Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

35 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Can you only make stuff like chili/curry etc in an instant pot?

Or can you make a dish like potatoes/veggies and grilled meat in one turn?

Or is that a multicooker?

No, there's quite a bit you can do in them. Whole chickens, beans, pot roast, the list goes on.  You can make dried pinto beans from the bag to the table  in about an hour, no overnight soak required. Mrs Wulf has made a dang good cheesecake in one in about half an hour plus chilling.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I believe Instant Pot is a brand name of multicooker. We have a Foodi Ninja brand and are very happy with it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

grilled no. 

it'd be like a pot roast. the thing keeps liquid in

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
I'd love it if spellcheck would stop changing it'd to it's
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Oh boy, just confirmed, in three weeks they will replace our kitchen with a new one.

So..about 3 or 4 weeks of having to make do with other means to cook for a while till they're finished.

Between taking out the old kitchen, plaster the wall/ceiling, do the electricity water things, place the new kitchen etc etc... it will probably take that long.

Now to see how we're going to cook without the kitchen for a while.

I'm thinking to set the microwave/oven up in the cellar, we have a cellar where we have electricity and water.

Maybe some other kind of small cooker.

I do have a BBQ so hoping there will be a few days I can use that one.

It will be a challenge, but in the end we will have a new kitchen which will hopefully last us our lifetime..

Might I suggest a crockpot and a hot plate for your consideration?

GEM

Addendum:  Ninjad on the crockpot.  Surprised nobody has suggested a hot plate as one of these lets you use your regular pots and pans and will do stuff [like grilling or boiling water]] that a crockpot/instapot won't, or will only do with great difficulty.

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Might I suggest a crockpot and a hot plate for your consideration?

GEM

A hot plate for sure.

Now looking into the crockpot/slowcooker/multicooker area..

What I want is basically something to "replace" the kitchen with for a few weeks so we can eat.

• Like 7

I got my wife a Instant Pot for her bday & I got her a cookbook for it for Christmas. So far we haven't used it but we'll change that this year. It's looks to be a very versatile piece of equipment for the kitchen. Besides, you can get this for it!!

71dMUUXjrfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Prepping for this Saturday's game is allot different this time as I'll be starting my vacation (or technically it's my 2nd day off this week, Sunday is official). Players are wrapping up the current trilogy from Baldman Games called "The Fairheights Trilogy" & this adventure is "Beneath the Cairnwell". The PCs finally know who is behind the attacks on the dwarf clans & are heading to face her, a black shadow dragon!! In this adventure they'll face off against orcs (nice being able to throw in the variety of orc types in 5e), some fey (kelpies! Reaper minis of course), corpse flower & assassin vines (this is nasty encounter!!) & some dungeon traps.

Of course the final battle is vs the black shadow dragon, along with some black drake guards (thinking of changing these to shadow black drake guards, we shall see). It's always fun throwing the game's namesake at players. Since we don't follow AL rules when it comes to how the games start (ie party just doesn't show up, gotta connect the adventures) I decided that before they even enter the cairn, they'll get attacked by a wandering hill giant (Look out for that rock!!). Looking forward to this!!

Not to mention, Virtual Con will be happening as well!!

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

On 3/1/2021 at 5:16 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

New mini, who dis?

16146403919928852081612635389894.thumb.jpg.b70edb292e04eeb892722e7b3b2f17d9.jpg

Everyone else already answered this correctly, but I felt the need to tell you that he was sculpted my Mark Copplestone.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'm thinking to set the microwave/oven up in the cellar, we have a cellar where we have electricity and water.

Did that a few years ago.  Microwave, toaster and coffee pot set up in another room.  Did a lot of non-cooking meals, like sandwiches and salads, pre-made soup and chili from the freezer, prepared meals from the grocery store, take out bbq and gyros.   The bigger issues were space for chopping and prepping food, and then cleaning up after, since we had no counters and only a tiny sink in the basement.  Had a lot of paper plates and forks left from our wedding and other events so we mostly used disposables. (We had them and they were taking up space) FWIW. YMMV. 

Went by the FLGS today..... discontinued Reaper paints and Secret Weapon washes marked down to $2 per bottle! SCORE! 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

So had a surprise visit from the roofer today to look into the dang leak (I say surprise because no one told me, despite dad having had 30 minutes notice... I had 30 seconds notice to move everything out of the way to the access point). According to him, it's not the roof needing more vent space, it's a pipe that he felt leaking... which the plumber looked at last week.

So, who to trust? the plumber says it's a condensation and vent problem, and pocketed $60 for 5 minutes of actual work. The roofer says it's a leaky pipe, and charged nothing for the consult, and took proper safety precautions... I'm going to go with the roofer. And not hire that plumber. Which means I now have the honor of fixing it myself once it warms up enough.

I've been assured that it'll be easy by dad, just cutting a section of pipe out, fitting a new one and chemical welding the couplings together. I just need to not fall through the ceiling. Going to be an adventure at some point. Luckily it's a vent pipe, so I don't need to shut off any water.

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Oh boy, just confirmed, in three weeks they will replace our kitchen with a new one.

So..about 3 or 4 weeks of having to make do with other means to cook for a while till they're finished.

Between taking out the old kitchen, plaster the wall/ceiling, do the electricity water things, place the new kitchen etc etc... it will probably take that long.

It will be a challenge, but in the end we will have a new kitchen which will hopefully last us our lifetime..

If you have steel pots, a portable induction burner or two work really nice.

For work surfaces maybe pick up a couple of big cutting boards.

We use our old school slow cookers for stews and pulled pork and lots of things. Haven't looked at getting a multicooker yet.

Plan ahead for simpler meals (not so fancy you!) :poke:, and assuming you have a freezer, wouldn't hurt to prep some meals in advance that can just be thawed and heated.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ok, first off always odd to see a state of Oregon commercial on Idaho stations but just seen one showing a baby shower outside with 6 women & it's pouring down rain. The message was about social distancing & such.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

ALL THINGS BARBECUE!!!!!!

8 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

1361677987635.thumb.jpg.f8a9f343b600e41cf388fcbaf5a2d6d0.jpg

Ah, I see that @buglips*the*goblin is displaying his vaunted negotiating skills.

• Haha 12