Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

I'm Warm!!  First day this week I woke up with power!

I know 6" of accumulation and temperatures in the single digits F aren't that scary for some people, but this is Texas.  People here buy expensive air conditioners and cheap heaters. People in the southern reaches of the state may not even have central heat and make do with space heaters.  With weather like this people are using heaters that probably haven't even been switched on in years.  

A water treatment plant in the north part of town had lines freeze. They had to bring in huge heaters to thaw the lines so they could just get water to people.  

All this extra heat has our power grid beyond it's rated capacity, and rolling blackouts were moving beyond that.

Last night a second wave skimmed through.  For the first time in my life I saw a negative F temperature at my home.  (I've endured them while traveling before, but never at home.). 

I've shoveled my driveway for the second and third times in my life this week.

The water line in my kitchen sink is frozen on both sides.  I was excited when we built to be told that they put the supply lines in the attic so that I wouldn't ever have to jackhammer into the slab to fix a water leak.  I didn't think about the fact that meant here was a whole 8' of water line running through an exterior wall to get to my sink and that leaving the cabinets open would be completely ineffectual. What really kills me is it's a south facing wall, and my shower, which is on a north facing wall, is running fine. (PS once the power was on and the thermostat on the water heater could function again, that hot shower was glorious)

Grocery delivery didn't happen  yesterday and was rescheduled for Friday. That's fine, we've plenty of food, but Mrs. Wulf has a wedding shower sugar cookie order for Friday, which means she needs to either start on them today or let the customer know she won't be able to do them, and we're out of sugar.  I don't have tire chains for either of our vehicles, and the city only has enough snow equipment for the freeways around here, there's still 6" of snow in the residential streets outside.  going to have to be very careful if I venture out.

Other than that, though, we're pretty lucky.  I have friends who've not had the power come back on at all for them since Monday.  Fortunately I'm not aware of anyone who's still sitting at home in it, they all had places they could go.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

10 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Tonight's game of Rangers of Shadowdeep did not happen.

If it had happened, then Megan would have lost half of her warband, because the dice hated her and wanted them to die!

So, the game never happened.

Seriously, she would have lost her Ranger and her main archer to freaking giant rats, if it had happened.

So, instead we are playing a homebrew scenario with new warbands, based on the pictures I saw of Duskwardens of Dreadmere - bad things happen to folks what fall into the water. And whatever is in those waters like the taste of zombies just fine... (So long, chum.)

The Auld Grump - it wasn't even a lot of giant rats... two of them, against two characters.... good thing it never happened.

This is why I love mins games but rarely play them. If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. <_<

And Rangers just... Doesn't appeal to me. And I don't know why.

I think I'm going to end up just quitting my job. I've been dealing with some really stupid stuff lately, which isn't my fault but has become my responsibility, so I wanted to change sites. Been kind of a back-and-forth, with my direct boss having to play messenger because I think someone on management is afraid of talking to me, and I was willing. HOWEVER, they just changed my schedule to have me working a few nights and NOTHING for the rest of the month, and then tell me I'm going to switch this month, after not answering my questions about what my schedule and pay would be. I was spitting mad most of the night. Now, it's time to order Mexican food and get back on the job hunt.

And now your picture for the day:

959805024_200PercentMad.gif.c574b47da99c1a29c37044517b498977.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 15
1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

Mrs. Wulf has a wedding shower sugar cookie order for Friday, which means she needs to either start on them today or let the customer know she won't be able to do them, and we're out of sugar.

But is the wedding shower being rescheduled?

12 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

I know it was a a major blow (but a satisfying end) when my Five Leagues from the Borderlands crew lost all but two heroes to permadeath in one climactic fight.  At this point, not even story points will save the party.

Not sure if this deserves a ::(: reaction or the blue double teardrop, or a trophy symbol. Emotes = hard. 

• Like 8
10 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

With the possible exception of the lake monster?

GEM

Not even.

Sven survived with a Close Call, losing his sword.

Hopefully Sven gets better rolls next time, not knocked into the water.

