Jump to content

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

 

What the heck are "ice pellets"?!? ::o::blink::huh:

 

Is that a Canadian word for hailstones, or some terrifying form of precipitation hitherto unknown in this part of the world?

 

Something between sleet and hail, yes. 

 

The sun is back and so is the power.  Rolling blackouts like many of you in the midwest are experiencing.  Otherwise relatively good here.  We have plenty of food and minis to paint. 

 

 

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

Weather actually has finally warmed up here in NYC. It's a balmy 8 degrees C here today (about 50F). I have a chicken parm sandwich in the oven right now, fresh coffee, and a mostly written session report.

 

I also introduced the Hamsterling to Miles Davis, Sketches of Spain this morning. I think he liked it. He kept looking at the speaker and thinking hard. A good sign! Gonna have to go through my music library and pick some good stuff to listen to over the next 6 weeks of my paternity leave. I'm really not looking forward to it being over, and to sending him to daycare. Both because it's so expensive, and also cause I'm really liking being a stay at home dad.

 

 

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites

It dawned on me that Molly likes all the deep snow piles because she's only 3 years old and has never seen it this deep before due to the past relatively mild winters here. Dixie has been trying to enjoy the stuff, but since she's 10 and has some arthritis I am keeping her out of the deep stuff (which is pretty much all of it). Didn't stop her from sticking her nose into it and throwing it up into the air.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also spent 25 minutes watching the city snowplow first get stuck in front of my house on its first pass, then watch a second smaller city truck try to plow it out, before they called in a third plow the size of the original to finish the plowing, attach a chain and drag the other one out.

 

The first four attempts to yank the truck free revealed that the stuck driver didn't know how to secure the tow-chain. It also apparently makes more sense to try and yank the truck over a 3-foot mound of snow blocking the rear wheel instead of shoveling it away to make a clear path.

  • Haha 16
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

 

What the heck are "ice pellets"?!? ::o::blink::huh:

 

Is that a Canadian word for hailstones, or some terrifying form of precipitation hitherto unknown in this part of the world?

Ice pellets are basically a type of sleet.  They use ice pellets for when they are big enough to hurt when they hit you ::D: .
It stings similar to small hail but is created in a very different way.

The local weather put this out to refresh one the difference between sleet and freezing rain last night....

 

149868837_1884647831673964_5445283159863

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

oh yeah, Electric company is now doing controlled outages for 30 to 60 mins, in my area........

Oh but now the outages are up to two hours at a stretch......Got up to make coffee with the power out... I am so over this cold and power outage.. there must be a sacrifice to the coffee god. 

  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today seems off. I don’t know why. I am completely unmotivated and down on things in general. Just one big Blah sitting around. 

 

Currently self medicating with an iced espresso and 80’s pop (recent article saying it was the most “uplifting”, which honestly sounds like Soviet nostalgia in modern Russia). Wonder if a nap would help.

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Crowley said:

Weather actually has finally warmed up here in NYC. It's a balmy 8 degrees C here today (about 50F). I have a chicken parm sandwich in the oven right now, fresh coffee, and a mostly written session report.

 

I also introduced the Hamsterling to Miles Davis, Sketches of Spain this morning. I think he liked it. He kept looking at the speaker and thinking hard. A good sign! Gonna have to go through my music library and pick some good stuff to listen to over the next 6 weeks of my paternity leave. I'm really not looking forward to it being over, and to sending him to daycare. Both because it's so expensive, and also cause I'm really liking being a stay at home dad.

 

 

Dream job, right there.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

In case anyone was wondering... happiness is having a wife who enjoys shoveling snow. Happiness is also standing at the door drinking a hot cup of coffee while shouting encouragement to someone else who is shoveling snow. But mostly that first part.

  • Haha 19
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
12 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Reading the weather related plight of our Texas forumites, and those in surrounding areas, combined with what I'm seeing various online news sites I am prognoasticating some [unfortunately] bad news.

 

SisterBoot and her family are dealing with that mess right now, they live in McKinney, TX. After having power only briefly on for the past couple days and their home dropping to 45*F, they will be staying with family in a nearby city (which is doing much better power-wise) until things improve. 

 

12 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

In case anyone was wondering... happiness is having a wife who enjoys shoveling snow. Happiness is also standing at the door drinking a hot cup of coffee while shouting encouragement to someone else who is shoveling snow. But mostly that first part.

 

I resemble that remark. :lol: 

 

Well, I enjoyed it for the first two hours; the third hour wiped me out as I had to shift a giant drift in front of our house so we can park our van there when it gets back from the shop. I'm a lil bit sore today. :upside:

 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

  • Like 11
  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

In case anyone was wondering... happiness is having a wife who enjoys shoveling snow. Happiness is also standing at the door drinking a hot cup of coffee while shouting encouragement to someone else who is shoveling snow. But mostly that first part.

I love shoveling snow.

I can sit and watch Grump do it all day! ::D:

 

Back when we had a lawn, I used to watch him mow. He has a really nice back.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...