Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

E807945A-B23B-4403-8623-4542B5B6F3CD.jpeg.b46a657bce623062fbdf2b52d156dedf.jpeg

That came out well.  The community supported agriculture greenhouses have apparently been growing chard this winter; it’s been so good that I’m sorry I never experimented with it in earlier years.

• Like 15
  • Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

Earlier I mentioned Ice Trolls attacking the transit system. Which caused me to start wondering why this was not a more common thing, after all a bus or train car stuffed with commuters would be much like a can of Pringles to a great many things, trolls, ogres, etc. 

After consulting the Fat Little Birds, I learned about these guys...

TransitWizard.thumb.jpg.4ae8e4e561da2c4a2715a739cd8a0825.jpg

The International Order of Transit Wizards, established in 1974. Think the old school Guardian Angels but with less berets, and more fireballs. For a while up until the last few years, they prevented the sacking of the subways and buses, but now that most are getting up in age they're trying to retire only to find that the pension deal they made with the various unions wasn't exactly taken seriously...once word spread about the pension going sideways, most either quit or went on strike. The incident with the Ice Trolls last night may have been caused by a disgruntled Transit Wizard who decided that since his services weren't valued that he'd become part of the problem.

• Haha 14
  • Confused 1
5 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Whee. Wife and I have moved out from my parents and into our own unit. Finances are going to take a hit, but health of mind will lead to better life style overtime. Love my parents but they are stuck in the old ways of Asian tradition and that was affecting us overall.

Been using coupons and apps to buy groceries. still learning the ropes when compared to those extreme couponers.

$3.49 cause the hamburger buns weren't on sale. 

-$0.90 - wife ate one of the chobani yogurts and we ate the safeway select chips before I took the picture. 

Since you're saying you're using an app, just want to make sure that you are using the Safeway app as well. There's a section in there that shows you what coupons are available for the items you regularly buy. Always check them, as well as the $X off $Y meat/produce coupon. Just don't fall the the siren call of the coupon and buy more than the amount off just to reach the dollar amount off. Well, I guess unless that makes better financial sense to you.

Other tips. Generic lunch meat is indistinguishable from name brand. Generic cheese is distinguishable. Very much so. Always check the $/wt number printed on Safeway's shelf tags. The larger size is not always the better deal.

Spent a year paying two mortgages with two kids when we moved to Colorado and hadn't sold the old house yet (lovely year for real estate, 2007). You'll do fine as long as you don't bust any of your budget.

You ARE budgeting, right? RIGHT?!

On to fun stuff. Finished the design and the 3D print of a clamshell license plate mount for the front of the car. Still can't believe they expected someone to drive 5 cheap broccoli screws into an expensive car's bumper.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I scrambled a lot of eggs with cheese and ham (proscuttio. It was delicious). 

Seemed more-or-less equitable; Andi brings me warm, I make food. 

.. I might have made a little too /much/ food, but whatever, the house mate also needs to eat.

I should note that 'cold' is not a foreign situation for me; I've Done This Before (granted, not since I was small), and I remember a lot of the tricks. ^^;

Granted, a drafty ramshackle not-actually-a-cabin with a single woodstove and no insulation to speak of is a slightly different animal, but still ...

• Like 13
4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Well, in dog years... ::P:

Chocolate covered strawberries used to be SOOO romantic.

Now it's a way to cast Summon Baby Shark. :lol:

I started making the Jaws music as soon as we lit the Sterno. Brigid, like her Mommy, likes chocolate covered strawberries. (And who can blame them)

The Auld Grump

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
On 2/10/2021 at 10:38 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Oh, saw Crazy Crow yesterday - first time in a longish while - and he finally succeeded in stealing my hat. (He has been trying to snatch it for years.)

And tonight I am pretty sure I heard Megan trying to do a voice I used when I ran Saltmarsh for our group - she is running it for the kids game.

The Auld Grump

And after buying a replacement hat... I found the one he snatched, a few blocks away from where he stole it.

It wasn't about the hat, it was about the thrill of a successful hat theft... ::P:

The Auld Grump

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

Valentines Day successfully accomplished.

Cards, flowers, gifts, candy and all topped off with a steak and baked potato dinner.

Now to start working on Birthday for SWMBO, which happens in just 8 days.

I think Dolly Parton is going to be a big help.

She has a new coffee table sized book out, there's a magazine style book out, and SWMBO is a fan.

GEM

• Like 9

Spent most of my day driving to the new city I'll be working from and moving to soon.

Currently staying in an Airbnb apartment, paid by my company, for the next 10 days until I get through basic company introduction and get transferred my trainer's work load (he's leaving for another career path in design). Apartment has three bedrooms (all to myself), furnished, and basic amenities. Not particularly fancy, but functional.

For supper and several lunches, I spoiled myself and got Chinese food. Haven't had any in over a year. I didn't mind waiting an extra 15 minutes to get my order.

I brought all of my paints and most of my painting material (brushes, minis, holders, visor) to keep me busy in the evening. Though not this evening. On this evening, I ironed some shirts.

And it's only when I was unpacking my suitcase that I realized I forgot to pack socks. Well, technically I have my ankle high gym socks in the suitcase, but those are not useful in snowy weather. Guess I'll be buying socks this week.

• Like 18
5 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Since you're saying you're using an app, just want to make sure that you are using the Safeway app as well. There's a section in there that shows you what coupons are available for the items you regularly buy. Always check them, as well as the $X off $Y meat/produce coupon. Just don't fall the the siren call of the coupon and buy more than the amount off just to reach the dollar amount off. Well, I guess unless that makes better financial sense to you.

Other tips. Generic lunch meat is indistinguishable from name brand. Generic cheese is distinguishable. Very much so. Always check the $/wt number printed on Safeway's shelf tags. The larger size is not always the better deal.

Spent a year paying two mortgages with two kids when we moved to Colorado and hadn't sold the old house yet (lovely year for real estate, 2007). You'll do fine as long as you don't bust any of your budget.

You ARE budgeting, right? RIGHT?!

On to fun stuff. Finished the design and the 3D print of a clamshell license plate mount for the front of the car. Still can't believe they expected someone to drive 5 cheap broccoli screws into an expensive car's bumper.

We are definitely budgeting. Goal is to save up for a place of our own meat the beach. We have all the store apps we can download and several cash back apps. It's great! 

10 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

Just please, do not try to use a $2.00 off coupon on a $0.50 item, as someone tried at my store the other day. Coupons says $2.00 off a 9 oz item, the $0.50 item was .5 oz........ people annoy me. 

I'm not that crazy for coupons to try and cheat the system. Or not know how to read said coupon. XD

• Like 11
6 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I was thinking he would use it to line a nest.

The Auld Grump

Not crows, but we have these Great Tits over here( among other birds), we put up nest boxes for them.

Before me moved to this house I cleaned the nesting boxes before we took them with us.

The nests were about 90% white hairs from Brutus they had found in the garden.

image.png.e0f7b861bafaf865f11e237d29b80588.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9
  • Haha 11

Temperatures are getting up.

it's raining now and thawing.

Hope it will not lead to any leakage...

Yesterday youngest vixen was skating on a frozen pond, next weekend they expect temperatures between 15 and 20 Celsius.

• Like 11