Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Well, probably not after you subtract what you would have paid in rent over that time.  But I know what you mean.

47 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

Same thing happened to me this past July.  I bought at the height of the bubble in 2007.  We ended up with a good chunk of cash (to live on until I started my job earlier this month) but we didn't really make anything, it was all paid-in equity we got back.

I mean, we probably could have rented for less, and all the "paid in equity" was really "interest paid to the bank" which doesn't feel, in retrospect, much different than paying some landlord. I joked that by the time I sold it, I finally owned the front stoop while the bank owned the rest of the house.

Okay, Hamsterling down for a nap. Need to take out the trash, walk the beast, try to swing by the bookstore and the grocery store before he wakes.

• Like 12
2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Thanks for the replies about the xenomorphs, I haven't checked in on the acquisitions thread recently, so I missed it there. 

Scouting report: I just got back home from trying out one way (of many options) to get to work when I go back next week. I'm not sure if I'll use it or try a different one next time, but it's nice to see that google maps time estimate was right on.

PM me for free opines about specific routes. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Unless you end up buying at the height of the market 4 months before the housing crash.  *raises hand*

I'm a bit afraid this will end up happening to us. The housing market here is typically a strong seller's market due to Hanford and PNNL being big employers in the area, but right now prices are kind of insane. We paid $310k for our house; 3 years ago, it sold for $235k. :blink:

Like Dilvish, we didn't buy to sell, we bought it to live in for a long time, but it's still something I've thought about. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 12
4 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Yah, lenses in that class aren't even on my wish list because I don't want to torture myself, lol.  that Leica is a beautiful lens .....

Yeah, I really do like a lot of the PanaLeica lenses...  Well, except for the 100-400.  I don't like how stiff that one feels, and odds are I'm not going to need that kind of reach for the photography I do. 

But those Olympus f1.2 Pro lenses?  Gawds they are nice, and the 25mm is a rather lovely one too.  You may be noticing a bit of a trend - I looooove the feel and rendering the Olympus Pro lenses have, even the 8mm fisheye, although I'm not sure how often I'd actually make use of such a lens. 

But I also went into micro four thirds because of two reasons: the weight and size benefits, aaaaaand Fuji was too expensive (I had $1,200ish CAD at the time, and I wasn't into long exposures).  That and the X-T2 didn't really fit in my hand all that well.  The X-T4 on the other hand, fits nicely....  And has some downright gorgeous lenses, like the 16mm f1.4....  If I get a Fuji though, it will probably be the X100V, because of various reasons but mainly because I like it, it's comfy to hold, is reasonably small, and I love the 35mm full frame equivalent more than I do 50mm - I grew up with a 28mm and 38mm fixed lens camera after all... 

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Yeah, I really do like a lot of the PanaLeica lenses...  Well, except for the 100-400.  I don't like how stiff that one feels, and odds are I'm not going to need that kind of reach for the photography I do. 

But those Olympus f1.2 Pro lenses?  Gawds they are nice, and the 25mm is a rather lovely one too.  You may be noticing a bit of a trend - I looooove the feel and rendering the Olympus Pro lenses have, even the 8mm fisheye, although I'm not sure how often I'd actually make use of such a lens. 

But I also went into micro four thirds because of two reasons: the weight and size benefits, aaaaaand Fuji was too expensive (I had $1,200ish CAD at the time, and I wasn't into long exposures).  That and the X-T2 didn't really fit in my hand all that well.  The X-T4 on the other hand, fits nicely....  And has some downright gorgeous lenses, like the 16mm f1.4....  If I get a Fuji though, it will probably be the X100V, because of various reasons but mainly because I like it, it's comfy to hold, is reasonably small, and I love the 35mm full frame equivalent more than I do 50mm - I grew up with a 28mm and 38mm fixed lens camera after all... 

I hear you.  part of me here the last month or so keeps asking if I should have looked at other brands but....

I cut my teeth on my mom's Pentax strap (I think she had a K2 but I'm not positive) but my dad's been a Canon guy my whole life.  The first camera I had that was mine was a Kodak Star 110,and my parents had to ration me on film for it because I'd shoot whole rolls in no time. I still miss those little Kodak 110 film cartridges...

I upgraded to a Vivatar VistaTele around the time I got to junior high.   That was an odd but interesting camera, 35mm point and shoot, but with 2 lenses built in, a 35mm and a 70mm. It had a little slider on the top that shifted the position of a prism and a door to switch between the two.  it also had a slider to extend a panorama mask across the viewfinder, but it didn't mask what was on the film - to do that you had to install a little metal mask under the film when loading it - meaning if you wanted to use it you shot the whole roll with it. I usually chose not to.

