Jump to content

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TGP said:

 

I was gonna get a box of some sort, take whatever I cared about keeping cold, shove it in there, and set it on the back porch if the power had failed. It was below freezing out there.

 

 

 

Here's how they keep the important stuff cold during snowstorms up this way.
Image result for newfoundland snow beer fridge

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I have.... beekeeperish opinions about dogs like huskies living in climates like Texas, but that  really was pretty cute.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

that's why there are cameras pointing in different directions.  to make it harder for the aliens to broccoli with the probe. 

 

 

mars.thumb.jpg.febde2c3c203ddf203635f58a5abcc60.jpg

 

 

png-clipart-marvin-the-martian-in-the-th

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

On today's date in history:

  • 1674 – England and the Netherlands sign the Treaty of Westminster, ending the Third Anglo-Dutch War. A provision of the agreement transfers the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam to England, and it is renamed New York.

  • 1985 – William J. Schroeder becomes the first recipient of an artificial heart to leave the hospital.

 

We were thinking about wanting it back, but not before you guys clean it up and hand it over in it's original state.:devil:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TGP said:

It is supposed to go up above freezing by :huh: Friday….? Should be a touch less cold in your neck of the woods. So good news?

 

Ah yes, lack of sleep had me off by a day haha, thanks! Last night was very cold, tonight will be "just" cold, and tomorrow will be well above freezing. We're still going to wait until Monday to get groceries for safety from the big crowds (and because there just aren't any groceries). My rheumatologist and physical therapy appointments were understandably cancelled for this week, but it's gonna take forever to get a spot again. Thankfully, our vaccines weren't cancelled for the third time, so we got our first shot today. But we made it through and count ourselves lucky - while we were the longest without power, a few of our friends have extensive water damage to repair now. We'll be dropping off some extra cooked food next week to help ease the load a bit.

 

We're gonna give ourselves time to relax tonight, try to recover from the last few weeks of bad stuff, and make sure the power stays before we start printing again. Then it's back to life! ... Yay...? Yay! :lol:

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:
6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

On today's date in history:

  • 1674 – England and the Netherlands sign the Treaty of Westminster, ending the Third Anglo-Dutch War. A provision of the agreement transfers the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam to England, and it is renamed New York.

  • 1985 – William J. Schroeder becomes the first recipient of an artificial heart to leave the hospital.

 

We were thinking about wanting it back, but not before you guys clean it up and hand it over in it's original state.

 

I believe there was an ill-conceived idea in recent years of buying Greenland from Denmark.:wacko:  I'm open to giving you Staten Island if you can convince the Danes to give us Greenland never ever entertain that idea.

Edited by ManvsMini
fixed
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ManvsMini said:
48 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:
6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

On today's date in history:

  • 1674 – England and the Netherlands sign the Treaty of Westminster, ending the Third Anglo-Dutch War. A provision of the agreement transfers the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam to England, and it is renamed New York.

  • 1985 – William J. Schroeder becomes the first recipient of an artificial heart to leave the hospital.

 

We were thinking about wanting it back, but not before you guys clean it up and hand it over in it's original state.

 

I believe there was an ill-conceived idea in recent years of buying Greenland from Denmark.:wacko:  I'm open to giving you Staten Island if you can convince the Danes to give us Greenland.

 

:huh: How did Denmark wind up with Greenland when it was Norse/Icelanders that tried settling it?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TGP said:

:huh: How did Denmark wind up with Greenland when it was Norse/Icelanders that tried settling it?

 

The same way territories always change hands: the rise and fall of power from various nations.

 

It's actually pretty interesting. I suggest reading on Wikipedia about Greenland's history, which will have you reading about Norwegian and Danish history. Quite a rabbit hole.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TGP said:

 

:huh: How did Denmark wind up with Greenland when it was Norse/Icelanders that tried settling it?

I'm going to guess it has a lot to do with king Harald Bluetooth, though it might be more modern than that even.  Either way trump didn't buy it, so it's still Danish. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...