Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

Should be getting the Valley Darke campaign to a good place for rounding it off in about three or four weeks, with the orphans finding a place.

Then, it looks like the kids will be in a modified pirate hunting version of the Regency Space game, without the romance.

The Auld Grump

• Like 8
9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

How are our friends from Texas doing with the blackouts?

Hope everyone is safe and warm.

They got more generating units back online. Several thousand MegaWatts worth. 

(Texas is not the state depicted by JR Ewing and Co. — Big Oil, just oil, the Texas T. Maybe it once was that, but no longer.)

Texas currently mines coal, pumps natural gas from thousands of wells, there are two Major nuclear plants (one has 8 reactors), there are massive wind farms that can generate 17000 MegaWatts (there are about 6000 square miles of wind farms; for reference Delaware, the state, is only about 2000 square miles), 

there is some solar power, and there is still big oil. 

So Texas is an even bigger energy state than JR ever dreamed of but it was all built to operate between 120F° to 20F° degrees. (49 to —6 Celsius). 

But this mess got colder than that. 

Each different system found a different way to fail. GEM made a good post explaining why lots of wind turbines went offline.

Solar works poorly with snow piled on the panels. 

Turns out natural gas pipelines and pumps can freeze. 
Not sure what side lined some coal plants,  but some went down. 
The South Texas nuclear plant had some issues. 
~~~~~~~~~~

The Griffins lair?

Power has remained on (starting to think proximity to a police station might have something to do with that.)

Water is getting dodgy...pressure is not what it should be at every fixture...I might have some frozen pipes or a water heater that has shut down. 
I have over 10 gallons of bottled water stashed. 
It looks like I am now in the boil water order...I wasn’t initially.

~~~~~~~~~~
It should start to thaw by Saturday. 

9B79DC53-0CB8-40FC-94FA-B9E93C49DD54.thumb.jpeg.4c3100b2f03e39c7808a143e0368de24.jpeg

Today’s picture out the window. That antenna mast is the police station. 

• Like 16
11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Well, more snow last night, another 2-3 inches. Still snowing and in the teens temp wise. Friday it is supposed to get warm enough to start melting and by Monday in the 50s.

Anyone else here ever build a new character because you found a mini you wanted to use?

Yup, all the time. Most recent is a NPC/encounter the Saturday gang will encounter. She is a ghost of a great dwarf leader. I had already printed up a couple of great looking dwarves but looking for a pic to show the players I came across one wielding a great axe that I really liked so I'm in the process of changing the mini. Oddly, her great axe is gonna take almost as much time to print off as it did the main part....

As far as the game, I'm hoping we can run it this weekend, forecast is for more snow, hopefully we only get a little bit & the mtns around us get most of it. I'm monitoring the weather. I'll call the game Friday morning if need be.

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Remember that ceiling drip I complained about a month ago? It's back. I'm inclined to think it's coming from the roof now. The sun was out long enough today to melt some snow (though we're still well below freezing temp), and voila, now the drip is back after not dripping once for three weeks or so. Though it didn't do this a few days ago when the sun melted some as well. Grrrrr.

Never got the chance to have anything looked at; wicked ice and snow the night before the inspector was coming to take a look, couldn't risk him falling. And all that crud is still here, plus interest. Supposedly more coming tonight too, so got to just wait it out for now. If it is the roof, insurance might have it covered.

I'm ready to just move to Hawaii.

75351761.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Whoooo, finally got pics taken of a few things, although not all of the things I want to or should take pics of. 

Now comes the "fun" part of editing them. 

So instead of editing the pics, I got started on building my second gunpla, because it's blue, and I'm just in a blue (and purple) kinda mood, aka I'd rather go cross-eyed trimming and cleaning parts than cross-eyed editing pics. 

Guess it works in my favour, since I'll unearth the other things that needed photos taken tomorrow, so I'll only wind up sitting down editing photos once. ^_^ seems like the way to go... :devil::ph34r:

• Like 9
1 hour ago, TGP said:

They got more generating units back online. Several thousand MegaWatts worth. 

(Texas is not the state depicted by JR Ewing and Co. — Big Oil, just oil, the Texas T. Maybe it once was that, but no longer.)

Texas currently mines coal, pumps natural gas from thousands of wells, there are two Major nuclear plants (one has 8 reactors), there are massive wind farms that can generate 17000 MegaWatts (there are about 6000 square miles of wind farms; for reference Delaware, the state, is only about 2000 square miles), 

there is some solar power, and there is still big oil. 

So Texas is an even bigger energy state than JR ever dreamed of but it was all built to operate between 120F° to 20F° degrees. (49 to —6 Celsius). 