The water was neat, the more figures in the water the more likely the lake monster shows up and starts eating.

Zombies counted as two models.

Fishing village, everyone gone, rats, wolves, zombies, and seagulls.

And the lake monster who just took bites out of a random figure in the water.

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

I know it was a a major blow (but a satisfying end) when my Five Leagues from the Borderlands crew lost all but two heroes to permadeath in one climactic fight.  At this point, not even story points will save the party.

I've wanted to play 5 leagues for a couple years now but never get around to it. We've seriously been considering doing 5 Parsecs because the kids printed and painted some minis from the video game Deep Rock Galactic. Even dug out a lot of old 40K minis that haven't been used since about the time the boys were born. But I've been going hard with Blitzkreig Commander and printing 1/285 WW2 armies. We've been playing every day or two, the printer is churning out things every day and I've even painted a couple battalions worth of bases for germans and canadians in Normandy.

• Like 8
11 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

I'm feeling very down tonight. 

My mask of fully functioning adult is wearing thin. 

I spent most of the morning fighting with my remote-Ed first grader, trying to get mini-spawn to write or read, or anything. (her math is fine) 

Her teacher was out today so it was just me, her and a list of tasks. 

spent another hour and a half driving around, shopping with children,  mostly unsuccessfully.  Each individual decision seemed rational but it wasted a lot of time. 

I don't have a job other than Stay-at-home Dad  and right now I really hate it. 

There don't seem to be good days, just neutral and awful.  

I should go to bed, but that means I have to do it all again that much sooner.  

Sorry,  needed to vent. 

Hang in there, better times will come!

• Like 6
36 minutes ago, TGP said:

But is the wedding shower being rescheduled?

In retrospect, should have double checked that before starting to bake cookies with the supplies we have. Just got a message from the MoH this morning that they are rescheduling now.

On the plus side, what was baked so far were all hearts that is generic enough they will be easy to unload.

• Like 11

SNOW DAY!!!!:bday::bday:

Technically, I haven't been to work yet this week due to weather related shenanigans, but this is the first day I can actually enjoy it. I woke up Monday morning, fed the cats and was heading to the shower when the power went out. That was approximately 7:30 am. We didn't get power back until about 3pm yesterday afternoon. The no lights/stove/any other modern electrical gadget part wasn't too bad( we have plenty of candles/flashlights and enough no cooking required food to get by ), but our heat is also electric. 30+ hours with no heat wasn't a lot of fun. The first thing I did when we lost power was to turn the kitchen sink on just a little bit, so we didn't lose water/have the pipes freeze. Thankfully, being a recent transplant from the Northeast, we still have lots of warm clothes and good blankets, so we managed ok. Our house is also pretty good for natural light, so we could do stuff during the day.

(I'm not sure reading a book set in the Yukon was helping me feel any warmer, though:lol:).

To put a little bit of a positive on everything, it got cold enough inside the house that we didn't lose any food in the refrigerator even with it being off for so long, though.

I'm probably not going to work tomorrow either; the roads are garbage. Yes, I'm from the Northeast and know how to drive in this mess, but I saw enough other people slipping and sliding all over the place when I went out for supplies yesterday that I don't think I'm going to chance it.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 15
Just now, Chaoswolf said:

. Thankfully, being a recent transplant from the Northeast,

This explains soooo much.  You brought your broccoli forsaken weather with you and Texas couldn't handle it!

• Haha 19
1 minute ago, Chaoswolf said:

I'm probably not going to work tomorrow either; the roads are garbage. Yes, I'm from the Northeast and know how to drive in this mess, but I saw enough other people slipping and sliding all over the place when I went out for supplies yesterday that I don't think I'm going to chance it.

Probably the safest bet. You may know how to drive on this nonsense, but for the majority of drivers in this part of the world, not so much

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

This explains soooo much.  You brought your broccoli forsaken weather with you and Texas couldn't handle it!

I was wondering when someone was going to playfully blame ChaosWolf...  Also, don't check the alcohol cabinet, we can confirm from here the run is already gone.... ^_^

• Haha 11