Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Playing Skyrim with a castle mod Grump recommended, Clockwork.

Thanks Grump, I will name tonight's nightmare after you.

I haven't even reached the castle yet, and it is creepy AF.

Good mod, but if the castle is as scary as the way you get there, my character is going to leave the place and never, ever look back.

I'm rather surprised that I never came across it in my arduous trek through the Skyrim mods, it's something I'll have to try when I get back to the game again. So far, one of my favourite mods has been Legacy of the Dragonborn, which scratches my collect-all-the-things itch something fierce.

• Like 7

Just now, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I'm rather surprised that I never came across it in my arduous trek through the Skyrim mods, it's something I'll have to try when I get back to the game again. So far, one of my favourite mods has been Legacy of the Dragonborn, which scratches my collect-all-the-things itch something fierce.

Question, I'm not that familiar with how Mods work.

I have Skyrim installed ( STEAM) suppose I want to try a mod, do I need to uninstall and only have the Mod version installed?

Or can you have both versions simultanious on the PC?

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question, I'm not that familiar with how Mods work.

I have Skyrim installed ( STEAM) suppose I want to try a mod, do I need to uninstall and only have the Mod version installed?

Or can you have both versions simultanious on the PC?

You can install the main game and add mods to it as normal. There's definitely a bit of a learning curve to it, some things interact with each other in odd and annoying ways. Usually I use the Nexus Mod Manager to get them from their site, it installs them pretty easily. Some mods require SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender), which needs to be installed into the folder manually. There's a tool called LOOT (Load Operation Optimization Tool) that's helpful, it tries to arrange the mods into the proper sequence to minimize conflicts, and alerts you to patches that may be necessary. It's all a bit involved,  but it's a learning process that you can eventually get through.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Ah wonder of the agr, we actually got a bonus out of last year!  Looks like I'll have to find some toys to spend some of it on... what doesn't go to house repair...

We did too.  Corporate decided the best way to stick to its values was to look at the past year as a...  Coordinated effort, because retail and internet/ship to home did an insane amount of volume - in fact, the warehouses (and production facilities!) were regularly breaking records... 

I'll have to wait a while before I actually get mine.  HR would give those of us who are temporarily laid off our bonuses, but something about it would screw up our EI, so we get those apparently literally the day we come back.  They tried negotiating with the government.  Apparently the government is very strict about such things. 

On another topic, just a few more days to survive through, then I get to try and survive through building a new computer (a fun task), swapping to Windows 10 (something I'm not really looking forward to, other than my controller's wireless dongle working as well as the G-Sync Compatible mode for my main monitor also working), as well as purchasing a wide variety of hobbying tools I didn't realize I needed.  I am looking forward to the 32GB of ram though - I'm regularly running into walls with just the 16GB on my current setup. 

...How I ever survived without sanding sponges and sanding sticks is beyond me.  Oh right, I had ways of getting by such - it's called primer covers up your mistakes and heresy! ::P:  Okay, having decent sanding files helped that too, but some of the stuff I'm working on now isn't as forgiving about such things. 

• Like 8

Tuesday Timeline Trivia for March 9th:

• 1776 – The Wealth of Nations by Scottish economist and philosopher Adam Smith was published.

• 1959 – The Barbie doll made its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York.

• 1997 – Observers in China, Mongolia and eastern Siberia were treated to a rare double feature as an eclipse permits the comet Hale-Bopp to be seen during the day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Had to go to Nevada to try to get our new home moved closer to completion.

The good news is I finished the front porch and steps, constructed a small patio off of the sliding door from the dining room, and we now have working electricity.   I used kits from the Blue Big Box Hardware Store to construct the stair and porch railings, white plastic extrusions for the horizontal pieces and uprights and round anodized aluminum [black] for the uprights with ornamental caps on all the uprights.  Looks really inviting and will look even better when I finish the decorative work around the base of the porch and install planters and landscaping.  Cathy and I both have mobility issues so I built the steps with a 6 inch rise instead of the customary 8".  I can really feel the difference in the amount of strain on my bad knees

The working electricity means the well guy and the propane people are now able to finish their install work. ::):

Bad news is that SWMBO tried to control a heavy door on our mini-barn while a Washo Zephyr [what the old timers call a gale force wind storm] was raging yesterday.