But this mess got colder than that. 

Each different system found a different way to fail. GEM made a good post explaining why lots of wind turbines went offline.

Solar works poorly with snow piled on the panels. 

Turns out natural gas pipelines and pumps can freeze. 
Not sure what side lined some coal plants,  but some went down. 
The South Texas nuclear plant had some issues. 
~~~~~~~~~~

The Griffins lair?

Power has remained on (starting to think proximity to a police station might have something to do with that.)

Water is getting dodgy...pressure is not what it should be at every fixture...I might have some frozen pipes or a water heater that has shut down. 
I have over 10 gallons of bottled water stashed. 
It looks like I am now in the boil water order...I wasn’t initially.

~~~~~~~~~~
It should start to thaw by Saturday. 

9B79DC53-0CB8-40FC-94FA-B9E93C49DD54.thumb.jpeg.4c3100b2f03e39c7808a143e0368de24.jpeg

Today’s picture out the window. That antenna mast is the police station. 

Natural Gas lines froze because they weren't buried below the frost line.

Coal and Nuke Plants were put offline because of control system components that were exposed and couldn't handle the too far below freezing temps.

A lot of people doing the Monday Morning Quarterback routine and telling Texas what they "should have done", while not comprehending that this is a once in a generation storm situation.

Stay warm my friends.  This too will pass.

GEM

Addendum:  Water Treatment Plants have been suffering with the same control failures as the Electrical Generating Plants.  Thus the need to boil water.  Which I guess highlights the need for a bottled propane source of heat for cooking when the power goes out.

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Once in a generation events seen to be occurring at a *slightly* faster over than their name suggests...

Totally unrelated to the weather, and totally related to bring up at 2am... The forum could use a dark mode.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Once in a generation events seen to be occurriRg at a *slightly* faster over than their name suggests...

Totally unrelated to the weather, and totally related to bring up at 2am... The forum could use a dark mode.

It might seem that way but the last time most of Texas saw weather this cold was circa 1989.

We are in what is called the Maunder Minimum,  named for the scientist that correctly plotted the cyclical nature of the sun's output.  It's a roughly 11 year cycle where the suns output goes to a normal maximum and then a normal minimum in a sinusoidal wave pattern.

Right now we are near the minimum in the cycle, where sunspot activity is at its lowest and the suns surface is at its lowest temp. This is the indication on the surface of the lower energy activity inside and the lower energy output impinging on planet earth. The low sunspot activity coincides with a reduction in the magnetic flux lines breaking the surface and the lower energy output.  Soon the cycle will begin to go up and we will see increased sunspot activity and magnetic flux lines, increased radio interference, and an uptick in energetic weather activities.  The arctic jet stream will stay farther north and our weather patterns will be under greater influence from the warmer oceanic upwellings due to the increased solar input.

And so the cycle will contine with fluctuations due to the nuclear furnace in the sky operating the way such things do, until that time when the mathematical balance goes off balance from the nuclear fuel cycle running its course and our sun turns into a red giant and finally a brown dwarf.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
10 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Alas, the modern world continues to leave me behind.

Fancied a takeaway for dinner, but nothing from the usual delivery company grabbed me, so I had a look at what different restaurants their rivals delivered, found something nice and... Couldn't make an account, both rival companies required me to have a mobile phone number.

In the end I settled for making a couple ham and cheese toasties.

I dunno about over there, but in the states if you send a text to a landline you get a creepy robot voice reciting the text. Which means you don’t actually need a mobile phone anyway.

Assuming you don’t mind the creepy robot voice.

• Like 8

With the return of the Yellow Orb That Burns and Blinds, came higher temperatures, and the thaw is beginning earlier than I thought it would...

Which means it's kinda raining in the dining room now. I got outside this afternoon and attacked the pile in the corner of the roof with a roof rake, but there is still somewhere between an inch to three inches of ice all over the roof. So I threw some hockey puck sized melting discs up there as well. 

I was hoping that instead of going down like this, that the snow would stick around until early March, where what melts during the day would not refreeze at night... but as usual the sun has foiled my plans.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

Historic moments from today's date:

• 1885 – Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain was published in the United States.

• 1911 – The first official flight with airmail took place from Allahabad, United Provinces, British India (now India), when Henri Pequet, a 23-year-old pilot, delivered 6,500 letters to Naini, roughly 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) away.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
6 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

... *grumble* Want. A game. I miss the Saturday game. 

Anybody planning to start one? I can get you two players for PF1, no problem. >.>

The commute might be a pain, but hey I'm sure I can round up some people here to make a group.....

• Like 5
  • Haha 5