Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

3 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

1392436111888.thumb.jpg.3e00693578318c42f3d88c519bce093e.jpg

Canada geese, man...

There's a reason why as a delivery driver I was happy we had to wear steel toes...  Never had to fight back with one, but most got the hint that the coffee guy would give them some leeway, but the sidewalk was -my- domain! 

Word is you really do not want to be bit by them... 

2 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I had this same discussion with Guindy about the Mig-17 I saw outside the antique shop.  Texas is a unique place full of unusual charm, beauty, and oddly random war machines.  

I bet that was an interesting conversation to say the least.  I'd love a Leopard 1A4 or 5, but at the same time, I've nowhere to park it. 

If I won the lottery though, that would be fun and tempting to do, have a garage with a tank or three in it instead of the "typical lotto winner" behaviour of a Lamborghini.  My friends would appreciate the tank(s) a lot more! 

47 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Your Squall isolated 3 of my technicians at the Edmonton plant last night.  they are stuck at their homes with downed powerlines and large trees across the access roads.  its going to be a while before they get freed from their homes

Given just how brutal it sounded (and winds are still gusting 60kph) I wouldn't doubt we have a decent amount of downed trees in the area, especially in St Albert.  Here's hoping there were no injuries, and even better no damage to essential things! 

Meanwhile I'm all "boo, can't airbrush" but I'll take that as a problem to contend with over other possibilities.  Needless to say, I was rather thankful to be at home with such weather - if I wasn't temporarily laid off I would have been waiting for a bus in such weather! ..Well, more than likely I would have swore, then hired an Uber because screw being out on foot in those conditions! 

I'll be surprised if the upstairs idiot neighbour's BBQ survived the ordeal - it went thud pretty loudly several times last night.  We thought he had actually brought it in, but nope, the regular thump-bangs through the night proved otherwise.. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Agents of M.E.O.W., it is with a heavy heart and very red-eyes that I write to inform that Gabriel (codename: Archangel) has crossed over the rainbow bridge to be with other retired agents. :down: After not eating his breakfast today (something unheard of), his vet visit today revealed a softball-sized mass in his abdomen near his kidney and spleen, likely cancer, pressing his intestine forward, with prognosis odds not in his favor due to his rapid deterioration this past week. In the four months since his annual check-up, he had dropped from 13 lbs to 9 lbs, and lost 50% of his muscle mass.

There will never be another like him, or a M.E.O.W. agent as loved as he was. Please raise a glass for Gabe when you have the opportunity.

So sorry to hear that. Will raise a pint for Gabe tonight. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I bet that was an interesting conversation to say the least.  I'd love a Leopard 1A4 or 5, but at the same time, I've nowhere to park it. 

I've got the space to park a tank. unfortunately the reason I want a tank wouldn't fly, the powers that be won't accept a tank as a perfectly legitimate form of ensuring my safety on the road

Of course, parking it when I got to work may be another problem

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Your Squall isolated 3 of my technicians at the Edmonton plant last night.  they are stuck at their homes with downed powerlines and large trees across the access roads.  its going to be a while before they get freed from their homes

About a decade ago, a summer hurricane put me in the same situation - my neighborhood is surrounded by a long U-shaped road extending out from the main road, and trees and powerlines were down across the main road at both ends...

I was stuck at home for a week with no power.

(Somewhat  "fortunately", I was unemployed at the time, so it wasn't a partucularly big deal other than having to go draw a bucket of water from the pool every day to wash up with.)

• Like 9

Don't get me wrong, it is satisfying to progress on assembling a model, but spending an hour to have a machine gun is nowhere near as satisfying as getting a turret assembled in the same amount of time... 

It is a nice looking gun though, just not the same level of visible satisfaction, lol

(my fault for choosing a high parts count model, but oh well) 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

No problem, it's a tank; park it anywhere you want to.::D:

Random trivia: The infamous rock-n-roll incident where Ozzy Osbourne bit the head off a bat occurred 39 years ago today. 

@ManvsMini---I'm very sorry to hear the news.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

No problem, it's a tank; park it anywhere you want to.::D:

True. and there are plenty of free parking spaces

or I just park it on the lawn

At least they wouldn't be able to clamp or tow it

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

I've got the space to park a tank. unfortunately the reason I want a tank wouldn't fly, the powers that be won't accept a tank as a perfectly legitimate form of ensuring my safety on the road

Years ago I had the chance to buy 2 bren carriers for real cheap. One was in running condition and the other for spare parts. Still regret not buying them. Then it seemed like too much money. Now not really. Hey I bet they would have worked great for checking fences in the big hills.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

@strawhat--I'm very sorry to hear it.

@ManvsMini--I'll keep my fingers crossed for good news.

We went out driving around a little more yesterday. While we were out I saw a tank parked outside of a business (no, I don't know what kind of tank, or what the business was, I was driving, so was watching the road. I saw the tank out of the corner of my eye). Now I want a tank. My wife says 'no'.

When I was in third grade - in Kansas - the old barn behind the house we were renting had the rusting hulk of a French Renault FT tank, in American colors. No turret or gun, but the hull and tracks....

For years I was mystified as to why a French WWI tank would be in a barn in Kansas.

Turned out that the answer was... boring.

The US imported 140 of them, and manufactured more - ending up with around a thousand of them.

In the 1930s they were sent to Kansas, and later decommissioned - where a bunch of them were de-gunned, and sold as tractors.

It may have started as a tank - but what I saw was a tractor.

The Auld Grump

• Like 14

Tonight's attempt to clone old school Pizza Hut cheesesticks went well for the most part. Got the spice profile almost down, need to work on the cheese mix, and the dough I used worked far better than the Pillsbury I used on my last attempt some months back. Oddly they came out as very close to the "Toppers Stix" I used to get in Dekalb. (Which was my secondary target.)

No pics available as they didn't survive my ravenous hunger long enough for me to take one.

Now I just need to figure out the method behind the Toppers Philly Cheesesteak pizza. When they first opened in 2008, this was the best thing on their menu other than the Topper Stix. Unfortunately after they lost their head cook, it went vastly down in quality to the point it wasn't worth ordering. Looking back I wonder if they also repeated Pizza Hut's mistake of no longer using freshly made in house dough, in favor of frozen crusts sent out from a central kitchen.  

• Like 8