Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

14 hours ago, Crowley said:

Thumper pictures are welcome even when you're not on vacation.

RVE was a little disapointing overall, but not because of anything to do with RVE, but rather the fact that Mrs. Hamster and the Hamsterling both seemed to think that the perfect time to do things was during any class I signed up for. Usually these things involved me not painting. *sigh* Still managed to get a bit of painting in, and have handouts, so... that's a plus at least.

D&D tonight was fun, but even with a relatively high level party, 10 giant rats is a pain in the elf when you don't have a good area effect option. We really need to find a level 1 or 2 wizard who can cast sleep to drag along with us.

WHISKEY!

I couldn't get into RVE this year either.  everytime I went to join a class, something else came up.  Not sure why it didn't work out.  OTOH my older son had a great time and got 3 classes in as well as 4 games so, from this household, I think it was more timing than a missed opportunity.  I do hope they continue the RVEs.  the One or 2 classes I did get to were very good.

as for hireling wizards, they tend to be expensive, they can make a decent living with just a shop front. However, there are other, less professional magic users that might be available...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was rather disappointed with the RVE, I was alwys in the middle of something when they broadcast and the one time I logged in 10 mins in it said they would be right back. I logged off. The one class I tried to do, well I was 20 mins late and could not figure out how to get there, so I played video game instead...... The give aways were nice, but I bowed out early Saturday morning because I kept get notifications while I was helping the wife build her shelves in the closet...... she gets annoyed by my phone going off every '5 mins' asking me if it is my girlfriend texting me. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

I was rather disappointed with the RVE,

I still can't figure out discord and it just starts irritating me after ten minutes of clicking around and getting nowhere.  I didn't see anything about give aways.  I saw two drawings by vendors for products for a game I don't play.  On the classes side, I managed to catch one I missed last fall at the first virtual event.  I sat in on one panel that was mostly the speakers talking about themselves. 

I had a lot to do this weekend, too. The weather window between the end of snow and the beginning of chigger season is very narrow here. It's going to be a busy few weeks. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I had a lot to do this weekend, too. The weather window between the end of snow and the beginning of chigger season is very narrow here. It's going to be a busy few weeks. 

I know that feeling. luckily, I have chickens and a goat, so no grass.....or rather very little despite having two lots. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Colonel Kane said:

The one class I tried to do, well I was 20 mins late and could not figure out how to get there

49 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I still can't figure out discord and it just starts irritating me after ten minutes of clicking around and getting nowhere.

Maybe for future virtual expos it would be worth posting tutorial videos on the main expo website on how to get to classes and a brief rundown of how the RVE Discord works. And posting them a week in advance so people can watch and know what to do.

• Like 14

25 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Maybe for future virtual expos it would be worth posting tutorial videos on the main expo website on how to get to classes and a brief rundown of how the RVE Discord works. And posting them a week in advance so people can watch and know what to do.

And a version that is text with screenshots for those of us for whom video just doesn't /work/.

As best I could tell, a lot of getting around the RVE Discord involved picking up roles, and the instructions for that were, iirc, in the Announcements thread. 

As useful as Discord can be, there's a learning curve, and I am right there with 'how do I even?!' and 'How does that even?!', because there's stuff people are doing with Discord that I absolutely don't understand, and am intimidated by. :/

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

image.png.1ee397ebe24062c7c3cf642d571859d0.png
Delivery updates can be so torturous......

According to the post office web site, the postal truck is supposed to be delivering a box of toy soldiers to me today, so I can sympathize.  I’ve got a 28mm f2.8 film lens compatible with my digital SLR; the short profile would be nice on that, but I don’t know that a 4mm difference on the focal length would give me enough extra capability to be worth paying for...

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:
42 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

And a version that is text with screenshots for those of us for whom video just doesn't /work/.

I sent Jon a PM with the suggestion. I'm sure he's off recuperating, so it'll be waiting for his perusal once he catches up on sleep. The man worked very hard this weekend!

• Like 10

From Reaper Discord, Miniature Monday channel:

Mini Painting Studio Today at 9:29 AM

MM isnt happening since its everyones day off @ Reaper after the xpo however i will be doing a 2 hour private lesson for everyone to watch as we finish up a warhammer 40k project from 1 to 3

His Twitch channel is live now:  https://www.twitch.tv/minipaintingstudio

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

According to the post office web site, the postal truck is supposed to be delivering a box of toy soldiers to me today, so I can sympathize.  I’ve got a 28mm f2.8 film lens compatible with my digital SLR; the short profile would be nice on that, but I don’t know that a 4mm difference on the focal length would give me enough extra capability to be worth paying for...

Not sure. This one is very affordable but it is only for canon APS-C cameras, should function about like a 40mm on a full frame sensor.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

WOOF denies forming a new Cyberwolf Squad.

image.png.6a3fa52ef10fdbbba175a8aba88b6594.png

What about space bears?  Ariadna Kosmoflot has space bears.  No minis yet, although a lot of the Infinity rumour mill seems dead set focused on an Ariadna vs Nomads bundling for the next Operation box.  Or Ariadna vs HaqqIslam - I like this one for some reason! 

1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

I know the feeling.  CanadaPost won't track something I have inbound, so USPS just says "was processed in a facility in CANADA" and I'm all "thanks for not saying much automated tracking updates" 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

I'm in the same boat. Amazon order with my printer fan in it. I kinda wanna get in to that, today. I guess tomorrow, I got my days mixed up...grrr

RVE: Hmmmm, I guess it went the way I thought it would, at least for me. After I bowed out of running the games it felt like anther weekend for me. It won't replace a in person Con. The whole being out of the house with other people is one reason I like Cons. It's nice for people that can't make it in person or can't afford it. It's just not for me. Typing or chatting while staring at a computer screen is not a Con experience no matter how much they advertise it as a Con. I've never or needed to use Zoom.

I did save (well if you call it that) some cash on a big order thanks to browsing the Discord channels. I guess having the order ready in my cart was the deciding factor for it. At 20 mins after I remembered my airbrush class, eh oh well. As I ordered my first PPV from DirectTV last night I didn't want to miss out on that, even thou that was close to an hour after I remembered my class. I wasn't in the mood to stare at the screen before staring at anther screen (tv).

AEW Revolution was a nice wrestling event. The main event match was ok, but the "explosions" were very weak, especially the final ones. It was nice to watch tv wrestling without soooooooo many damn commercials, especially in match picture in picture ones (god, I hate those...)

• Like 6