Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

2 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I have Sprint, both before and post merger. Service-wise, no issues. Customer-service, couldn't tell you, haven't had to talk with them on the phone yet. I will say, many years ago, when they merged with Nextel (13ish years ago?), Sprint customer-service did not go well with me; corporate got a couple letters from me. If it wasn't for the fact that my entire family was on Sprint and it was free to call everyone they would have lost my business. But that was back then.

Yah, it's .. YMMV. In our case, Sprint was the only group offering unlimited - actually unlimited - data. 

. .. ... they tried to talk us out of it. 'Oh, you don't need that!' 

/I/ might not. Andi, who is in IT, and has managers with no concept of boundaries? Yah, he does. 

So, that weighed heavily in Sprint's favor, at the time. Now? Who knows...

• Like 8

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Skynet is starting to get a little creepy. I was searching some stuff this weekend related to a hobby project; I started seeing ads relating to what I searched over the weekend this morning at work. These are 2 totally and separate computers with no connection between them besides the guy behind the keyboard.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I found this on YouTube last night when I was trying to decompress from work. 

Robo-sumo! In which teams of talented Japanese engineers build a self controlling tiny robot warrior whose sole purpose is to punt another tiny robo-warrior out of a predetermined mini sumo ring. 

sumo2-809x445.jpg.84124afbdf7bd144341d2ba72893564a.jpg

The picture doesn't do it justice, so here's the video. I lost it at 0.30 mins and was almost in tears by the end. It's awesome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqxOzKNFks

They are twitchy as can be. I noticed that they seem to have sensors that A) move the bot toward movement; and B) move the bot away from the white line. Seems like the ones with the white flags have them to fool the other sensors into backing away from it, and also to keep the opponent from getting around them.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Ok, Skynet is starting to get a little creepy. I was searching some stuff this weekend related to a hobby project; I started seeing ads relating to what I searched over the weekend this morning at work. These are 2 totally and separate computers with no connection between them besides the guy behind the keyboard.

That you are aware of.

Fakebook and Goulgol are sharing tracking data, and have methods for tracking you in place that can identify and track you when you aren't even on one of their platforms.

I use Firefox as my primary browser and have Anti-Facebook software installed, just because of their aggressive [and frankly creepy to the point of digital stalker] attempts to track and monetize everybody.

Remember, if it's being provided to you "for free" then you are most likely the commodity.

GEM

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I found this on YouTube last night when I was trying to decompress from work. 

Robo-sumo! In which teams of talented Japanese engineers build a self controlling tiny robot warrior whose sole purpose is to punt another tiny robo-warrior out of a predetermined mini sumo ring. 

sumo2-809x445.jpg.84124afbdf7bd144341d2ba72893564a.jpg

The picture doesn't do it justice, so here's the video. I lost it at 0.30 mins and was almost in tears by the end. It's awesome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqxOzKNFks

Those little guys are quite zippy.  When the AI Apocalypse arrives I don't think even I will see it coming...   :wacko:

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

That you are aware of.

Fakebook and Goulgol are sharing tracking data, and have methods for tracking you in place that can identify and track you when you aren't even on one of their platforms.

I use Firefox as my primary browser and have Anti-Facebook software installed, just because of their aggressive [and frankly creepy to the point of digital stalker] attempts to track and monetize everybody.

Remember, if it's being provided to you "for free" then you are most likely the commodity.

GEM

Not only that, they can use your cell data to track your internet activity and predict future activity both on and off the web.  VPN's and secure cell phones are definitely worth looking into.  It's a shame securing one's internet presence is so expensive.  $2000 for a US manufactured cell phone with hardware lockout is a hefty price.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm, unexpected reaction. I showed these two to my bus driver -

image.png.9000f58863cd4d1a1f01aa5c1a331a02.png

Dunn - Ogre

and

image.png.893922f5a224dfb48459f52d1277d1b0.png

Fraia - Dwarf

And her immediate reaction was that they are a couple.

The exact same reaction I had, when I decided to put them in my cops game. :lol:

I'm not the only one that looks at them as a pair of scoundrels!

*EDIT* It's the facial expressions.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

37 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hmmm, unexpected reaction. I showed these two to my bus driver -

image.png.9000f58863cd4d1a1f01aa5c1a331a02.png

Dunn - Ogre

and

image.png.893922f5a224dfb48459f52d1277d1b0.png

Fraia - Dwarf

And her immediate reaction was that they are a couple.

The exact same reaction I had, when I decided to put them in my cops game. :lol:

I'm not the only one that looks at them as a pair of scoundrels!

*EDIT* It's the facial expressions.

The Auld Grump

Good to see that she's left a tankard for him in case he gets thirsty while he's out clubbing. And you know how some people have their wallet on a chain?.............

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Whethat ogre is out “Clubbing” it’s a whole different deal than when Talyor Swift or some other starlet/singer/actress goes clubbing. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

Head feels weiiiiird.  It's also weiiiiird that my headphones stay on nice and firmly. 

Beyond that though, losing a full year's worth of hair growth is lovely.  Hadn't gotten one due to work, then winter. 

In other news, mwa ha ha ha ha, I get to wait like a puppy at the door for Amazon tomorrow!  I playfully say I should make hubby do such since it's HIS PlayStation 5 but I'm a nice hubby :p

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Tuesday Timeline Trivia for March 16th:

• 1621 – Samoset, of the Mohegan tribe, visited the settlers of Plymouth Colony and greets them in English, becoming the first Native American to make contact with the Pilgrims.

• 1898 – In Melbourne the representatives of five colonies adopted a constitution, which would become the basis of the Commonwealth of Australia.

• 1926 – Robert Goddard launches the first liquid-fueled rocket, at Auburn, Massachusetts.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3