Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

This cold snap - ours seems to have moved on, for the time being - has reminded me of the assorted things one does to stay warm when the weather outside is so cold it'll freeze hot water in minutes. 

And also of why I really, REALLY want a working woodstove. *mutter* If I can get one that I can drop a standard kettle on for tea - or.. or SOUP..! - bonus!

I'm also now wondering how difficult it would be to build a curtained canopy for our bed. >.> 

My Twitter feed has been a wealth of tips. I've learned all /kinds/ of neat things, saved up for the next time I need them ..

If anyone was curious as to what actually happened to our HVAC, the power outage killed the starter cap on the internal fan; not something we could have prevented, according to the HVAC technician. I'm not actually sure what that means, other than 'no heat for you!', but... well. It's fixed now, and we have warm again. The cats are much happier. 

• Like 15
  • Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Dinner tonight is VERY American

Fried chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, and apple pie with vanilla ice cream

But we're rebels.

DUTCH apple pie and FRENCH vanilla ice cream!

Having gyoza soup here. We’ll see how it turns out. Rika is using up the gyoza she made a while back and froze. Neither of us have ever tried that, so she’s going with having won ton soup as a general base.

Edited by Pegazus
  • Like 9
7 hours ago, haldir said:

As funny as Danny is, I'm sure it was done by himself!! :lol:

Danny Trejo has reached the point where he is happy being Danny Trejo. ::):

Megan sent me that picture while I was at work. :lol:

No after school game this week - no school.

For some reason, that leaves me feeling a bit off... like there is something that I am supposed to be doing.

The Auld Grump

43 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Dinner tonight is VERY American

Fried chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, and apple pie with vanilla ice cream

But we're rebels.

DUTCH apple pie and FRENCH vanilla ice cream!

A perfect choice.

Thank you. ::):

The Auld Grump

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

In case anyone was wondering... happiness is having a wife who enjoys shoveling snow. Happiness is also standing at the door drinking a hot cup of coffee while shouting encouragement to someone else who is shoveling snow. But mostly that first part.

Guess I'll never know true happiness then... that Magic 8-ball was right all those years ago... "outlook unlikely", cursed thing...

• Like 7

So my wife told me their truck was late from Salt Lake today & she came home early. As she is the butcher block supervisor that might affect our truck tonight (& no I will not volunteer to come in on my night off to help them "finish it"). Supposedly there is a snow storm somewhere between here & SLC that is delaying trucks. Anther wait & see night I think ahead of me.

Good news, we (wife & I) may be getting out COVID shots soon. They'll go through the pharmacy to do it. We don't have one, but the Albertson's over in Payette, ID has one.

• Like 11
1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Guess I'll never know true happiness then... that Magic 8-ball was right all those years ago... "outlook unlikely", cursed thing...

Oh, there's several paths to happiness. I'd also accept paying someone to shovel your snow while you watch and any kind of merger between snow blowers and roombas as happiness. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

Having gyoza soup here. We’ll see how it turns out. Rika is using up the gyoza she made a while back and froze. Neither of us have ever tried that, so she’s going with having won ton soup as a general base.

I make and freeze gyoza several times a year. If you're going to make it by hand, best make a lot.  I pan fry them from frozen, just like the ones from the asian market. 

Dinner here was a double batch of dirty rice, made with chicken and beef. Corn bread and broccoli on the side. Several dinners worth of rice is going into the freezer for later. 

It's supposed to snow again tonight. Bleah. 

• Like 9
6 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

Oh but now the outages are up to two hours at a stretch......Got up to make coffee with the power out... I am so over this cold and power outage.. there must be a sacrifice to the coffee god. 

I could make some recommendations on who/what businesses to sacrifice.

But if I did you would only be able to find me in Beekeepers.

GEM

3 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

This cold snap - ours seems to have moved on, for the time being - has reminded me of the assorted things one does to stay warm when the weather outside is so cold it'll freeze hot water in minutes. 

And also of why I really, REALLY want a working woodstove. *mutter* If I can get one that I can drop a standard kettle on for tea - or.. or SOUP..! - bonus!

I'm also now wondering how difficult it would be to build a curtained canopy for our bed. >.> 

My Twitter feed has been a wealth of tips. I've learned all /kinds/ of neat things, saved up for the next time I need them ..

If anyone was curious as to what actually happened to our HVAC, the power outage killed the starter cap on the internal fan; not something we could have prevented, according to the HVAC technician. I'm not actually sure what that means, other than 'no heat for you!', but... well. It's fixed now, and we have warm again. The cats are much happier. 

English translation:

There is a device called a "starting capacitor" on the motors used in this kind of application.  What it does is store enough electrical energy to give the motor a "kick" when it is trying to start so that the motor comes up to speed quickly and smoothly instead of straining to start rotating.

The tech is right, and be thankful that it's the starting capacitor that went south, as it is one of the easiest and least expensive components to replace.

GEM

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Tonight's game of Rangers of Shadowdeep did not happen.

If it had happened, then Megan would have lost half of her warband, because the dice hated her and wanted them to die!

So, the game never happened.

Seriously, she would have lost her Ranger and her main archer to freaking giant rats, if it had happened.

So, instead we are playing a homebrew scenario with new warbands, based on the pictures I saw of Duskwardens of Dreadmere - bad things happen to folks what fall into the water. And whatever is in those waters like the taste of zombies just fine... (So long, chum.)

The Auld Grump - it wasn't even a lot of giant rats... two of them, against two characters.... good thing it never happened.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5
  • Confused 5

I'm feeling very down tonight. 

My mask of fully functioning adult is wearing thin. 

I spent most of the morning fighting with my remote-Ed first grader, trying to get mini-spawn to write or read, or anything. (her math is fine) 

Her teacher was out today so it was just me, her and a list of tasks. 

spent another hour and a half driving around, shopping with children,  mostly unsuccessfully.  Each individual decision seemed rational but it wasted a lot of time. 

I don't have a job other than Stay-at-home Dad  and right now I really hate it. 

There don't seem to be good days, just neutral and awful.  

I should go to bed, but that means I have to do it all again that much sooner.  

Sorry,  needed to vent. 

• Sad 17
52 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Tonight's game of Rangers of Shadowdeep did not happen.

If it had happened, then Megan would have lost half of her warband, because the dice hated her and wanted them to die!

So, the game never happened.

Seriously, she would have lost her Ranger and her main archer to freaking giant rats, if it had happened.

So, instead we are playing a homebrew scenario with new warbands, based on the pictures I saw of Duskwardens of Dreadmere - bad things happen to folks what fall into the water. And whatever is in those waters like the taste of zombies just fine... (So long, chum.)

The Auld Grump - it wasn't even a lot of giant rats... two of them, against two characters.... good thing it never happened.

My dice never got better than a 10.

The Black Monster Die of DOOM never got below a 12.

The second game was much, Much, MUCH better, only lost Sven who fell into the water, attracted the lake monster, and got eaten, but nobody liked Sven anyway.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3
2 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

My dice never got better than a 10.

The Black Monster Die of DOOM never got below a 12.

The second game was much, Much, MUCH better, only lost Sven who fell into the water, attracted the lake monster, and got eaten, but nobody liked Sven anyway.

With the possible exception of the lake monster?

GEM

• Like 1
  • Haha 8