Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 minute ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Depends on the age of the crockpot. The older it is, the more set in it's ways the machine spirit has become so your first attempted use will set the stage for all uses to follow. However, seeing as how you defeated a gazebo, I wouldn't worry too much over this. 

Newer pots have a less potent animating spirit and are easier to enthrall, but with the downside that food cooked therein will have a less robust flavor than the older pots, due to the inexperience of the machine spirit. 

I will make sure to incite the right incatations before use then.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:
1 hour ago, Crowley said:

An instant pot would probably be really useful!

So you mean a slowcooker or crockpot?

I have been thinking about that.

Are they easy to master?

No, an instant pot is an electric pressure cooker that has a bunch of useful settings, including slow cooker, rice, soup, chili, multigran, yogurt, saute, rice... couple of others depending on the model.  They're relatively easy to use.

Slow cookers are stupidly easy to use but of a more limited use. I got by with a really basic one that had 4 settings: High, Low, Warm, Off. I'd put stuff into it, turn it on low, go to work for 13 hours, and come home to a super yummy meal (usually stew or chili).

IPs are more expensive, running around $100 (but you can usually get them on sale for cheaper) while a slow cooker will run you... $25? More if you get a fancy one. You don't need a fancy one probably.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

So you mean a slowcooker or crockpot?

I have been thinking about that.

Are they easy to master?

Instant Pot is a brand name for what Crowley has already described the functions of.  They're pretty handy devices.  I want one so bad because of the variety of things they can do. 

Crock Pot is a brand of slow cooker (but like tissue paper and Kleenex, most people call slow cookers crock pots whether they're made by that company or not).  Slow cookers are fairly easy to use, and are especially great for things like roasts, stews, and a variety of other things.  Rumour is @TheAuldGrump is a master of the device around these parts.. 

Slow cookers you need to know one thing though: most are designed in a way nowadays that hi and low settings will eventually be at the same heat, it just takes longer on low.  Mine for example will get to max temperature in 3.5 hours on hi, and 6 hours on low.  Hi is handy for when you want something started at or just after lunch to be ready for supper, while low is handy for things like stew or a roast, since you want a slower cook time as the meat gets really tender. 

48 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

plug in, turn on high, dump food into it........ instant meal....

I AM NOT MUCH OF A COOK>>>>>> do not listen to me. 

Actually, that's about how you use a slow cooker.  You forgot the "start it before going to bed or going to work" step before instant meal, since most slow cooker recipes call for at least 3.5-4 hours of cooking time.  The big thing that one wants to learn with a slow cooker is layering affects cook times. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I’ve been using my Instant Pot quite a bit the past year.  It is relatively simple; the killer application from my point of view is the ability to cook with dry beans in a reasonable amount of time.  Mine has a slow cooker/crock pot setting in addition to the pressure cooker function, but I have not tried it. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Can you only make stuff like chili/curry etc in an instant pot?

Or can you make a dish like potatoes/veggies and grilled meat in one turn?

Or is that a multicooker?

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Yes, yes, and I don’t know what a multicooker is. Instant pots are ridiculously versatile. Right now my instant pot is slow cooking a pork shoulder into pulled pork. 

You can even get an air fryer lid for it!

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I cook in my crockpot a lot. I usually start things on Saturday night or afternoon and they are finished sometime Sunday. I have a lot of crockpot (see slow cooker, same thing) recipes. Another thing to remember is you can still burn things in a slow cooker, it just takes longer. So, be mindful of that. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

No, there's quite a bit you can do in them. Whole chickens, beans, pot roast, the list goes on.  You can make dried pinto beans from the bag to the table  in about an hour, no overnight soak required. Mrs Wulf has made a dang good cheesecake in one in about half an hour plus chilling.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I believe Instant Pot is a brand name of multicooker. We have a Foodi Ninja brand and are very happy with it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

grilled no. 

it'd be like a pot roast. the thing keeps liquid in

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
I'd love it if spellcheck would stop changing it'd to it's
  • Like 7
4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Oh boy, just confirmed, in three weeks they will replace our kitchen with a new one.

So..about 3 or 4 weeks of having to make do with other means to cook for a while till they're finished.

Between taking out the old kitchen, plaster the wall/ceiling, do the electricity water things, place the new kitchen etc etc... it will probably take that long.

Now to see how we're going to cook without the kitchen for a while.

I'm thinking to set the microwave/oven up in the cellar, we have a cellar where we have electricity and water.

Maybe some other kind of small cooker.

I do have a BBQ so hoping there will be a few days I can use that one.

It will be a challenge, but in the end we will have a new kitchen which will hopefully last us our lifetime..

Might I suggest a crockpot and a hot plate for your consideration?

GEM

Addendum:  Ninjad on the crockpot.  Surprised nobody has suggested a hot plate as one of these lets you use your regular pots and pans and will do stuff [like grilling or boiling water]] that a crockpot/instapot won't, or will only do with great difficulty.

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2