The wind/door won :down: and Cathy has re-injured her bad shoulder.  Scheduled for an X-ray this AM and then the Dr. will determine what needs to be done.  She is in a great amount of pain, and I'm stressed out to the max.

Observation:  In general the people in Northern Nevada are a whole lot kinder on average than what we have been dealing with in SoCal.  Everybody is polite, courteous, and considerate as a matter of course.  The Rat Race isn't running in our new neck of the woods.  One of our neighbors [everybody is on 5 acres or more so "next door neighbor" is a short hike away] says "Everybody watches out for everybody else, and most of us are pretty good shots".  :poke:  There's an informal area to go plinkin' just up a draw less than a mile away from our new digs. :winkthumbs: 

The guy directly behind us is putting up a couple of archery butts, no problem as our lots are each 600 feet deep so any misses will run out of gas long before they can become a concern.  He has had a problem with the local herd of wild horses.  He planted trees without the foresight to put a chicken wire cage around them until they were well established and the horses ate them down to bark, and then ate the bark.  He says he's going to wait until the end of the summer clearance at the Big Box Hardware Stores before he buys any more trees.

The gentleman who subdivided the area is a semi-retired judge who lives almost next door.  There's a sign out front of his property that reads "Justice of the Peace".  That in addition to his part time work  as a sitting judge.

-

About 9 pages behind.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 14
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Had to go to Nevada to try to get our new home moved closer to completion.

The good news is I finished the front porch and steps, constructed a small patio off of the sliding door from the dining room, and we now have working electricity.   I used kits from the Blue Big Box Hardware Store to construct the stair and porch railings, white plastic extrusions for the horizontal pieces and uprights and round anodized aluminum [black] for the uprights with ornamental caps on all the uprights.  Looks really inviting and will look even better when I finish the decorative work around the base of the porch and install planters and landscaping.  Cathy and I both have mobility issues so I built the steps with a 6 inch rise instead of the customary 8".  I can really feel the difference in the amount of strain on my bad knees

The working electricity means the well guy and the propane people are now able to finish their install work. ::):

Bad news is that SWMBO tried to control a heavy door on our mini-barn while a Washo Zephyr [what the old timers call a gale force wind storm] was raging yesterday.

The wind/door won :down: and Cathy has re-injured her bad shoulder.  Scheduled for an X-ray this AM and then the Dr. will determine what needs to be done.  She is in a great amount of pain, and I'm stressed out to the max.

Observation:  In general the people in Northern Nevada are a whole lot kinder on average than what we have been dealing with in SoCal.  Everybody is polite, courteous, and considerate as a matter of course.  The Rat Race isn't running in our new neck of the woods.  One of our neighbors [everybody is on 5 acres or more so "next door neighbor" is a short hike away] says "Everybody watches out for everybody else, and most of us are pretty good shots".  :poke:  There's an informal area to go plinkin' just up a draw less than a mile away from our new digs. :winkthumbs: 

The guy directly behind us is putting up a couple of archery butts, no problem as our lots are each 600 feet deep so any misses will run out of gas long before they can become a concern.  He has had a problem with the local herd of wild horses.  He planted trees without the foresight to put a chicken wire cage around them until they were well established and the horses ate them down to bark, and then ate the bark.  He says he's going to wait until the end of the summer clearance at the Big Box Hardware Stores before he buys any more trees.

The gentleman who subdivided the area is a semi-retired judge who lives almost next door.  There's a sign out front of his property that reads "Justice of the Peace".  That in addition to his part time work  as a sitting judge.

-

About 9 pages behind.

GEM

Sorry to hear about Cathy's shoulder.  Shoulder injuries suck.  They affect so much of your movement.  Mine is fairly minor (but my dominant arm) but when it is acting up it it just makes everything miserable.

Hopefully they can get her patched up fairly quickly.

Everything else sounds lovely though.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1