I got my first SLR, a EOS X1 right before the summer between my junior and senior years in highscool.  I used that camera HARD for 5 years, then got a little out of the habit because it got harder to get film and get it developed. I went through a succession of inexpensive digital point-and-shoots of various increasing quality but I kind of forgot about the hobby until about three years ago when my wife managed to snag a used powershot for me.  I promptly went around taking pictures of all the things again and began to really get the urge for the full SLR experience again. 
When I decided late last year it was finally time to get a dSLR I wanted to stay with Canon for no good reason other than experience and they're easy to find, and they kept the same EF mount system, even if I didn't get many lenses for the old one.

I'm defiantly going to keep my options open if I get in the market for a second body, though getting away from the existing lenses collection is going to get harder now that I actually have the disposable income to buy some of the lenses I've always wanted.,...

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

For anybody confused, go get a stock quote for AMC theaters. And then GameStop. Turns out the public can squeeze short stock hedge funds when they oversell and put things in a ripe position.

it is 2021 as prophesized stuff has gotten properly cyberpunk.

• Like 14
15 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I feel your pain.  (Same issue different area)  I don't suppose the drug company has a program to cover the cost of the drug if you can't?  Most of the cancer meds these days have that sort of program to let you take the drug while insurance fights...  also does your insurance have an appeal process?  They can overule a lot of things with a decent story.  Hoping this will help.

All the drug savings plans/coupons that I could find, including from the company, won't let you apply if you have government insurance? It's dumb and makes no sense.

I have appealed. They denied it. I really don't want to wait for a state hearing for this. My in-laws have offered to pay for it if it helps. Which is nice but I didn't want to take my MIL up on it if at all possible.

They just don't want to pay for 2 treatments at the same time which also makes no sense. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 12
On 1/25/2021 at 8:42 PM, Werkrobotwerk said:

I used this pattern, except I printed it at 66% size and added arms that were just one piece of fabric folded over with a rounded end https://dl-public.psquid.net/metroidhat_scalemate_tut_mirror/scalemate.html (not a commercial link, just a free pattern)

I also used a different kind of eyes, they are pushed through a small hole then secured on the inside of the head

Thanks!

On 1/25/2021 at 10:23 PM, Corsair said:

Okay, c'mon Monday! Got word today our new shed is supposed to be delivered Monday. Then I can finally get the shed stuff out of the garage and start getting it organized. Ender6 and reloading bench are ready to get set up. And also get the truck inside out of the weather, we were pleased that this garage is long enough to hold my 4 door F150.  2 sets of shelving, work bench, a cart and big cabinet to be assembled. Is there anything more frightening than the two phrases "Some assembly required" and "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"?

I'm from Military Intelligence....
I need to ask you some questions....

On 1/26/2021 at 10:43 AM, CaptainPete said:

I Will Destory Britannia.jpg

Did anyone call @Beagle?:devil:

On 1/26/2021 at 1:47 PM, Pegazus said:

horizontalhive dot com

He’s also got a lot of YouTube videos. 

Thanks!

On 1/26/2021 at 3:02 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Take the @buglips*the*goblin air ducts to get inside.

Guided tours are $20....:poke:

• Like 9

Pharmacy elfed up because my Dr wrote my prescription weird. Instead of saying I needed 2 pens for my first dose he just wrote "Take x mg by pen once a month" on both prescriptions. So the pharmacy thought he sent a duplicate. The only difference was one said 1ml and the other said 2ml. The 2ml was for the 2 pens. So I called them after I confirmed with the Dr that that's what I needed. They had to order more. Pharmacist still feels bad about us having to pay out of pocket. She asked if I was okay spending that much. I just said yeah. I mean I don't really have another option right now. I had 6 migraines last week. Need some relief even if it does cost 1200$. :unsure:

• Sad 13
22 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Pharmacy elfed up because my Dr wrote my prescription weird. Instead of saying I needed 2 pens for my first dose he just wrote "Take x mg by pen once a month" on both prescriptions. So the pharmacy thought he sent a duplicate. The only difference was one said 1ml and the other said 2ml. The 2ml was for the 2 pens. So I called them after I confirmed with the Dr that that's what I needed. They had to order more. Pharmacist still feels bad about us having to pay out of pocket. She asked if I was okay spending that much. I just said yeah. I mean I don't really have another option right now. I had 6 migraines last week. Need some relief even if it does cost 1200$. :unsure:

Have you looked at apps (Single Care, Good RX, etc.) that compare drug prices?  I know it helped when Ma Strawhat had some changes in medications.

• Like 8