which is annoying for those of us who like to file the day Netfile opens. 

I just hope that misfiled T4 for someone else (that was filed under hubby's name) is fully fixed by then.  Such should only be another week or two before I can initiate the last step..  I want that bill gone. 

10 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump - just finished our taxes, Megan is already asleep.

It's going to be another month or so before I can start mine.  All depends on when work gives us our T4's.  This year is going to be weird, because I'll also have RRSP contribution slips from a few different places, and so many companies like to wait until the Feb 28 deadline to give them to you, which is annoying for those of us who like to file the day Netfile opens. 

I just hope that misfiled T4 for someone else (that was filed under hubby's name) is fully fixed by then.  Such should only be another week or two before I can initiate the last step..  I want that bill gone. 

• Like 6

It is snowing. Not a gentle drifting down from the clouds, but plummeting with serious purpose, a good firm packing snow ideal for building with. A nice change from the rain/ice that it has been for the most part so far this year. 

Unfortunately the Yellow Orb That Burns and Blinds has made it's way out from behind the clouds, so the Weather War begins anew....

• Like 8

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

As far as I know we haven't even figured out when tax season starts this year. You're fine.

I started down the path of saying it is comforting to know that I “know” someone normal at your steady paycheck source, then I stopped as I wondered if you can really be considered normal cause you do hang out here. 

That seemed wrong and slightly demeaning. 

Then I came up with the phrasing of “normal like the rest of us here” which made things all better in my head and feels better.

Edited by Pegazus
Eliminated random carriage return
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

I started down the path of saying it is comforting to know that I “know” someone normal at your steady paycheck source, then I stopped as I wondered if you can really be considered normal cause you do hang out here. 

That seemed wrong and slightly demeaning. 

Then I came up with the phrasing of “normal like the rest of us here” which made things all better in my head and feels better.

Viewed from the perspective of a lifelong Nerd, a Nerd who was a Nerd before the label was popularized, we're all pretty normal* around here

GEM

* For a given value of "normal".

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Oakleaf98 said:

Anyone notice that Japanese is hard to translate to American English.

Cause i once uploaded a model kit manual that was in Japanese and tried to have DeepL Translate to translate it, but it appeared as mostly nonsense.

Unless we assume the instructions were always gibberish, and it got perfectly translated.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Cranky Dog said:

Unless we assume the instructions were always gibberish, and it got perfectly translated.

It's all a fiendish plot by the Japanese kit designers/manufacturers to Sell More Kitstm.

By making the instructions gibberish you have to buy one kit to figure out how to put it together, and a second kit of the same item to actually build the model because you broke/lost/glued-it-wrong parts from the first kit.

GEM

• Haha 8

5 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

It's all a fiendish plot by the Japanese kit designers/manufacturers to Sell More Kitstm.

By making the instructions gibberish you have to buy one kit to figure out how to put it together, and a second kit of the same item to actually build the model because you broke/lost/glued-it-wrong parts from the first kit.

GEM

Knowing the hobby industry. It's not a secret that Japan can successfully market the elf out of anything!

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

44 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

GEM

This sounds more like a ploy the Chinese companies would use, since their translations are... 

Well, let's just say I'm glad Tamiya gets someone who knows English very well to write the English side of their instructions.

But I playfully say Chinese companies mainly because so many of the kit companies are there, and more importantly there are some that put out revision after revision (my current favourite, Trumpeter, does this a lot) 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 5

On 1/14/2021 at 2:14 PM, Gadgetman! said:

No, it's Nuclear Crill's almost mythical, severely limited edition vinyl LP with their one and only Blues jam. 

As far as anyone knows, they pressed less than 500 of these LPs, and they were only sold to a very select part of their fanclub. 

So Music critics have never heard it, and most of them thinks that it's an urban legend. 

But WE know the truth...   

As CEO, Grand Nagus, Chief Spymaster, CFO, CIO, Head Bottlewasher, and Spokes-griffin for:

the Society for the Propagation of  Üneccessary  Ümlauts (SPÜÜ)

…I am obliged to mention that it is:

Nüclear Krïll

@OneBoot  @Guindyloo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

47 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

This sounds more like a ploy the Chinese companies would use, since their translations are... 

Well, let's just say I'm glad Tamiya gets someone who knows English very well to write the English side of their instructions.

But I playfully say Chinese companies mainly because so many of the kit companies are there, and more importantly there are some that put out revision after revision (my current favourite, Trumpeter, does this a lot) 

I just built a Chinese kit last week. It had very good ikea style wordless instructions.

• Like 7